Kickstarter is Cancelled

Consultant

Kickstarter is Cancelled

Postby Consultant » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:57 pm

My friends, I just posted this on the Kickstarter forums as an update on our Kickstarter:

Thank you, Ship of Heroes supporters! If you backed the Kickstarter that began on April 4th, to help us bring Ship of Heroes to life, then we have an important update for you.

We’ve had a very successful first day of fundraising, and then a slowdown. It does not look to us like we will reach our current goal of $400,000. So we did what we usually do, we listened to you, our supporters, to see what you are thinking. And we have drawn some conclusions. We went to Kickstarter too early. Our goal was high, and surprisingly many potential donors are only hearing about Ship of Heroes for the first time right now; they are understandably confused about some aspects of the game, and hesitant to support it just yet.

So we spent the last couple of days figuring out what we should do.

We’ve decided to cancel the current Kickstarter, and jump straight back into development of Ship of Heroes, putting out steady progress updates and raising awareness of the game. Since we won’t have Kickstarter funding as a resource, we're going to enable our most committed supporters to donate on our website. Meanwhile, we'll focus on core features, scaling our development to the amount of money available. We’ll limit the initial Ship of Heroes launch to missions and enemies in the already-built level, Apotheosis City, and to the first 20 levels of character advancement.

Whatever happens, we are completely committed to launching Ship of Heroes. You’ve already seen what we can develop in less than a year. We’ve built enough of the game that we expect to launch the revised version around the end of 2018. So we are working towards a more tightly-defined game, one with an earlier release date. Our long-term vision of a large ship with multiple levels visiting planets has not changed; we just need to link our schedule and scope to our revenues.

What this means for all of you who have pledged to our current Kickstarter is that your pledges will be returned to you. You have incurred no cost so far – but your support means everything to us, and to Ship of Heroes.

The fact that so many of you have backed us proves to me that this game fills a void in the current MMORPG community. We are going to launch this new city into the galaxy together, and we truly appreciate your support. Stay tuned on our website for further updates, including our next set of development milestones.

We hope to see you in Apotheosis City next year!

A1fighter

Re: Kickstarter is Cancelled

Postby A1fighter » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:20 pm

I bet CoT and VO are getting a kick out of this

Probably for the best, still have my support. Some KS get mass burst, but why risk a failed KS?

Interested in seeing your next move.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:24 pm

What can we do for you? As you are committed to finishing the game, there are many of us that are committed to doing what we can to help you.

Are you going to have a donation station on site, or a Patreon link so we can put our money where our mouths are?

I still have $100 with your name on it. Show me how I can get it to you.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:38 pm

Depending the progress of the alpha is Steam EA an option? I am shuddering with the rest of you, but there are some good games over there, but more often than not, you will mostly get Ark Survival Evolved titles that plan on staying in EA, releasing paid dlc in EA, and milking player wallets in EA.

Coyote

Postby Coyote » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:41 pm

Don't forget to visit the various sites such as Titan Network, where there may be posts about the SoH Kickstarter, and put a notice on those threads that the KS is on hold.

Jasix

Postby Jasix » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:42 pm

While I am extremely saddened that the KS did not work out... I am still very much hopeful for the future of SoH.

I think one of the main things that worked against the KS was the burn/anger A LOT of people feel who committed to the City of Titans KS; $600k+ 4 years ago and practically nothing to show for that money. Thankfully I was not one of those people; because unlike I do with SoH... I never had faith in CoT.

Another issue that you will need to address before another KS is your social media presence. Social media is a great way of free advertising, but SoH lacks in this department; both in followers and in content. We live in a time when people want more information more often.

As mentioned earlier... a Kickstarter needs to be very concise. People don't want to (and shouldn't) have to ask general questions on the sites forums or on the actual Kickstarter page to get simple answers. I have seen other kickstarters that actually post their kickstarter information to their core base; like you would do that on the forums. Ask them to review it and ask them if they have any questions, concerns, comments... all before going live with their kickstarter. This type of involvement by core users will help you identify a more broad sense of what people want to know, what people want in the rewards, and identify anything that people do not understand.

I look forward to seeing how SoH progresses and know that with a more focused and polished presentation...the next Kickstarter will be a success.
Original backer #122.

Montaris

Postby Montaris » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:13 pm

What I would suggest is what most games have been doing that I have saw as of late. Get your game onto Steam and then provide "Early Access" for the Beta and charge $10, $15 or $20 for said Early Access and then have the community Beta Test your game until official release. IE. Ark: Survival Evolved. After that, you can look at monthly subscription or F2P with veteran bonuses for in-game tokens, etc.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:27 pm

Well here is my humble opinion, not claiming anything to be factual, just an opinion of a fan.

CoT and VO has a poor public image with CoH fans

The successor moniker has a poor standing with comic book themed game fans

CoH actually has a bad stigma attached to it. Any upcoming game which associates themselves with that title or mention it gets throw into the "Successor" pool, which has a bad name.

But that is just my opinion and not factual. I wish them nothing but the best, but advertising or associating yourselves with CoH or the successor theme throws you into the same pool of VO and CoT which most view as a pipe dream that over promises and do not deliver. People are steamed that they supported VO and CoT and have nothing to show for it despite all these dates that were tossed around.

Using the successor name or mentioning CoH you are guilty by association, hence people view them in the same microscope as VO and CoT whom over-promise and do not deliverer.

I would has never dropped the successor moniker, mentioned CoH, made a tribute to them, nor mentioned VO or CoT.

I would have paid homage to a sci-fi mmo or something like that lol

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:40 pm

I'm sure we're all disappointed but it's probably for the best under the circumstances. I think you have a fantastic game in development here so I won't be going anywhere fast, I'm really looking forward to seeing this one go live and you can count on my support when you need it.

As far as the Kickstarter goes, I think those days of building a better mousetrap then waiting for the world to beat a path to your door are long gone. Everything needs to be sold to people these days and that's hard work with everyone and his dog looking for a slice of people's time. At present, the number of potential players showing interest in SoH just isn't high enough to support a kickstarter project with those goals. As Jasix said, exposure on social media is essential and I only heard of SoH a couple of weeks ago in spite of my interest in superhero games.

Maybe if you could make some sort of simple fan kit available, graphics and suchlike that we can use, we can get some blogs and fansites and such things up and running to help keep the game in people's minds and raise awareness (and keep us occupied while we wait patiently!). Scraping bits off this site to use isn't ideal... we don't know what we can use and what we can't, for instance.

Remember folks, the road to success is never a straight line. We've had a setback, now we need to put it behind us and carry on ;)
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

broxen

Postby broxen » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:03 pm

The fact that so many of you have backed us proves to me that this game fills a void in the current MMORPG community. We are going to launch this new city into the galaxy together, and we truly appreciate your support. Stay tuned on our website for further updates, including our next set of development milestones.

We hope to see you in Apotheosis City next year!
So true. There does seem to be a void in the marketplace.

Great idea with the donation page. I'll be chipping in when that goes live.

I'll echo someone else's suggestions here. More social media and interviews with major media would really help moving forward. Biweekly updates with monthly outreach to the media will keep hype strong.

Let us know how we can help!
-Broxen

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:28 pm

Wow, we have a good community here. Thank you all.

This was a tough couple of days for us, but the most important thing we need to decide, and all of you should think about this too, is what would make a great (smaller) version of SoH to launch. We're working up a list right now after several brainstorming sessions.

We always start with our core: great character customization; wide powers selection; teaming; friendly community; and lots of bad guys to fight. Instanced missions, obviously leveling and badges...there is a lot that must be in the game.

But we don't really want to decide -- we want to hear what you guys think. :)

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:35 pm

What I would suggest is what most games have been doing that I have saw as of late. Get your game onto Steam and then provide "Early Access" for the Beta and charge $10, $15 or $20 for said Early Access and then have the community Beta Test your game until official release. IE. Ark: Survival Evolved. After that, you can look at monthly subscription or F2P with veteran bonuses for in-game tokens, etc.
I think this game could be very successful on EA, only one of its' kind in EA.

It was the only one of its' kind in KS, meaning every game of its' kind was only on KS, because every superhero successor is on KS or some sort of donation page. Having a playable version of the game would be a welcome change for the CoH faithful.

I wonder what their next move is

Jasix

Postby Jasix » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:40 pm

Wow, we have a good community here. Thank you all.

This was a tough couple of days for us, but the most important thing we need to decide, and all of you should think about this too, is what would make a great (smaller) version of SoH to launch. We're working up a list right now after several brainstorming sessions.

We always start with our core: great character customization; wide powers selection; teaming; friendly community; and lots of bad guys to fight. Instanced missions, obviously leveling and badges...there is a lot that must be in the game.

But we don't really want to decide -- we want to hear what you guys think. :)
I think the absolute most important thing (for me); especially since the game will now launch with only 20 levels... is a wide variety of powers. You may also want to make sure that these powers are useful so that people don't feel like at even 20 they are still wanna-be super heroes. I used to hate that the really good powers in a lot of builds didn't happen until level 32 in CoH. I don't wanna play a "scrapper" or "Tank" and feel squishy because the better power choices are at level 24, 28, or even further.

Since 20 will be the initial max you also need to think about having some type of lvl 17+ raid that gives people something to do...with a useful reward (An enhancement that levels with you for example; that way when more content is released that special enhancement keeps it's value). I would even say that since 20 may be the limit for awhile..to make sure that there are multiple task forces etc that a level 20 can do.

I would also consider doing something akin to CoH and make sure that flight and other travel powers can be achieved early on and not in the teens.
Original backer #122.

Codex

Postby Codex » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:42 pm

If the game is smaller to start, I would suggest slowing down the leveling to make sure people don't out level the original content too soon. However, try to make sure there are instances available to avoid the grind to get to the next level before new missions become available.

Also, have some "end game" content to carry everyone over until the next release when more levels and content become available. Maybe something like a special Task Force that can be run over and over again to get something that is valuable at a low level but means nothing at higher levels.

I think the character customization should be based more on costume pieces and less on things like facial sizing, eyes, mouth, etc in the beginning. I would rather see those resources be spent on developing instances.
aka Backer 68

Jasix

Postby Jasix » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:43 pm

The key to success in the "successor" world is to be the first game launched that is playable and fun. Even if SoH launches with 20 levels...if it is the first successful successor to launch you will see a large insurgence of CoT and VO fans come play. But if you launch with a bunch of bugs, no content, limited powers etc... that would be fatal to the future of the game; people would simply wait for the next (hopeful) successor.
Original backer #122.

Return to “Announcements”