Vehicles and Civilians

JestersGhost

Vehicles and Civilians

Postby JestersGhost » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:15 pm

https://www.shipofheroes.com/civilians-and-cars/

Man that GIF looks so good :D

It makes an incredible difference to how the city feels, even in the static shots, and seeing the vehicles moving really is just icing.

I think a lot of people that were complaining about how "bad" the graphics were will think it looks much better now just because it feels more real with occupants. Excellent, important stuff :)

Glad you're catching so many bugs in just the prep for the login test too - always a good sign. Ever onward :P
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Capzlock

Re: Vehicles and Civilians

Postby Capzlock » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:23 pm

Wow those graphics upgrades make such a huge difference.

Could a dev chime in on what happened between this update and the last? It's difficult for me to tell what graphical features got implemented, but they look great!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:35 pm

wow! that is awesome. and we have a street name too.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Cheesy

Postby Cheesy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:49 pm

Holding a newspaper? Are you kidding me!

For realism.... just put a mobile phone in front of everyone! :D
Unoriginal since 2005 (coh issue 5)...

Cheesy from Defiant.

Postby Avatar PDM » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:20 am

Holding a newspaper? Are you kidding me!

For realism.... just put a mobile phone in front of everyone! :D
hey retro can be charming too :D
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:42 am

Yes, the retro idea was what I was thinking. But if you prefer, we could have one of the guys sitting on a park bench be absorbed in the examination of a 500-year-old-artifact from old earth, a printed document intended for mass distribution in the days before electronic new distribution. Hmmm, maybe that guy need a bow tie, to indicate that he's an academic...

We've made a bunch of art style improvements but most of what you are seeing in these shots is that we set the time of day to morning or evening, to get a warmer color palette. But don't worry, we actually are getting ready to do some more improvements on the art, to reduce the issue of "plasticy" looking characters and costumes. Our new costume and character art lead has ideas, many ideas in fact.

But this newsletter touches a subject that is important to me personally -- the immersion into the level. For me, having the NPCs and the cars (and soon, the trains) moving around, and maybe some kind of air traffic as well, makes a big difference. One of our devs disagrees -- he likes running through a completely empty city -- but he was voted down. Right now we are planning to create and show a short video of the Arch Park with cars and NPCs, just to illustrate the point. That may take a few more days. So we published the newsletter first, with the gif.

There's a lot of stuff we want to improve. But we are creating a unique game with a futuristic environment plus super-powers and super-heroes. Something truly new, in our view. So we're happy to unveil it, a piece at a time.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:02 am

In looking at the short gif of the npc's talking and the cars passing by ... i just wanted to go there , I tried to turn the screen ... and i wanted to see more ...
To conclude the environment you and the DEV's are creating is so ... I WANT TO GO THERE ...

Special note ... after the first wow of graphics ... well then comes the ... just let me play there ... one forgets the graphics and I want to immerse myself there ...
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

olepi

Postby olepi » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:21 am

In looking at the short gif of the npc's talking and the cars passing by ... i just wanted to go there , I tried to turn the screen ... and i wanted to see more ...
To conclude the environment you and the DEV's are creating is so ... I WANT TO GO THERE ...

Special note ... after the first wow of graphics ... well then comes the ... just let me play there ... one forgets the graphics and I want to immerse myself there ...
My feelings exactly. I'd buy the game and pay a full sub just to be able to walk around there.
2020: 43 years on the Net.

Grazer01

Postby Grazer01 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:48 pm

I may not post much, but I do check this site every day. And that gif..........WOW! Many, many cudos to the whole dev team. My wife and I love how that looks! I know it has been kind of quiet here as of late, but I knew it was because you all were workin hard. I am totally on board with this game.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:17 pm

I would just like to point out that the moving cars in the video are in the middle of a city. they are going much too fast for the zone. Where are the police? as I hero I am appalled at the wanton lawlessness. My first job when I enter the city is to slow down some of those cars. an example must be made. I'll simply pick up a few cars shake out the drivers and throw the cars into the lake. do this a few times and the rest will get the idea not to speed.

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:02 pm

I would just like to point out that the moving cars in the video are in the middle of a city. they are going much too fast for the zone. Where are the police? as I hero I am appalled at the wanton lawlessness. My first job when I enter the city is to slow down some of those cars. an example must be made. I'll simply pick up a few cars shake out the drivers and throw the cars into the lake. do this a few times and the rest will get the idea not to speed.
*writes GA a citation for littering*

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:52 am

Thanks for the links. I read the articles then went on to read the comments. I was very surprised (and happy) that most of the comments were positive. I think people are finally realizing that SoH is real and a force to be reckoned with.

Parkhyeyeon

Postby Parkhyeyeon » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:49 pm

There were some comments on one of them about the number of NPCs visible at once. I would expect to be able to see most NPCs in the Arch Plaza if I’m standing in the middle of it. I do have a high end PC though, so I can understand if you see less on lower graphic settings in game.

Progress looks great though! Would love to jump in and see it first hand!
Join SoH Discord!
Backer #9
CoH mains(Freedom server):
Angel Irene - Energy/devices Blaster
Seraph Irene - Energy/Radiation Corrupter

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:45 am

This is an important point. There are three obvious numbers regarding NPCs in the area of the city around you:

1. How many are in the area around you? Fro example, as Park just noted, how many can you see from a good spot if you spin around.

2. How many can you see if you look in one direction?

3. How many are being rendered (that is, are taking capacity from the rendering engine within the game)?

Number 2 and 3 are not the same. And of course the LOD of the actors being seen or rendered matters too.

On a trial run on Friday, our lead coder recorded a run through the Arch area in which Dr. Strikewell was seeing numbers of NPCs and Heroes that varied from just a handful of each to a quick peak of about 170 NPCs and 130 heroes, without having a collapse of FPS. This kind of thing happens when a character turns around a corner and comes upon a really crowded scene with a lot of viewing distance. So the total was fluctuating between very low, and up to a momentary high of about 300, although just for a moment.

A more normal scene is for a character to seen 20 or 30 out of every hundred or so that might be in the area.

We're going to put out a video that shows a reasonably populated area...we likely won't get more populated that this video scenario, but we will have areas that are less populated. So we can get feedback from the video and see what the community likes.

In the meantime, you might want to go look at old COH videos and refresh your memories on how many NPCs were actually walking or standing in the which areas. It may be fewer than you thought.

Return to “Announcements”