Schedule 3 is Live

Consultant

Schedule 3 is Live

Postby Consultant » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:47 am

I know some have been asking about the development schedule. We waited a little bit to publish the schedule for the first six months. Successfully completing a combat alpha is a big deal, and we wanted to make sure we gave the Alpha our full attention. A few things fell by the way while we were focused there, and the schedule update was one of them.

But now you can see the shape of 2018. We did the combat alpha, and next up is a login test, and then some kind of raid test -- it depends a bit on the outcome of the login test -- then probably another alpha/ beta of the improved character creator, and then on to mission testing and a Beta.

So stay tuned: there is a lot coming up, and you can all get in on the action.

For those trying to remember, the new schedule is posted under the Schedule to Release section, under the Philosophy tab.

lunawisp

Re: Schedule 3 is Live

Postby lunawisp » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:23 am

Thanks for that :)

It's all looking quite exciting from where I'm sitting. Really looking forward to see how things shape up in the next few months.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:29 am

lol saw it last night. :D

Thanks!
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:52 am

great :)
thanks a lot for your effort and keeping us all informed - that motivates greatly :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

twicebitten

Postby twicebitten » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:30 pm

Looking forward to well... pretty much everything :) This may have been covered somewhere else, but I couldn't find anything searching the forums. I am just curious about the details of the advanced login test. Things like 1) What thresholds are being tested and what is hoped to be reached? 2) Is this a test with real people all attempting to login to the SoH servers simultaneously or is this machine stress testing where you force several logins to the server seeing how it responds (like ddosing yourselves). Thanks!

Country Strong

Postby Country Strong » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:28 am

Grats, good to see ya'll are back on schedule.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:38 am

Here's the scoop on the Advanced Login Test. We want to do a raid test in Q3 (hopefully that timeline can be achieved). So of course we've been planning and discussing how to make that happen for a while now. During those discussions, our lead developer observed that we are just assuming that there is no problem in Unreal 4 with logging in 50 or more players at once, into a constrained area of the map. Of course, there should not be a problem; other games designed in the UE 4 engine do this routinely.

But the most we've logged in simultaneously is about 15. So we decided to make sure, and test the login limits of our prototype game. If there is an issue, then we will get the computer logs and address it. If there is no issue, then that is one hurdle cleared on the road to the raid test.

That's our thinking, anyway.

We've already tested simply putting 50 players into the environment in the editor. That's not a problem. And we've tested setting a test environment and logging 50 players in as devs. Again, no problem.

But we are big believers in the idea that we need to set up a "real" situation with a client and server, and test with that arrangement. Things work in the editor that do not work in a real game.

The answer to your question is that we are planning to call for volunteers to join a login test, probably in May, and see if we can round up 20-30 volunteers for what may be one of the most boring tests ever. We'll ask you to login and walk around under the Arch (and not leave the area -- we need to bunch everyone up to get the maximum stress test). But Chat will be working, and we'll also ask you to list your computer's CPU and GPU, so we can get some test results from that in a real world scenario.

I'm told that bigger development teams do these sorts of tests all of the time, but with family and friends so no one can see what happens. Our view is that if something goes wrong on a test like this, we'd be telling the community about it anyway -- so all of you might as well be there. :)

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:52 am

I will be glad to help - I can log in from two computers if needed. There we go, my wife will be in the game, she just does not know it yet!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:58 am

I will be glad to help - I can log in from two computers if needed. There we go, my wife will be in the game!
well not two for me, but I'd also be glad to help out.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:12 am

Thank you both. Should we get a signup sheet going somehow?

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:14 am

You can count me in, of course :) Assuming I don't have those pesky real life issues getting in the way. Won't know for sure till we have a specific date though.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:34 pm

Just in case non-commenting is considered a "no I won't"...yes I will :P
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:15 pm

There is actually a poll question coming up, soon-ish, about which day to the week is the best day for people to volunteer for short Alpha type activities.

Gamegod

Postby Gamegod » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:50 pm

I would be happy to help test
Never say too much; always say enough. :roll:

Blue Yankee

Postby Blue Yankee » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:28 pm

I am here for you if you need someone to help test!

Return to “Announcements”