GDC 2018 -- Ship of Heroes Will be There!

Consultant

Re: GDC 2018 -- Ship of Heroes Will be There!

Postby Consultant » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:57 am

I did not write down the names, but I must have seen at least half a dozen new multiplayer or MMO games talking about having a subscription at GDC. F2P is widely thought to be less sustainable, and more prone to toxicity. And since loot boxes are being eliminated in many games, and may actually be regulated out of existence, dev teams need to find the revenue somewhere.

Really, when we said we were willing to be a smaller game to have positive community, and that we would be charging a subscription, there were people who wrote us off simple because of our economic model. Now battling toxicity in gaming is all the rage. I guess our plan is normal now, although I do not actually hear too much talk from other games about accepting to be a smaller game in order to combat toxicity. Instead I hear a lot of talk about improved algorithms, suppressing bad chat and behavior. I have doubts about the effectiveness of this approach.

But really, positive community, suppressing toxicity, live chat moderation, subscription economic model, design for repeatable content, customization of appearance powers and role, enabling alts, support for teaming, reputation systems,...these things are all mutually reinforcing. It isn't just the subscription issue as a stand-alone. Lots of things go along for the ride. these are all elements of a different gaming culture. And you can see it developing right here on these forums. :)

We have a nice community right now.

Healy

Postby Healy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:22 am

I guess our plan is normal now
stay the course! but make changes along the way that make sense to you, your (or might I go so far as to say "our") devs, and the community.....if we are the new normal, that's good in some respects but the trends may evolve around us and the new normal may shift yet again... having purpose that is relevant to enough of a community to achieve launch, and sustain membership through attractive community, evolving content, and a level of satisfaction that keeps players engaged should be the norm! I know I am not saying anything that is not already in your mind.....this just kind of hit me as I read your last post...

Lead on!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:52 am

Concur

I think we have a great community right now. I hope it stays that way.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Galactus55

Postby Galactus55 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:02 am

Concur

I think we have a great community right now. I hope it stays that way.
Indeed!!!
May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:37 am

thank god Galactus is not the guy who likes to write a lot - just picture texts like mine, or Golden Ace or Super Dogs (sorry couldn´t resist Glad Dog ;) ) with his letter size :D
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Return to “Announcements”