Kickstarter is Coming

JestersGhost

Re: Kickstarter is Coming

Postby JestersGhost » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:53 am

To be honest, I don't think it's fair to diminish or demean the progress made by other CoH Successor projects in comparison to SoH. Let all of the projects, including SoH, stand on their own merits.
Oh, absolutely, I love that CoH has inspired so many people to try and recreate that atmosphere that we all miss so much, and I wish everyone attempting to do so the very best.

My original statement was clearly (I hope) an purely subjective statement about how I felt personally.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:11 pm

To be honest, I don't think it's fair to diminish or demean the progress made by other CoH Successor projects in comparison to SoH. Let all of the projects, including SoH, stand on their own merits.

This isn't, and shouldn't be, a zero sum game (pardon the pun), where only one project deserves your support.

Support all of them, if you want. Conversely, support none of them. Or just a few of them. Or just one.

That being said. . .("Oh, here comes the biased statement!" someone yells from the gallery) :lol: . . .I've carefully researched the origins of SoH and its dev team, even to the extent of looking up PA corporate records to make sure the company's the real deal and not some bogus operation. (Sorry, devs, that's the former private investigator in me.)

Skeptical comments about how SoH suddenly came onto the scene in December 2016 are not true and the incorporation records clearly show they've been working on this for nearly a YEAR before it was publicly revealed. You don't just set up a corporation in early 2016 unless you've already started preliminary work on the project.

So, yes, SoH is definitely the real deal. The background and expertise of the devs, especially that of The Consultant, greatly impressed me. The fact that it's also comprised of talented people who clearly missed CoH as much as I do is another plus.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I've NEVER backed a game in Kickstarter. However, in about, oh, 18 days or so, I will be making my first Kickstarter game contribution.

I just hope certain parts will be available right from the start in the character creator.

*COUGH*angelwings*COUGH*
lets be honest, Valiance Online and H & V do not look to release. That is all I am getting at. I am being honest, that is all. COT and VO make a lot of dates that they have failed to live up too. Ever heard the story of the boy whom cried wolf? I wish them nothing but the best but at this current time I am done with the false bravado. They claim to have all of these features and they claim to be in alpha, but they have no contact with their audience. What do you all know about that game? very little. The only thing we know is the alpha will be soon which they have been saying around this time last year.

IF, VO can deliver on everything they promised, who will touch them? Nobody, nobody in the mmo universe imo.

I never heard of a pet creator. I also never never heard of a character creation system which allows the main character to select from various body types from serpentine, quadrupedal, to your standard bipedal human.

You discussed character parts in your last sentence, VO planned on having a vast array of parts available for....., get this, the pets. Meaning the pets will have a character creation akin to the main hero. If VO does release and delivers on a pet creator and numerous body types, I am rolling with them as my go to superhero title, sorry to say here around these parts.

Pet classes are a reoccurring part of mmo titles. VO is giving great attention to this aspect, so they will have my money. I am not dissing VO, just being honest. I have nothing against any of these products.

Out of the four, SOH has showed the see it to believe people something, so they have my vote and money at this time. VO and COT has shown nothing to indicate they are in alpha, let alone releasing the product.

I just hope SOH has this level of customization planned in the future, COT and VO are looking to bring it in that department, especially VO. Wings you say? COT and VO are planning, COUGH "quadrupedal body types" COUGH

Wing Leader

Postby Wing Leader » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:36 pm

In a way, I was spoiled by CoH. I didn't even know it was in development until it was a shipping product. In fact, I didn't know it existed until I saw a demo of it at ComicCon 2004. And by the time I bought the game and made my first character, Issue 2 was already available for download.

I don't get to enjoy the bliss of ignorance with SoH. I don't get to wake up one morning and suddenly discover that a CoH successor I wasn't aware of was already up and running and on its second update. I have to live through the agony of informed awareness, waiting for it to grow from embryo to adulthood.

One potential pitfall is that by the time it is accepting logins (and not crashing the servers constantly), I may have lost interest. Shocking! I know, but it is possible. I'm old enough (and beyond caring about video games in general) that it could happen. Whereas if SoH was up and running now, it would have a strong chance of hooking me and getting me addicted before ennui had a chance to set in. Here's hoping that indifference doesn't replace enthusiastic anticipation before late 2018...

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:06 pm

One potential pitfall is that by the time it is accepting logins (and not crashing the servers constantly), I may have lost interest. Shocking! I know, but it is possible. I'm old enough (and beyond caring about video games in general) that it could happen. Whereas if SoH was up and running now, it would have a strong chance of hooking me and getting me addicted before ennui had a chance to set in. Here's hoping that indifference doesn't replace enthusiastic anticipation before late 2018...
PSSHT. What are you calling old? My next birthday will be my 60th, and I guarantee I will be playing SOMETHING at the end of 2018.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Taivas

Postby Taivas » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:30 pm

I had a dream last night that the Kickstarter for SoH had released. I guess that shows how much I've been thinking about it. In the dream, I was excitedly reading through the rewards and trying to decide which tier I wanted to pledge to. Some tiers had limited available numbers (50 left of 50 type of deal). I guess my question to the devs would be whether you plan to put those limitations on your reward tiers? I'd like to hope not because in my dream I was rushing to pick a tier before they were all snapped up.

Also, I somehow managed to accidentally donate to the Kickstarter of an entirely different MMO in the dream instead and was sorely disappointed about it, haha.

Penniguin

Postby Penniguin » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:03 am

Lol, I hear ya Taivas. Every time I log into the forums, I think the Kickstart count down clock must be broken. It is just going to slow. Maybe like in dog years, only in reverse? :roll: The current MMORPG I am playing just isn't holding my attention any more. I find myself on youtube looking at old CoX videos, praying that the Kickstarter will give us the character creator to play with and that alpha is not far behind. BTW, shout out to Angelus Animi! His CoH videos are awesome!
I am gonna need to stop for coffee before we head out for the battle. 8-)

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:07 am

We may have one or two limited reward tiers but it will be at the high end, for the well-heeled. I hope we have a few contributors at that level, but we do not expect to run out of rewards.

Except of course we'll have a badge for donating in the first three days, and if you forget (or donate to the wrong MMO) you'll have to wait a few years to be able to buy it in the cash shop.

Taivas

Postby Taivas » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:50 am

We may have one or two limited reward tiers but it will be at the high end, for the well-heeled. I hope we have a few contributors at that level, but we do not expect to run out of rewards.

Except of course we'll have a badge for donating in the first three days, and if you forget (or donate to the wrong MMO) you'll have to wait a few years to be able to buy it in the cash shop.
Alright, that seems completely reasonable. You better believe I'll be one of the first to donate, as I'm sure everyone here on the forum will be. Thanks for the clarification.

twicebitten

Postby twicebitten » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:39 pm

Adding my name to the donation list.

This game is far more promising than CoT as far as a realistic product being released. I wish them the best, but the overall forward motion and progress already made on SoH will have me donating when the kickstarter begins.

Zelman

Postby Zelman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:48 pm

I love You!

Please take my 100$ for kickstarter.
Make this the best , new COH\COV MMO game ever made yet. =)

Flagwaver

Postby Flagwaver » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:38 pm

I'm in. I'll be giving as much as I comfortably can without breaking my family budget.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

A bullet may have a name on it, but 20 pounds of C4 is more of a "to whom it may concern."

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:52 pm

This would just be a cool thing, not absolutely necessary, but the time left to the Kickstarter is less than 137 hours, any chance you could change the ticker to hours/ minutes/ seconds? Or maybe change the countdown ticker to 99 hours + 59 min + 59 sec after 6am Friday?

Dagless

Postby Dagless » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:30 am

I too will be joining those who will be a first time kickstarter backer : )

Props to the devs for coming across in a professional way, I am confident they have the chops to pull this off!

Together we can get this thing moving, looking forward to being part of a great community once again.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:38 am

Less than 100 hours left! 98 and change...

RavenLoon

Postby RavenLoon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:13 pm

I am so excited to start playing a new game. Especially one that's made like one of the one's I miss the most. Can't wait to get into it and explore like my first time on CoH. Thank you to all of you who put in your hard work to make this game! :D

Return to “Announcements”