Kickstarter is Coming

A1fighter

Re: Kickstarter is Coming

Postby A1fighter » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:57 pm

Interested in seeing where this goes.

Especially since this is a complete carbon-copy of City of Heroes lol. Only difference is the map layout I assume :lol:
I have my reservations too. The game came out of nowhere, what gives? city of titan dev says "Late 2017 for Alpha is highly ambitious considering the material shown. Good luck to them" Wait you people are planning a to have material available to play by the end of the year?

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:22 am

SoH is not a carbon copy of CoH. CoH was not perfect, and the SoH team gets to learn from their mistakes. They have introduced gear into the mix, although I think enhancements will be much more important. This may have been done mainly to separate the two games from each other legally, as well as introduce an option for death penalties (you gotta pay more for gear repairs if you die). Also, the setting sets them apart from CoH, and will allow a lot of cool ideas to come to pass!

As far as sysreqs, most games made with UE4 seem to require a good, but not great, computer. A 5-6 year old gaming rig, or a 3 year old system without a dedicated GPU, should be able to handle the game, although max graphics will probably require a much more modern gaming system. But this is just a guess.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Lazarus

Postby Lazarus » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:11 pm

Interested in seeing where this goes.

Especially since this is a complete carbon-copy of City of Heroes lol. Only difference is the map layout I assume :lol:
I have my reservations too. The game came out of nowhere, what gives? city of titan dev says "Late 2017 for Alpha is highly ambitious considering the material shown. Good luck to them" Wait you people are planning a to have material available to play by the end of the year?
Strictly speaking, the site's been up since late November so it's not as if this came out of nowhere. And they did say Alpha late 2017 so I would presume that means playable content. We might not get to play it since it's quite likely that the first Alpha will be limited in size, but there probably will be one since they've been developing pretty steadily so far.

kinglucus

Postby kinglucus » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:34 pm

(using this thread so i dont start a new one) Would it be worth letting us know what the costs/rewards will be for the Kickstarter? we would at least know what we'd be looking to spend before the 4th April

Powerforce

Postby Powerforce » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:01 pm

I second that! It would be nice to have the info when you have it ready. :D

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:21 am

Yep, we're going to announce the Kickstarter rewards shortly. I'd like to speak to a couple of comments in this thread directly.

First, we're not a copy of COH -- that's actually sort of nonsense. We have no connection to the lore, the setting, the calculations of the game mechanics, the old characters....there's nothing that is the same. Except this -- we played and loved COH and we take inspiration from it in designing our new game, with the specific aspiration that if you loved COH, we think you'll love to play SoH. There are other successors promising a return to a 20th century American city with cops and robbers, firemen and arsonists, superheroes and supervillains, newspaper buildings and fireplugs on the corners -- we're not doing that. Our game is truly new and different, but it serves a purpose of giving those of us who want it, a new home.

Playing SoH. So what normally happens is that developers go through a sequence. And when developers build a game, then the build is additive. The pieces stack, one on the next. So in our case you see us reveal the Lore, the Setting and Backstory. Then we revealed the first persistent level, Apotheosis City, which is exactly what we promised in the lore, setting and backstory. Then we added the details about the Justice, which again stacks the the previous parts revealed. Then we showed the character creator, and guess what, it all stacks again so you see our signature hero (looks just like the 2D concept art) and an actual NPC civilian standing in Apotheosis City.

Again, it all stacks. The pieces fit together. We don't show a levl in one video and a CCT in another, and lore in a third. It all fits together.

Then we showed a taste of combat and you see a signature hero (made in our CCT) fighting a signature enemy in the persistent level with the powers and FX we promised, exactly according to the lore and the setting and the backstory. It all fits. The civilian NPCs are there too, in the same persistent level.

Since it is an MMO, we then showed a network test which tells you we are aware of networking and server/ client issues and so far we don't have a problem there.

We're going to show some more new stuff in the KS video.

We can do this because everything we've built works together to build a game. We don't show you disconnected pieces. We show you how we're building an integrated game.

Will we get to a playable Alpha with groups coming in to Apotheosis City to street sweep or run a couple of missions with the devs on the team? Sure we will. Will it be late 2017 or at worst early 2018? We think so. How soon after that can we begin a Beta? Given that these terms are kind of loosely defined, we are not too worried about late 2018 as we said.

But whatever happens, we'll be upfront about it.

kinglucus

Postby kinglucus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:20 am

The problem I have is that I'm so damn impatient! I would love to see a new video a week or new pictures to drool over, but the time spent giving us those would be better spent getting the core game together. It does make sense to make sure every small detail is tested so that nothing small becomes "game breaking" in the long run. It definitely helps to get info from the Devs and yourself on this forum regularly as it helps hype up the passion that everyone has to see this game succeed.

Pyrion

Postby Pyrion » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:49 am

So far i have a good feeling about your game. You do good communication with your community and you seem to be very enthusiastic about your vision while at the same time listening to us. I hope you can keep that level of connectednes. You may be aware of valiance online, another CoH successor. They look to be pretty far already. Before March 2016 they had a public pre alpha where you could already do some very basic stuff in game. Then they stopped the pre alpha public access, promising alpha coming "soon". Every now and then they published some promising videos, but they didn't show much fan interaction, just some very basic answers that were mostly pretty vague.

Now it's more than one year after they promised alpha "soon" and more than 3 weeks since they last posted ANYTHING (not answering questions as well), so it looks like they somehow disappeared. I really hope that you will be different :).

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:17 pm

I think VO hit a snag and cannot complete the game tbh. You alluded to it, the playable alpha "soon," now, nearly a year later, we see nothing. They screwed up, as simple as that. They are vague because they dont know, they dont know if they can even complete the game. Someone brought this to my attention on their site forums, but do you know what is intriguing? Every COH successor has a date estimated except them.

I believe in SOH more than VO. I don't think we should apply VO failures to SOH, allow them to prove us wrong before we jump on them. Based on what i have seen this game is far more promising than VO. Around 5 years since they went public and that was the best video VO had to show for their work?

I will donate here not to VO, and I am glad I did not. That product is pure hype and no bite.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:17 pm

There is something indefinably more tangible about SoH, despite it's relative newness among successors to CoH that was immediately apparent. I haven't been drawn to any of the other games the way I was immediately hooked by this one. There's something professional about this production that has been lacking in the other offerings, somehow.

It's annoyingly vague, and I couldn't point to anything really to say why, but it's there I reckon a lot of others are feeling it too.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:15 pm

There is something indefinably more tangible about SoH, despite it's relative newness among successors to CoH that was immediately apparent. I haven't been drawn to any of the other games the way I was immediately hooked by this one. There's something professional about this production that has been lacking in the other offerings, somehow.

It's annoyingly vague, and I couldn't point to anything really to say why, but it's there I reckon a lot of others are feeling it too.
They do appear to be A1 with their production. First impressions are the most lasting impressions and SOH made a great lasting impression with their videos.

Parkhyeyeon

Postby Parkhyeyeon » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:15 am

The others didn't draw me in either. The videos of Apotheosys City already look very polished and ready to populate with NPCs, whereas the others didnt. Probably the one thing that drew me here and hyped to see where this goes.

Not to mention being in space where you can expand the game indefinitely with new planets, new alien life forms, etc.
Join SoH Discord!
Backer #9
CoH mains(Freedom server):
Angel Irene - Energy/devices Blaster
Seraph Irene - Energy/Radiation Corrupter

Banished Archangel

Postby Banished Archangel » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:03 am

To be honest, I don't think it's fair to diminish or demean the progress made by other CoH Successor projects in comparison to SoH. Let all of the projects, including SoH, stand on their own merits.

This isn't, and shouldn't be, a zero sum game (pardon the pun), where only one project deserves your support.

Support all of them, if you want. Conversely, support none of them. Or just a few of them. Or just one.

That being said. . .("Oh, here comes the biased statement!" someone yells from the gallery) :lol: . . .I've carefully researched the origins of SoH and its dev team, even to the extent of looking up PA corporate records to make sure the company's the real deal and not some bogus operation. (Sorry, devs, that's the former private investigator in me.)

Skeptical comments about how SoH suddenly came onto the scene in December 2016 are not true and the incorporation records clearly show they've been working on this for nearly a YEAR before it was publicly revealed. You don't just set up a corporation in early 2016 unless you've already started preliminary work on the project.

So, yes, SoH is definitely the real deal. The background and expertise of the devs, especially that of The Consultant, greatly impressed me. The fact that it's also comprised of talented people who clearly missed CoH as much as I do is another plus.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I've NEVER backed a game in Kickstarter. However, in about, oh, 18 days or so, I will be making my first Kickstarter game contribution.

I just hope certain parts will be available right from the start in the character creator.

*COUGH*angelwings*COUGH*

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:02 am

Re: Banished Angel's comments

When I first heard of SoH, I was very, very excited. Then the realist in me woke up and I became a little skeptical. But I've learned over the years to ignore these emotions and I did the same thing as you, although not as extensively. After doing a little research on the corporation, I checked on the backgrounds of the listed people, and just like you, I was impressed.

It wasn't until HGC started releasing videos though, that I started to really change my mind. Once I saw all of the progress made I went from skeptical to interested, to mightily impressed. And just like you, Ship of Heroes will be the first game ever that I help kickstart.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

kinglucus

Postby kinglucus » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:09 am

To be brutally honest, i was very sceptical after seeing the logo for SoH (i like the arch but not the font & colour) however the videos spoke for themselves and any doubt soon went away to how professional this game & team is. Im the same in that ive never paid a kickstarter but i would happily help SoH!

Return to “Announcements”