SoH Combat Alpha

Consultant

Re: SoH Combat Alpha

Postby Consultant » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:11 am

I do all of the Alpha runs I participate in on an older ASUS laptop with a 970GTX graphics card. I do this because the laptop is kind of gimped, so it has problems running some games. But it works fine on the SoH Alpha. :)

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:45 am

I know it's probably not a great idea to compare SoH with CoH because we're not building CoH here but one thing that I noticed in the alpha runs was that the CoH animations were faster than SoH and the decay of effects was slower. Fast animations felt more engaging to me and seeing those effects lasting longer is quite satisfying :)
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:33 am

These are all good comments. We are doing Alpha runs so that we can get quality feedback like this. Thank you all.

Turtlesandwich

Postby Turtlesandwich » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:15 pm

I do all of the Alpha runs I participate in on an older ASUS laptop with a 970GTX graphics card. I do this because the laptop is kind of gimped, so it has problems running some games. But it works fine on the SoH Alpha. :)
That's good to know as i am running a 970GTX. I do think the 970 is still a very capable card.

Pyrion

Postby Pyrion » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:37 am

Most modern normal notebooks and normal PCs have far less video power than the GTX970 provided. You should really check if you can play SoH on an Intel integrated video card with low settings. That would be the ultimate test. My wife has such a PC, i could test on it. It's modern, but without a dedicated video card. You would be surprised how many games can run decently on such a system.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:28 am

Remember, when I am testing with my laptop, it has the highest graphical settings turned on. So for a less powerful computer, one can always dial down the settings a bit and make it work.

The 970 is roughly in the mid-range of what we think players will use. We also test with an 850 GTX on occasion -- which performs almost identically to the 970. But there is a huge jump in performance from going to the 1050 and above.

All of the 20 videos we've shown were recorded with another 970, in a desktop.

But it is true that the Unreal engine can actually take advantage of increased graphical power -- it performs better if the player has more.

Finally, computers age. We're not launching today, and by the time we get out of Beta next year, the standards for computers will have drifted even higher.

Blue Yankee

Postby Blue Yankee » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:24 pm

I plan to play a brawler/scrapper. Will I be able to turn down graphics of powers? Melee usually not visually interesting and I want to make sure I can see what is going on around my character.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:44 am

I plan to play a brawler/scrapper. Will I be able to turn down graphics of powers? Melee usually not visually interesting and I want to make sure I can see what is going on around my character.
In the video interview with Neith, very last item on the index here,
http://www.heroesin.space/2018/01/villi ... -with.html, Consultant confirmed there will be an option to turn off other players effects. I don't yet know if we'll actually be able to dial them down by a specified amount. That sounds like a good idea though, you'd still be able to see what was going on without being overwhelmed.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:17 am

We're not 100% committed to the option to be able to turn off viewing of the other players FX, but that solution is being done in other games. We're looking at it, as a potential factor for maximizing the number of players in large fights, world-bosses and the like.

Now that I think about it, that could be a good poll question.

Blue Yankee

Postby Blue Yankee » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:02 pm

Thank you! and thank you for linking me to the website!
In the video interview with Neith, very last item on the index here,
http://www.heroesin.space/2018/01/villi ... -with.html, Consultant confirmed there will be an option to turn off other players effects. I don't yet know if we'll actually be able to dial them down by a specified amount. That sounds like a good idea though, you'd still be able to see what was going on without being overwhelmed.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:29 am

We have a few other comments about using the lower power computers. First, we will likely give an option to turn shadows off. This actually doubles (or more) FPS without doing much damage to the player experience at all. Also, simply choosing 1280x720 (which a lot of games are built for) also doubles (or more) FPS on my laptop. Also it is important to realize that we see much higher levels of performance from desktop 970GTX than from the laptop versions, except in some circumstances. So the other elements of the hardware (like the CPU) do matter, as does your connection speed.

And we will have pull-down menus for helping with lower power computers, which UE4 enables now. And we are looking at the option of turning off the FX from other players (whether your computer is robust or not -- it seems some people like this option because they have used it in other games, so it has become a matter of personal play-style, and we are about enabling personal play-styles).

But finally, we also need to remember that we are putting a lot of effort into optimization, and we are not done yet. All of the pieces are not in place at this time. Just since we made the Night of the Clones video we've implemented a bunch of additional changes to enable higher speeds, and more importantly, more players in the game simultaneously.

Most dev teams really spend the last few months trying to optimize in a sudden rush before launch. We're working on these issues throughout development. This extra work kind of annoys our coders and artists, to be honest, but we think it is important to plan and implement our plan as we go, and not to rely on fixing under-performing systems and processes at the last minute. We will likely end up fixing things at the last minute anyway, but the year+ that we've been focused on optimization already gives us a better starting point than many MMOs.

If we were making a single player game, or accepting that only 20-25 players could be in a city zone at once, we would not need to do all of things we're doing. But that is not our aspiration.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:51 am

I know I said it before but I'm going to say it again. You guys are awesome.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

brawlizard

Postby brawlizard » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:14 pm

completely agree, Ace.

Consultant, thank you for the continued consideration of your players. This has been an interesting journey. I'm very excited

Blue Yankee

Postby Blue Yankee » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:50 pm

I agree with you.

Consultant and the entire SOH team is awesome! Consultant has his eye on the ball, and is guiding the project in a great direction.
When I watch interviews of other superhero games in development, they never say no to wish list items. Consultant is clear that the fundamentals are the priority.
completely agree, Ace.

Consultant, thank you for the continued consideration of your players. This has been an interesting journey. I'm very excited

DztBlk

Postby DztBlk » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:58 am

I have been watching...a little bit from a distance. I have to say the alpha video shows me that you guys are really making some awesome progress. The game looks enjoyable to a degree at the alpha stage. I will buy and subscribe when ready. Nice job!

Return to “Announcements”