SoH Combat Alpha

Dying Breath

Re: SoH Combat Alpha

Postby Dying Breath » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:20 am

Come to think of it, tab targeting was something I did try out there and it didn't work. That's something that I think should be an option, especially since some of the fights in the live game are going to be inside buildings where sight is likely to be even more limited.
So it wasn't just my imagination in the last video? Tab targets the enemy closest to the middle of your point of view, but does not cycle through enemies? I imagine that we'll be able to do that, even if it means creating a custom bind/macro for it. Right, Dirtsleeper?

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:11 am

Controller guy here, without cycling, I will be lost, lol. Playing without a joy-pad is already annoying. Some of us grew up on NES, not Quake. Most ppl say DCUO is an action mmo, imo, the controllers make it seem that way.

I may be the worst mouse player ever, needz that cycling :D

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:34 am

It looks like the Alpha video is on its way to being the most popular video we've made, in terms of first-day views. Comments have been really very positive.

We're going to another run, this time with Neith as a livestream, today at 1:30 Eastern time. We're going to have four devs on today since Neith likes to ask questions. I believe eveyone is welcome, to dial into her Patreon and watch, and (as I understand it) ask questions as we proceed.

I want to say "thank you" to everyone who has participated in a run so far, and the same to everyone that is going to participate in the future. We love getting the feedback, and that includes feedback on what we need to improve. Also, we've found that some things that work perfectly for our dev team members don't work exactly the same for every participant. So we look at the logs from the runs -- it's quite helpful.

We'll likely be starting to make runs this week, during the afternoons (US Eastern time) around 2:00. We'll be looking for a few volunteers who want to give it a whirl on a weekday, so if you are really enthused, send me a PM.

I hope that doen't break the website...or my account. :)

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:34 am

Come to think of it, tab targeting was something I did try out there and it didn't work. That's something that I think should be an option, especially since some of the fights in the live game are going to be inside buildings where sight is likely to be even more limited.
So it wasn't just my imagination in the last video? Tab targets the enemy closest to the middle of your point of view, but does not cycle through enemies? I imagine that we'll be able to do that, even if it means creating a custom bind/macro for it. Right, Dirtsleeper?
Actually it does cycle through, but it didn't seem very responsive and it's hard to tell because the visuals on selection get drowned out by the power effects. Most of the issues I had actually were visual - organisation and clarity of visual elements, etc. The core gameplay is really solid and felt great.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Solari

Postby Solari » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:45 am

Wow this is looking amazing! :D That looked like awesome fun and now I'm jealous! It really has a CoH feel to it.

I know this has to be in the pipeline, but the only thing that still strikes me is that there needs to be an "aggressive" stance while in combat because the standing still between moves is a bit jarring.

Also, if players are very close to an enemy with a gun, I'd again suggest the enemies occasionally use the gun as a melée weapon - it'd add a lot more depth IMO. :)

Amazing work, devs - time to get more of the big ticket game reviewers on board for max publicity! :D

Maybe it's just playing my main for all that time and picking up his characteristics but I definitely was a lot more fidgety in CoH than you lot were in battle. :lol:
Last edited by Solari on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:46 am

Hmm, maybe it just doesn't pick up new targets then. When my target died, I hit tab a few times to select a new one and I'm pretty sure it did nothing.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Solari

Postby Solari » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:45 am

Was I the only one watching the video fullscreen and suddenly finding myself trying to look around with the mouse? :lol:

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:58 am

Was I the only one watching the video fullscreen and suddenly finding myself trying to look around with the mouse? :lol:
no... :oops:
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:24 am

not even close to the only one!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

brawlizard

Postby brawlizard » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:31 pm

I kept trying to mouse over the powers to read them

Wolfshadw

Postby Wolfshadw » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:08 pm

Watching the first walk-through (missed today's live stream), I kept trying to scroll in closer!

-Wolf sends

sensible

Postby sensible » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:39 pm

my wife's fav gaming blogger, @positivegamer giving us his impressions of the Alpha Combat Run.

Ship of Heroes Alpha - My Thoughts and Impressions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg9HlqZgq28&t=9s

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:53 am

AAAAH MAN missed the live streaming ... please give a little more notice and ill be there !!!

Setting that aside WOW was that not grate what both "Neith" and "Positive gamer" produced ... It felt like the old style play and teaming and it's still in the alpha ... TY SOH

The DEV's have a long way to get to the open map play with many toon running around ... but i have confidence from what i have seen that a lot of the hard work in the game play is accomplished ... now you the DEV's got my confidence that you will accomplish what we all desire...

A playable game!!!
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:33 am

Yes, we're excited too. :)

In some ways, we are on the edge of our seats. We are working on solving some problems and getting some more cool stuff to show, and we are also working our way through a lot of new material. In fact, I should say that we are working on four general areas:

1. Tracking and planning for improvements based on the combat Alpha feedback. We have a growing list.
2. We're working on some bigger things in the game, like getting the map of Apotheosis City closer to final state, and on optimization issues, which never really end. But it is stuff that makes the game fun for a lot of players at the same time. this also includes infrastructure code issues that only have to be created once (as long as they work as desired).
3. We're working on "more." More costumes, more powersets, more enemies, etc.
4. We're working on adding and expanding the elements that we think will make SoH fun to play. Some of those ideas come right of these forums.

We're having fun too, just like all of you. :)

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:40 am

We're having fun too, just like all of you. :)
That in itself means you are going to make an awesome game

GA
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Return to “Announcements”