October Outlook

NightWolf

Re: October Outlook

Postby NightWolf » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:20 am

We'll be publishing the lightning blast powerset video later this morning. Stay tuned. :)
awesome!

NightWolf

Postby NightWolf » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:07 am

We'll be publishing the lightning blast powerset video later this morning. Stay tuned. :)
And here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK7B5t_nztc

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:36 am

I like the look of that ball lightning! I can see a change of direction for my defender... :shock:
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
Super Heroes in Space, a blog about heroes, space and huge ships!

Galactus55

Postby Galactus55 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:40 pm

I was dialed in and watched the video. Very impressive!!! The capacitor power is very intriguing to be able to replenish your endurance is awesome. I know for the Devs this needs time to build and you all are working hard on this. Thanks for doing this.
As users we are dyeing to play but we will wait
May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

Warhead

Postby Warhead » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:44 pm

Never got too into the lightning powerset in CoH but this one looked like a lot of fun. Looks great too.

RoryLukus

Postby RoryLukus » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:27 pm

I watched the video look great!!
This is not a judgment just an observation and I know it's pre-Alpha.
The ball lighting sound is ok.
The sound effects could have bigger louder cracks & booms when using the lightings.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:33 pm

RoryLukus, there's no problem with your comment. Thanks for joining the discussion.

We are still looking for the right SFX guy to add to the team, and it's kind of hard to set the volume of sound effects in isolation. When there are ten heroes, or 40 heroes pounding on an enemy, the combination of effects needs to make sense for the game, and we cannot test that yet.

So stay tuned, we will be making improvements.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:59 pm

Yep watched the Vid. and well yes VERY impressed with the lighting . I can plainly see the... power targeting in the cone / single / or AOE effects ... really well done , and that is really exciting I definitely will be making a devastator. I'll think and put grate thought into the support toon i'll make...
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Parkhyeyeon

Postby Parkhyeyeon » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:15 am

Gonna be a tough choice for powerset. Have to wait and see til closer to beta to decide, and hopefully get a chance to play around with each powerset before then.

Nice to see the first wave of CCT alpha characters there cheering. :)
Join SoH Discord!
Backer #9
CoH mains(Freedom server):
Angel Irene - Energy/devices Blaster
Seraph Irene - Energy/Radiation Corrupter

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:50 pm

Nice to see a good self-buff power in capacitor - makes sense thematically for the set.

However, and I know I sound like a broken record here, I'd still love to see a bit more imagination in the powers themselves. I really hoped ball lightning might stick around a bit more, so it could be used as an area denial tool, but no, just another AoE damage power. I'm guessing there are secondary debuffs happening that aren't mentioned with these powers - I'd hope nerve damage is a hold/stun, or at least a significant accuracy debuff or something. It would be nice to know about these additional effects too, as currently every powerset has had some really nice power f/x attached frankly interchangable results.

And yes, I know these are the first pass, but still...the first pass should be at least in ball-park of what you're going for. And if this is what you're going for in the attack powers I'm actually little worried.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:23 am

Sounds like things are going well.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:38 am

Most of the lightning powers deliver defense debuff as a secondary effect. Two of them deliver resistance debuff, and one delivers regen debuff.

JestersGhost, there are a couple of reasons why you don't see anything truly unusual like a 20-second stationary power like ball lightning. First, we're not launching with pets, and secondly we're explicitly waiting to get combat feedback in December and during 2018 to "shake things up" with the powers and add unusual elements.

We believe that play-testing the powers with real people is going to tell us a lot, and generate a lot of ideas. We do not think we have some sort of monopoly on good ideas -- we get them from our forums all of the time, actually.

So if ball lightning (for example) were going to be deployable for 20 seconds into a spot, making that spot effectively untraversable (as could be done with a singularity in the gravity set in COH), we would not show that off now, we would develop that idea in combat testing with testers and then add it at the end, just before launch as part of a package of surprises to get the launch momentum going.

You know that if we showed that off now, and then had to remove it because it was OP later, there would be howls of protest.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:36 am

Okay, that's cool. I can see that. Hope you took my comments in the spirit they were intended :D
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:23 am

You know that if we showed that off now, and then had to remove it because it was OP later, there would be howls of protest.
Hell hath no fury like a gamer with a nerfed power.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
Super Heroes in Space, a blog about heroes, space and huge ships!

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:04 am

Most of the lightning powers deliver defense debuff as a secondary effect. Two of them deliver resistance debuff, and one delivers regen debuff.
We believe that play-testing the powers with real people is going to tell us a lot, and generate a lot of ideas. We do not think we have some sort of monopoly on good ideas -- we get them from our forums all of the time, actually.
Hell hath no fury like a gamer with a nerfed power.
Both quotes make me feel that I'am a value part of the team Thank You DEV's and Forum-ers ...
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Return to “What's Cooking”