Your Favorite Mission(s)

Consultant

Your Favorite Mission(s)

Postby Consultant » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:08 am

Please tell us a mission, or mission arc, or task force you would like to see in Ship of Heroes. We are listening.

What makes it great?

What happens? Who are the opponents?

What dialog occurs?

What badge(s) do you get?

How does it fit into the SoH universe and story?

twicebitten

Re: Your Favorite Mission(s)

Postby twicebitten » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:31 pm

i think being in space lends to a massive end of content potential. some of this is more abstract than the specifics of your questions but in general i'd like to see something like:

a) community events: we're passing through the X system and some massive alien/unknown species spawn every hour somewhere different in the city attacking it and bringing its minions. (paladin/lusca eque etc for monster badges, much like the invasion event we already had)

b) the ship is exploring the Y corridor in the Z system and now you can beam to some planets surface and theres story arc(s) in a jungle planet to retrieve a lost artifact, or a .... god forsaken cave system to help a struggling underground civilization etc (mission achievement badges)

c) the ship went through an asteroid field a/o an attack and its up to everyone to band together to fix it, there are several buildings in the city burning down or there is wall damage (something like the building fires in steel canyon)

just some broad ideas for mission arcs/badges in the soh universe

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:13 am

Nice!

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:28 am

I'd like to see some missions where members of the Red Sigil break cover and team up with heroes to deal with some invaders in dangerous/key areas or even occasionally fight against the heroes. There's a common enemy and the heroes presumably need help sometimes. Even if it's just information gathering and handing out of missions. Have some contacts around the place who are known to be Red Sigil but left alone by the 'authorities' because they're useful (!)

Here's a vague outline of a mission I thought of. Need to flesh it out a bit, might actually include it in my characters back story whenever I get around to writing it :roll:

Things could go wrong during an invasion and some civilians get hurt. The Red Sigil get blamed and end up fighting against the heroes when the aliens are ejected. Some new upstart in the hero corps gets the idea of wiping out the Red Sigil little suspecting that its members are all around him hiding in plain sight and even include some of the heroes. Things don't go well for our intrepid hero. Turns out he's the son of a council member (do we have such a thing?) and can't be thrown to the wolves so the hero corps have to make peace with the Red Sigil in order to elicit their help and rescue him from where he was looking for what he erronously imagined was the Red Sigil hideout in the depths of the ship. A place few dare venture, except the Red Sigil and a few of the hardiest heroes.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:36 pm

In CoH, I loved Frostfire for the slippy slide. In Star Trek Online and DDO, I love that there are some missions that are dialog/wits based instead of hack and slash. (ie puzzles and diplomacy) I keep having a day dream of a type of mission SoH could have, but if I share it here, anyone who read it would know the possible twists :P basically it's one where you could end up killing a, killing b, or killing both- the decision you make determine the loot available. (If you loot item x (the quest goal) upon arrival, mob group a attacks you no matter what because they are protective of that item. You can choose to fight back or flee. if you kill mob group a, b aggros on you because they were the protectors/shepherd of mob group a. If you attack group b, it will not trigger agro from a, because they are more "beast of burden" type beings for group b. If you do NOT loot item x, there is another option for a similar loot to fulfill quest requirement. In the meantime, mob group C attacks group B, and you can choose to help either side or none, or kill both; again your choices affect the outcome of the mission, possibly in the form of badges) It would be cool if this was located on an asteroid or something, inhabited by the 3 groups, and your choices are remembered when you exit the mission. You can ally with b or c, kill them all, or try to broker peace. Leaving the asteroid and returning gives you a pop up option to continue the storyline, or reset, which would allow you to start completely over with different choices. If you make enemies of any group, they will attack on sight when you leave the mission. Otherwise, they are neutral/ally depending on your actions.
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:27 pm

This is so hard because I have ideas and ideas, but I don't want to post them here. If a story has a surprise twist, it would be spoiler to put that here :) I did send a PM for 1 idea. I forgot to add; reward for that idea is to unlock a *color* that character can use on their costumes, a pearly shimmering color as described in the PM. But, they have to take the correct path to unlock it. The other paths just give a badge, or nothing but standard mission rewards. I think you know what to name the color!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:34 am

Wow, we are getting some great ideas here. Thanks to all who have posted.

Now here's a twist: what if your new mission could not have a new setting (Apotheosis City, please, although above or below ground...we have a considerable map below ground, and inside building too). and what if it used the enemies we have already shown, and kept to the current time and plot? What do you want to see then?

We've already worked out about 60 missions in our heads (and on paper for most) and we want to see how our ideas align with the community's.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:00 pm

I always thought we need catacombs below the city. there is enough space for at least 5 levels of catacombs (progressive difficulty). The city inhabitants use the space to store old furniture, appliances, junk, think storage wars on steroids. city has been around for centuries. enough time for things to fill up and be forgotten. and be taken over by well you name it, alien rats, robots, signature villain groups, etc...
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:28 pm

I'm sure it's probably already in the works, but we need a "teach the newbies how to play" mission. Teaches them how to target, use their powers, target through someone, heal/buff someone (get a single mission buff and attack temp for training purposes, a single shot hold power, plus an NPC ally to practice on), how to watch out for environmental hazards, even some communications like how to send a tell. This little arc is SOLO only.

Mission starts with being sent into instance that looks like a pantry or very basic room; you are supposed to pick up some spices for the cook or something equally mundane. While you are there, you overhear 2 thugs discussing some evil plan. At this point, you must /t the NPC (so IC you are whispering or otherwise covertly communicating) and they will /t you back with instructions. In this case, it's listen and gather information, once the thugs leave, you still grab the silly mundane glowy you originally came for. exit

Mission 2, you and the NPC ally decide to follow the information you overheard (kidnapping of some city officials kid, they plan to ransom- plus a weapons deal or something, that leads to needing to destroy something later), leading you to the bad guys lair. The ally NPC explains how to target through them and how to buff them; this buff lasts 90 seconds and makes them very resistant to damage, but when it wears off the ally gets hurt a lot, teaching players how to watch for buffs that are fading. The thugs are not interested in fighting the player much, they mostly just taunt player and fight ally. If ally falls, player can rez them and continue, with little risk of player falling as well. On the way in, one of the thugs dumps a barrel of some sort of accelerant and ignites it, NPC ally explains to player to avoid the area, teaching about environmental hazards.

A couple fights from the end, there is a healer, and NPC ally explains about selective targeting and why you might want to take out the healer first (healer is boosted so you really can't kill anyone until you take him out, for training purposes-don't give him any self heal options). Ally does not attack healer, instead he tanks the other mobs, leaving healer to player.

At the end fight, you get to use the uber hold temp on the final boss of the missions. When it is over, you must rescue the hostage and lead her to an exit.. which is NOT back at the start, it's 1 room away. Before you go, you plant an explosive device on the bad guys.. something... something that you can't carry away but is dangerous and needs to be destroyed. Maybe a large weapon attached to the top of a vehicle. Your set bomb has a timer on it, and you need to get to the exit before it blows. The timer is long enough it should not be difficult.

This little arc would come with a tutorial completion badge.

ZiaFyre

Postby ZiaFyre » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:35 pm

Lore

The mission should fit into some kind of lore. So the basic lore is that this is a ship that preserves a city of heroes. There are few crimes, but the alien Nagdellians are trying to take over the ship for their own purposes. Some Nagdellian invasions have already been repelled, but they have gained intelligence about the ship and its heroes.

The ship has different sections, like Science, Engineering, etc. Each section has its own sets of missions, its own badges. Players who gain a certain number of badges from a section are buffed by something from that section.

Protect Science Park

This mission involves Science Park. The Nagdellians have figured out that damaging our Science resources will hinder our defense against them. They have already discovered a way to insert themselves into the ship, past all the ship defenses and shields. We have been able to defeat their invasions, so far.

The Nagdellians have inserted themselves again, but this time to plant bombs around Science Park to try to destroy it. The bombs are large blinkies scattered around Science Park; each one has to be found and defused. These bomb blinkies spawn groups of Nagdellians like a mini-invasion.

Find the bomb-blinkies and defuse them, and kill all the Nagdellians they spawn. There are 5 blinkies to find, placed randomly into 10 potential locations around Science Park.

Results

Get the Science Protector badge, and a +2% buff to effectiveness. The mission is repeatable, the badge and buff is only one time. Multiple Science badges can lead to a set and a promotion.

Other players can see the blinkie, but cannot click it. They will be directed to the mission giver.

Once the blinkie is activated, other players can fight the Nagellians, but they do not get the badge unless they are in the mission team.

olepi

Postby olepi » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:57 pm

I reset my password, so will post as olepi instead of ZiaFyre.

Defend the Scientific Equipment

The Nagdellians are trying to steal a shipment of Scientific Equipment from the warehouses. This equipment is going to be used to enhance the defenses against the Nagdellians

The quest giver is in Science Park:

"We have an urgent task, can you help? We just received a shipment of scientific equipment but it is under attack at the warehouse. Go there right away and defend the equipment, prevent the Nagdellians from stealing or destroying it."

Go to the warehouse district, and find the shipment (a blinkie). Clicking on the blinkie starts several waves of invading Nagdellians who are trying to destroy or steal the shipment. Kill all the Nagdellians before they can destroy the shipment. Don't allow them to destroy the shipment, they will attack it the same as they will attack the team defending it.

Results

If the mission succeeds, the team members get the badge Defender of Science Park and a +2% buff to defense. As usual, other players cannot click the blinkie and activate it; although they can help defeat the invasion, they won't get credit for the badge or buff unless they are in the team.

The mission is repeatable, but the badge and buff can only be gotten once.
2020: 43 years on the Net.

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:27 pm

Engine Trouble
Part one: sensors indicate an issue in engine room Delta-4. A maintenance team was dispatched to check it out and has not returned. You are tasked to find them and bring them home safely.
Enter mission: A strange orange haze is in the air, and an acrid taste hits your tongue. You can hear cries for help in the distance.
You walk through the orange air to the cries, finding the team pinned behind a fallen support beam and debris. As you get close, they cry out to be careful, it's a trap! On queue, ambushers appear (pick an enemy group, any fit lol). You must fight off the ambush, and then click glowies to remove the pile of debris in the correct order so as not to collapse the whole thing on the maintenance team. As you free them, a radio on one of the fallen enemy starts chirping, asking for a status update. 2 more ambushes come as you defend the team. An energy battery has exploded, causing a corrosive cloud, and they must repair it immediately. (clearly exploded manually as part of the trap)

Part two: report back what happened, and be given the radio you took and instructions to infiltrate the enemy lair. No matter what, the party can make it past 2 mobs maximum before a codeword prompt fails and they are attacked. Fight your way to the office at the end, where you dig through desks and file cabinets looking for clues and plans.

Part three: take the information you found back to your contact, and be sent to stop the enemies next plan; poisoning a food destined for ship delegates meeting. Fight your way through, basic hack and slash, tough guy at the end is leader of the evil party on that mission. Take the poison (souvenir)

Part four: you got someone to talk on the last mission, and now you know where this enemy cell HQ is. Raid it and take out the cell boss (av)

This mission doesn't have any special rewards other than the souvenir poison, which can be added to a collection of souvenirs from several missions (5-10) to unlock a badge!

Return to “What's Cooking”