The Next Event

Consultant

The Next Event

Postby Consultant » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:18 am

As everyone knows, the next event is a bigger invasion event than we have done in the past.

This brings up some questions. Obviously we cannot just throw the server open for invasion events -- we want to test things, see how they work, and also know in advance that we will get at least 30 people to participate. So we need to schedule the events.

One thing you can do is to post here, in this thread, if you want to participate. It wiull probably be in early June.

Another thing is this: we'd like to do the invasions with teams. We think everyone approves of this idea, and teaming is now working in SoH.

But do we need side-kicking and mentoring? Especially side-kicking. We think that we do, since that will allow you to bring that level 5 character you created to the invasion, even if the enemies are level 20. We're actually testing side-kicking right now on the dev server.

What else do people want for the invasion event?

olepi

Re: The Next Event

Postby olepi » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:14 pm

I would like to participate, but probably won't be able to if we have to download the whole game every day. My internet is very slow, especially now, and since I work from home, I can't devote the entire day to downloading. In the last event, it took me over 8 hours to download the game, and I could only do that for a day or two. So I missed almost the whole thing.
2020: 43 years on the Net.

Voidblazer

Postby Voidblazer » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:59 pm

Count me in, absolutely, 100%! Side-kicking should definitely be included. During the riots, I felt like a pea-shooter when we needed a cannon. (But my fire powers looked really good!)

I'd like to see multiple enemy factions as well. Maybe the Nagdellians are in cahoots with the Prometheans to acquire some super-rare technology or something. Don't get me wrong...I enjoy defeating Nagdellians almost as much as they like killing me (apparently...I died so many times to Nags!), but mix it up a bit.

If I could use my space/time bending powers to make the invasion test happen sooner, I would! :lol:
Life is like an anole. Sometimes it's green, and sometimes it's brown, but it's always a small Caribbean lizard.

brando81373

Postby brando81373 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:57 am

Sidekicking would be great if it can be done, I know I want to help defend the ship against those pesky Nigellians! Maybe just a door mission sample too. Continue the great work!

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:59 pm

Although I have pretty decent bandwidth, I think we need a download manager sooner rather than later. Having to download the entire client every time a patch is released is onerous, especially during testing when new patches are released often.

All that said, I should be in for the invasion test - currently I'm only available in the evenings (or afternoons on the west coast).

And sidekicks would definitely be good. Will it be the version where each SK needs their own mentor, or where the level of the team leader (or maybe the highest level teammate?) sets the level for everyone?

Actjcksn

Postby Actjcksn » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:10 pm

I'm willing and able to participate. If we are able to use the Heroes created in the last event, I can be a mentor and/or a sidekick. :D
3) Expect the Plan to go off the rails...
4) ...Throw away the Plan

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:28 pm

Great feedback, and yes the sidekick option will be included (we think) and the team leader level will set the level for everyone on the team -- minus one if you are a lower level. So a level 20 team leader jumps up a team member who is normally level 6 to level 19.

It sounds like a weekend evening is the best for everyone? Is that true?

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:19 pm

In case you were wondering, I'm most definitely in!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:40 pm

Im down unless schedule conflicts, never know too much in advance
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

Itlandm

Postby Itlandm » Mon May 04, 2020 7:43 pm

I am sorry to say I have to join the bench with those waiting for a more efficient patcher. The Internet infrastructure here in Norway is kind of strained due to all the people working from home and at odd hours during the pandemic, so I cannot say with any certainty that I would be able to keep the game updated. Based on earlier experiences, probably not. I appreciate your hard work and am still donating monthly for the time being, but I'm sitting out tests for now.

Kalos The Sorcerer 13

Postby Kalos The Sorcerer 13 » Wed May 06, 2020 6:10 pm

I Would Love to Participate!

Frogmuscle

Postby Frogmuscle » Wed May 06, 2020 8:17 pm

I'm in.

cire

Postby cire » Thu May 07, 2020 9:23 am

I'm game to test too.

Yes, a weekend evening sounds like the best time for me.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri May 08, 2020 9:34 am

I want to give a brief update on what we're doing at the moment.

First, we're about to publish a short video of the Twin Swords powerset in action. The key question is this: is the combat too fast, or not? What does the community want? As far as we can tell, Twin Swords is the fastest melee powerset, so if you want a faster option, let us know. Slower sets are already available.

After this, we're working on a test situation for the Invasion event. Sometimes we think you guys must wonder, "why do they test so much at SoH?" After all, why not just throw the server open and run an invasion? Well, part of the answer is that we think we should test before we call all of you in to try something new, and another part of the story is that we are concerned with FPS. Yes, boring old FPS, that we talk about all of the time.

In an MMO, FPS is really important. Especially if the MMO is going to have some social elements like rewards for teaming, etc. It needs to work well. And we want to set the standard for bringing a lot of players into a single instance, because that enhances the experience for everyone.

So each morning we are looking at a day's worth of progress on testing -- trying to see how many players and enemies we can have in an invasion, and still keep the FPS high. We've had a couple of hilarious setbacks like one situation when the fight occurred but the players were invisible... just an occasional dead pet falling to the ground. But casualties were piling up.

We fixed that... but then the players and the enemies were both invisible. Sigh. There's always something. We also fixed two borked materials, and some powers that got out of whack, and like fifty other things.

Testing is moving along. so we feel pretty good about the invasion test not only working, but setting a new standard in MMOs for really big battles, especially in an urban setting.

So right now we are still thinking we will get the invasion going in June.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Mon May 11, 2020 12:48 pm

I'll be there if I can. It's too early to commit, that annoying real life thing keeps getting in the way of gaming...
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Return to “What's Cooking”