Fighting Sounds

Consultant

Fighting Sounds

Postby Consultant » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:55 am

We're testing an improvement to the sounds of combat. We're providing several sounds for some powers and letting them randomly alternate. It seems good to us, so we'll likely show it in the next video and see what all of you think.

It is more immersive, in our view. And compelling. We'll see what you all think.

The next powerset video is for Street Fighting, which emphasizes single target attacks. As you will all have noticed, Martial Arts has a lot of AOE.

GladDog

Re: Fighting Sounds

Postby GladDog » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:58 am

I rarely listen to music in games, but the actual SFX are very important to me. Glad to see progress in this area!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:43 pm

I am with GD on this. I will turn the music volume way down and only listen to the combat sounds.

I probably would not recognize any iconic music for any games I played because I do that to every game.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:26 pm

Variation in combat sfx is always good. It's amazing how good the human brain is on picking up patterns and repetition.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:00 am

Good to have a lifesign here...
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Thu May 13, 2021 3:15 am

We're testing an improvement to the sounds of combat. We're providing several sounds for some powers and letting them randomly alternate. It seems good to us, so we'll likely show it in the next video and see what all of you think.

It is more immersive, in our view. And compelling. We'll see what you all think.

The next powerset video is for Street Fighting, which emphasizes single target attacks. As you will all have noticed, Martial Arts has a lot of AOE.
Would be cool to have some powerful 70s eastern hiteffects for the martial arts archetype 8-)
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

Return to “What's Cooking”