Update on the CCT Beta

Consultant

Re: Update on the CCT Beta

Postby Consultant » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:14 am

Here are some answers to the questions:

1. On whether there is a decent black color for costume parts (that is what I understood the question to be), I think the answer is a definite yes. In order to confirm this, we will make one of our next videos with the Sorceress (a favorite of our lead coder) because she is wearing some black costume items. We'll add a little bit of video of her in the daylight, just to make sure. When you see the video, let us know.

2. On the issue of whether you can build a character around a particular hat...actually I can say that this never occurred to me, but I think you can. The process we thought people would use with the randomizer features is that they would pick a model (male, female, or big guy), and then get that model to look more or less the way they wanted before the costume. Settle the model, then settle the body. This can be done by picking the morphs one at a time (again, I want to mention that most of us are not artists...with all that this implies). Or by just clicking the randomizer until you what you want, more or less.

Then we thought people would pick clothing and costume parts. When that is settled, you would then pick colors for the costume. And again, you can do this manually, or using randomizer bottons.

If you get a character you like following this process, you can then go back and change your selections. Maybe you love the hat in red, for example, and now want to change the character's eyes to be glowing blue. You can do that.

3. In terms of "locking" a costume piece, we are giving you options, which means the correct answer is "sort of." You need to be careful. You could pick the hat, and then go back and pick new bodies, or new colors, but if you randomize the costume, the hat will be gone and you'll have to restore it manually. We're working on this issue right now, looking at how many intermediate versions can be saved. Our first plan was just one, but we were discussing how this would work, just a few hours ago.

As always, ideas and suggestions are welcome. :)

Scimitar

Postby Scimitar » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:58 am

Thanks for the information!

I think it would be a bit less around picking and locking a hat in and then randomising the character base (but that could happen too) than it would be to say, randomise the costume but lock in a particular item (such as the hat) so that the other items randomise.
I would think this could be applicable to the character base as well, so I could lock in a set of eye styles I like, and then randomise the rest of the appearance.

It may help to see a practical example, such as the character creator in Star Wars The Old Republic which allows for locking particular appearance features (they don't have a lot to start with) or even Champions Online which has the lock feature for the costumes and the character appearances.
In the beginning there was Darkness, so shall it be in the end.
The Light is temporary, Darkness is Eternal.
I am the Herald of Eternity, Usher of the Void, Harbinger of the Abyss, Incarnate of Darkness.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:07 am

Progress on the CCT continues.

We've been experimenting with how to solve the dilemma we've created...we're giving players so many choices, so many options, that no other MMO character creator we're aware of can match us. But this also means that an individual player could literally spend weeks trying out options.

It's important to realize that most of us are not artists, and it is actually complex to fiddle with all of the sliders individually, while trying to achieve a certain "look." How do you want her jawline to look, now that you can control that, for example?

So we face a dilemma -- make it simpler by reducing player choice, or do something else. We opted for something else.

We're adding in some randomize buttons, so that once you choose a model (male, female, or big guy) a player can click the button to see many different versions of character. You can still fiddle and adjust a character one slider at a time of course. Or find a randomized character you like and make adjustments to that.

Then, for costumes, you can use the randomize costume button and see your avatar in different kinds of costume and clothing combinations. And of course you can manually override that and just choose what you want from the options.

Then you can hit the randomize colors (for the clothing, not the hair, etc.) and see how it looks. Or just pick the colors you like manually.

And you can go back and forth if you want to change something that occurred earlier in the process once you have run through it all once.

We now have it on our list to create a video of this, but give us some time, we're still coding and adjusting. But this selection process is going to make it much easier for a player with modest art skills to get what they want, in a reasonable amount of time.

Of course, "reasonable" is in the eye of the beholder.
So I take it there are a vast amount of costume choices? I do not expect animals in the beta. CoH did not have until years later. So long as I know they are in the back-burner. FFIXV makes me want some Lion-men, or bunny people :lol:

In the future, I am curious to see how they will fit in; in terms of hair and clothing options.

"No other MMO can match." Sounds like I may have to put CO to the side.

As for reasonable, in terms of creating a character, it can take days, on and off :lol:

Hopefully there is something in there for everyone. Anime fans get their spiky wild-man SS3 hairs, the classic heroes get their butt chins and front curl, tech people get their Iron suits, and fans of the martial arts get their Ninja & Samurai.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:43 pm

Actually, we have maybe a dozen hero costumes for each model. but if you think about it, it is relatively easy to add more costumes now that we have a system and templates and examples. But relatively hard to add morphs because they need to affect all of the player files, not just the particular one we are creating. So we'll be adding stuff to make the CCT better every few months. But what we have already that I do not see in other MMOs is the ability to customize the faces and to some degree the bodies of the characters, right out of the gate.

Too much customization for some, but you don't add it in later. Costumes and animal skins, that you can add in later.

alltrueist

Postby alltrueist » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:55 pm

I've never found the randomize button helpful in a Superhero MMO. The pre-set costumes that CoH had were SUPER helpful though.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:52 pm

The Randomize button, since it can be aimed at specific parts of your costume, are just ideas for you to build on. If you are developing a character and kind of stuck on what costume you want for it, then hit the randomize button a few times until you see a good promising base. Then develop it from there!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Scimitar

Postby Scimitar » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:29 pm

All in all it sounds like it will be awesome, I look forward to seeing how it goes and what I can create from it :D
I am the Herald of Eternity, Usher of the Void, Harbinger of the Abyss, Incarnate of Darkness.

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:03 am

Just to clarify what I want: here is a screenshot from the DDO character tool. While this game has really limited customization options, notice the lock icon to the right of each option. Clicking that button will prevent the randomizer from touching that feature.

Here's a look at the SW:TOR creator:

These are not recent games. I realize we will have substantially more options to play with. It's not a deal-breaker, but if they could do it 13 years ago... <shrug>

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:57 pm

The random customize button in CO was pretty solid imo.

I guess it is like an artist who slaps a few strokes on the board, observe it, and he gets an idea.

(Not to compare myself to an artist, I am not.....An artist).

It was an inspiration to me personally. I would get ideas through the randomize button. That is just me.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:09 am

Let me give another update on the CCT Beta. Right now we are waiting on one thing to be fixed by Unreal, which is their interaction with TrueSKY, which is broken at the moment. We've diagnosed it and it all rests with Unreal at the moment as far as we can tell. So there could be a couple of weeks still to go.

Since that is happening, we are continuing to develop and add things.

The plan is that tomorrow we'll launch a short video showing the interior of the Beta Club, our hangout which is the equivalent of a Star Wars cantine or a COH Pocket D. It's pretty cool.

We also had some feedback from a couple of the ladies who work on the game that we need to give our female characters the option for lipstick, so we're adding that to the CCT too.

I feel like adding the Spiderman quote here, that with great power comes great responsibility. And gosh, there are a lot of really bad lipstick colors out there. But we're giving you guys the freedom.

We're polishing the interior of the hospital. Not the entire building, but the general interior that gives you doors and openings into other missions of the future. We think this is cool, because of the contrast with the Beta Club, among other elements. We're also expanding the exterior of the hospital a bit to accomodate the enlarged interior.

Things are progressing. And look for that video tomorrow. You'll be able to enter the Club during the CCT beta.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:38 am

Hmm, black glossy lipstick! I feel a goth coming on. Course a goth isn't complete without heavy eye shadow and a tattoo or two...

It's all starting to sound exciting now. Can't wait to see that club video :)
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Scimitar

Postby Scimitar » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:06 pm

SHINY!
I watched the video link posted by Golden on the Announcements channel on Discord.
It looks great, it'll be cool to have an area where players can meet up and chill before going out to save the Ship.
I like the colouring on Sorceress, the black and grey looks good.
The club looks very clubby, it has the music and the lights and the awkward dance moves to boot.

So the only real question is: who else is up for a Beta Club hunting party?

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:26 pm

I shall find the hidden entrance and aquire The golden badge of awkward club dancing.

Then I will stand with my great golden sword and block everyone else from entering. :twisted:
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Rune

Postby Rune » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:43 pm

Who will be invited to the CCT beta, exactly?

Are all the players to be invited limited to only supporters?

I ask because this could lead you guys to making a perhaps costly mistake of only getting feedback from your hardcore supporters who are already invested, and this can lead to a closed off feedback loop.

When gathering feedback, it is important to get it from as many places, diverse opinions as possible, to attract many more future prospective subscribers, than it is to just hear the same few voices all mostly agreeing with one another.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:10 pm

Supporters only. This is not a multi-million dollar project, donations are what keeps it going. Things like the CCT beta are reserved for the donators as a thank you for their support.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Return to “What's Cooking”