Update on the CCT Beta

Consultant

Re: Update on the CCT Beta

Postby Consultant » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:50 am

Changing costumes for a given character would be a good thing to enable, but we have not worked on it yet. But I think we will.

Odee

Postby Odee » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:10 am

So I was thinking (always dangerous, .... and painful...).

could it be possible to have multiple builds? that can be switched on or off with the click of a button -and possibly a costume switch?

I'm thinking more or less hero mode / civilian mode.

you start with blank taskbars in both civilian and hero mode and you can assign powers and or emotes to them as you like.

couple of examples. you could make the both the exact same. no big deal. or you could fill one up with emotes for civilian role play.
More clutter, but with useful Macros this time, Golden Ace?

What if ...we could attach powers to these emotes, that let us change from Zero to Hero with a flourish and a click?
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:19 am

could it be possible to have multiple builds? that can be switched on or off with the click of a button -and possibly a costume switch?

you start with blank taskbars in both civilian and hero mode and you can assign powers and or emotes to them as you like.

couple of examples. you could make them both the exact same. no big deal. or you could fill one up with emotes for civilian role play.

What if ...we could attach powers to these emotes, that let us change from Zero to Hero with a flourish and a click?
entirely up to you what macro's you want.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Odee

Postby Odee » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:59 pm

couple of examples. you could make them both the exact same. no big deal. or you could fill one up with emotes for civilian role play.

entirely up to you what macro's you want.
AHA! Raises an imperious finger... So there will be emotes, and power configurable Macro capability!

See what information one can dig out, by waving a mere donut under the interviewees nose? :lol: :lol:

Scimitar

Postby Scimitar » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:38 am

Costume switch between hero and civilian? I like this! :mrgreen:

Will we be able to view the (currently) available powersets in the CCT Beta? I don't expect to be able to run around the Beta blasting things, but being able to see how power selection works in the CCT would be cool. :idea:
...and naturally goes toward my character conceptualisation :ugeek:
In the beginning there was Darkness, so shall it be in the end.
The Light is temporary, Darkness is Eternal.
I am the Herald of Eternity, Usher of the Void, Harbinger of the Abyss, Incarnate of Darkness.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:09 am

Costume switch between hero and civilian? I like this! :mrgreen:
That sounds good! Need to be able to switch between at least three then: superhero, civilian and daytime job :)
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Odee

Postby Odee » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:19 am

Changing costumes for a given character would be a good thing to enable, but we have not worked on it yet. But I think we will.
Disclaimer; I have been wrong in the past.

For COH, we can make a macro that does this for us, using the following parameters; /Macro C3, "CCE 3 CCBackflip$$say TADA!"

/Macro C3 creates a button labeled C1 for the task bar.
"CCE 3 CCBackflip commands the costume change to costume slot 1, after the emote Backflip.
$$Say Tada" is a string command to say Tada.

On execution (that's press the cute button to the uninformed) your character does a backflip, changes costume to slot 3, and says TADA! on the active channel

Scimitar

Postby Scimitar » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:27 am

/Macro C3 creates a button labeled C1 for the task bar.
"CCE 3 CCBackflip commands the costume change to costume slot 1, after the emote Backflip.
$$Say Tada" is a string command to say Tada.
That's cool!
You could use that for a transformation phrase or something, like Go-Go-Gadget-Costume (for instance)
That sounds good! Need to be able to switch between at least three then: superhero, civilian
Guild Wars 2 used to have a town clothing option, this was basically an option to switch your outfit to a racial clothing appearance for use in town only. Nobody used it though so that's likely why it was removed.
In a SuperHero MMO however there is plenty of reason to use a function to switch costumes/roles.
and daytime job
In FFXIV you switch to a different class for your crafting/gathering, which changes your gear as well. It's nice for an immersive feel.
I am the Herald of Eternity, Usher of the Void, Harbinger of the Abyss, Incarnate of Darkness.

Odee

Postby Odee » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:41 am

Absolutely spot on, Scimitar. PLUS! (Oh you knew it was coming...) SWTOR, and LOTRO have costume slots on the Character Screen, already built in, that you can select with a click.

On the right side of the picture, you can see the slots available at a click.
The main section has boxes, with a little eye in a corner, that lets you turn on/off particular body parts you don't want displayed when playing. In essence, you could run around the game, looking like you're in your shorts. But really be armored up to the nines. LOL

Scimitar

Postby Scimitar » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:53 am

Ah yes, cosmetic outfit slots.
SWTOR does indeed have that, you can create your outfit on there and apply it, that way your appearance remains unchanged regardless of what you have equipped.
GW2 has a similar option, but this toggles the appearance of pre-created outfits.
CO's equipment on the other hand has no visual impact so your appearance is entirely based on your created costume, it also has multiple costume slots you can change to in their character menus.

These can all work for a SuperHero MMO where you would want a particular theme or costume style for your hero. It would change organically over time as you refine your hero and style, but at least wouldn't have the hodge-podge motley appearance that happens in games like WoW (where every time you find a shiny new piece of gear it changes the appearance of that part)

That said, there's no harm in having the option to do this, this could be a great way to unlock appearances (like WoW has with their Appearance collection) but can also lend itself to a concept for a powered person who has to scrounge up gear. :idea:

Scimitar

Postby Scimitar » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:49 pm

I updated some games and took some screenshots to illustrate some of the outfit options.
Apologies, this will be a bit long, split into 2 parts. (Spoiler tag doesn't work to hide them)

WoW:
Appearance: You can change the appearance per piece of gear, this can be done individually or by selecting a completed armour set. Changing gear changes the appearance to whatever the new gear item looks like until you manually change the appearance again.
Dye: There are no options to dye items or alter their colours.
Collection: Items appearances can be collected provided your character uses that class of item, the item cannot be traded to other players but can be sold. Collections are account-wide.
ImageImageImage

SWTOR:
Appearance: You can create custom outfits via the Outfit Designer, this will overrule any appearances from your gear. You can use items you've made, earned or bought in here.
Dye: You can apply dye to parts of the outfit, or to the chest piece and have the rest of it match the chest. Dye is restricted to a single dye slot per piece that contains only primary and secondary colours. These apply to predetermined parts of gear. Dyes need to be bought from vendors, auction or MTX.
Collection: Only items obtained from MTX are added to the Collections, unlocking items across the account costs the MTX currency.
ImageImageImage

Part 1/2
Last edited by Scimitar on Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scimitar

Postby Scimitar » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:54 pm

Continued:

GW2:
Appearance: You can change individual pieces of gear (like with WoW) or you can apply the appearance of an Outfit. An outfit is a pre-created appearance item that you toggle on or off and will determine your appearance regardless of equipped gear.
Dye: Dye can be applied to armour, outfits, mounts, etc. Weapons and some items cannot be dyed. Dyes need to be unlocked via gameplay, MTX or Trade post. The number of dye-able sections varies per armour piece, and the way a colour applies depends on the material: cloth, metal, leather.
Collection: Item appearances unlock similarly to WoW, you can add an item appearance to your Wardrobe, the item can no longer be traded to other players but can be discarded, salvaged or sold to a vendor.
ImageImageImage

CO:
Appearance: You can design your costume from a large variety of options and sub-options, equipped gear has no appearance effect. You look however you have set up your costume. You can have multiple costumes as well, and there are options for aura effects (like having glowing hands or full body glow)
Dye: There is a large colour pallet available and outfits can be dyed a base colour that applies to all parts, or parts can be dyed individually. The number of dye-able parts varies per piece.
Collection: There are quite a few items locked behind MTX, however there is still a large selection of parts available without spending money.
ImageImageImage

Part 2/2

Odee

Postby Odee » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:59 pm

Looks like the Aye-yi-yi's have it

Major Victory

Postby Major Victory » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:25 am

I'm a computer caveman, I have to actually have someone talk me through making macros! Reading what to type in usually results in garbage. So having costume slots or built-in already done macros that would allow me to quick change or instachange from hero to secret ID and back would be cool.

And lots of characters had normal weak secret IDs and powers only in hero form or instachange: Shazam/Captain Marvel/Captain Marvel Jr/Mary Marvel, Master Man, Golden Lad, Red Rube, Green Mask, Thor, Captain Marvel/Rick Jones duo just to name a few.

Heck, setting up something in game for fun, like: You are at your day job when suddenly you hear/see/read of a crime[s] in progress. Do you "A" continue with your day job and ignore this, believing other heroes will handle the problem[s]. Or "B" do you slip away from your day job to handle one of these crimes? And if you pick "B", you have to actually maneuver your character on the map to a point on the map where they can either instachange or quick change into their hero ID without being spotted doing so.

Could have fun with finding places to change. :twisted: Bathroom? Finding an empty stall, watching people's expressions as a hero pops out of there? Finding a stock room? Empty stairwell? Finding an alley that doesn't have someone slumped over there recovering from their drug high or drink? Getting access to a roof at work or elsewhere? Getting in a cab on one side, changing in the cab and then popping out the door on the other side of the cab?

And of course, the nearby NPCs making comments about how well you sneakily, or not, managed to do your costume change! ;)
"Hey! That was my cab! Get out of it! Oh! It was some guy just changing into Superior Steve!"
"Madam, you do realize that this is the men's locker room, don't you? Try changing in the women's locker room next time!"
"Hey Mommy! Why is that man running into that alleyway while trying to rip open his shirt?"
"Wow! That bolt of lightning almost hit me!"
[or around Halloween] "Hey! That gal in the ghost costume just changed in Burning Jack O' Lantern Woman!"

It could be a main part of the game or it could be a series of mini-missions where this stuff happens or you could have Secret Identity Day, where one day a week the players have to deal with this kind of stuff. Or it could be a Special Event that happens once a year for a few weeks or a month.

Odee

Postby Odee » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:18 pm

I'm a computer caveman, I have to actually have someone talk me through making macros! Reading what to type in usually results in garbage. So having costume slots or built-in already done macros that would allow me to quick change or instachange from hero to secret ID and back would be cool...
This is why you have SoH's marvelous community of players, to help out. ;)

Return to “What's Cooking”