Update on the CCT Beta

Consultant

Re: Update on the CCT Beta

Postby Consultant » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:54 am

I think I understand your point, but we are trying hard to get some options in the faces right now because, unlike costumes and weapons, we cannot easily add this stuff later unless the platform is in place.

We would not want to allow 20 faces now, and have players develop thier core badge or combat characters using those faces and then enable much better faces later, but only for characters created later. We think it is better to begin as we intend to continue.

More costumes will come.

And no, none of the faces stuff comes from the engine, every tem has to decide and install "something" that they like into thier game. Maybe a cheap plugin, maybe something better. We went for better. And all of this work has to be done in a way that works with the FPS goals, which are needed to deliver the actual MMORPG experience.

Good comments Pyrion. We appreciate that you are thinking about the trade-offs.

Scimitar

Postby Scimitar » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:52 am

Faces are important, but good to note potential performance impact. It also depends on how the game will show your character as well as how you will have your character set up.
Some games tend to feature your character in important cut-scenes without their headgear so you can see the face and the expressions, this doesn't necessarily apply to a Super Hero game as some characters wouldn't want to show their faces at all, but for players who want their character faces to be visible it is as important as the costume details.
This can also be important for players who want to roleplay or show details that pertain to their character backstory (like blind in one eye, etc)

I'm looking forward to seeing what's on offer in the character creator. :mrgreen:
In the beginning there was Darkness, so shall it be in the end.
The Light is temporary, Darkness is Eternal.
I am the Herald of Eternity, Usher of the Void, Harbinger of the Abyss, Incarnate of Darkness.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:12 pm

And the newsletter is out. :)

If you have an account and can post on these forums, but do not get the newsletter (and would like to get them when they come out), let us know.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:13 pm

Is the CCT still planned for August? Because we're running low on August :D
hehe

When we run low on September, then we are in CoT country. SoH are not the type of devs who throw out three or four dates, then axe them. I take it the CCT will be playable this month.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:14 pm

The Costume Creator has been ready. But part of the deal with the Costume Creator is that we are allowing players to run around inside the city after they make their character. However with Truesky being on the fritz because of a Niagara conflict with the unreal engine - which unreal has to fix. We are making some updates and improvements to the Costume Creator. Nothing that will delay the CCT once the Niagara conflict is fixed, but stuff that is more quality of life for the players. For example we are adding an expressions slider which should only take a couple of days, while we wait for the unreal fix.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:07 am

Great newsletter! Quality examples, and the expression system seems like it will add that extra bit of magic customization. No problem at all about more costumes in the future.

Scimitar

Postby Scimitar » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:02 am

Great newsletter! Quality examples, and the expression system seems like it will add that extra bit of magic customization. No problem at all about more costumes in the future.
I'm just going to second this ^
In the beginning there was Darkness, so shall it be in the end.
The Light is temporary, Darkness is Eternal.
I am the Herald of Eternity, Usher of the Void, Harbinger of the Abyss, Incarnate of Darkness.

TigerOpsF

Postby TigerOpsF » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:03 am

Thirded. Also, *love* the beards being in now. I absolutely cannot wait to explore all those options.

The detail quality and variety look fantastic. I'm proud of what you guys have accomplished in such a short period of time and with the resources you've had available. Looking forward to the beta!

olepi

Postby olepi » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:21 am

Now we just the ability to choose what facial expressions go with which emotes, so we can make faces at each other. :mrgreen:
2019: 42 years on the Net.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:24 am

Oh that would be interesting. We could change the expression of our character while playing.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:48 am

Just one word: AWESOME! :o
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

Galactus55

Postby Galactus55 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:26 pm

Impressive!!!
May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

Odee

Postby Odee » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:02 am

And the newsletter is out. :)

If you have an account and can post on these forums, but do not get the newsletter (and would like to get them when they come out), let us know.
Is there a way you can check who does get the newsletter? Already get alerts from posts I follow, and on FaceBook. But not sure if I'm getting any special mails directed my way other than those.
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:02 am

We cannot check en masse because we have 12,000 plus enrolled on the forums.

But someone can enroll and check the box that says "don't send me stuff" and that person will not be getting the newsletter. Default is to receive the newsletter.

If you are not sure, you can check your account and see which email address you used, I think.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:05 am

Olepi makes a really good point. You can change your facial expression on the go, in game, in real time. That actually had not occurred to me. But it did occur to some of you, and it did occur to our lead coder. Last night he sent me a quick video of the first version of the smile/neutral/frown emote. Not bad!

I asked him if other games had this capability and he thought maybe EQ or EQ2 had it.

Does anyone know if other games allow players to change their avatar expressions in-game? I have not actually seen this, that I can recall.

Return to “What's Cooking”