Update on the CCT Beta

lunawisp

Re: Update on the CCT Beta

Postby lunawisp » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:15 pm

That was an interesting video. Like the look of the club, nice and flashy and exciting and the black looks good on the sorceress.

Early September for the CTC beta though? That looks ominous. Hope I don't miss it! Wouldn't that be typical LOL
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

gemini

Postby gemini » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:18 pm

Looking good *opens wallet again*

Ugh summer... so many new computer labs to setup :(

Galactus55

Postby Galactus55 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:03 pm

xX All good things come to those who wait. Xx

:)
May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

primosp

Postby primosp » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:37 am

Supporters only. This is not a multi-million dollar project, donations are what keeps it going. Things like the CCT beta are reserved for the donators as a thank you for their support.
Has it been determined what tier of supporters made the cut? Need to know where I stand to see if I’m in the clear to participate or need to open my wallet a bit more. ;)

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:22 am

Supporters only. This is not a multi-million dollar project, donations are what keeps it going. Things like the CCT beta are reserved for the donators as a thank you for their support.
Has it been determined what tier of supporters made the cut? Need to know where I stand to see if I’m in the clear to participate or need to open my wallet a bit more. ;)
Copied from my blog, (edit, came from this thread): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2966#p22919
All you need to do to qualify for the character/costume creator beta is have donated enough towards the development of Ship of Heroes to have reached the 'Stylish' level - that' means having donated at least 50 US Dollars. And, yes, donations made over any period of time on the same account accumulate.
Last edited by lunawisp on Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:54 am

I must say - I think SoH will make more money through donations if an event like the CC Beta is open to anyone interested. Give people a taste and ask for donations for access to future events. People will already have the client installed then, and will be WAY more likely to donate after it's set up on their computer. This would be something I'd bet a lot of people would download to try. I could see news of it going through r/cityofheroes and through the Homecoming server chats themselves.

Unless it'd be too complicated to grant and then restrict access later? But why? Couldnt accounts without logged donations simply be made unable to log in after the CC Beta?

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:58 am

Surprisingly, it is not free to just "open it up to everyone." Whenever we hold an event, the technical development team ends up being customer service for a period of days to weeks. When we did the Login Test last December something like 250 real supporters jumped into the City and ran around for an hour. I would guess maybe 100 of them had issues of some kind and ended up interacting with us, looking for support, asking questions (including about how to download a game, why their computer was not working, etc.,).

That was a huge effort. And this event may be twice as big, and also will last longer.

We're not the sort of guys who can just say to supporters "figure it out yourselves or you're going to miss the event." We want to help.

Also, we anticipate that many players will get into the game and be trying to get something done that matches thier mental picture. How many times will be get a question of "how do I add a cat tail to my character (answer -- you can't right now)?"

We think 200-500 people will qualify and then participate in the CCT Beta, using the $50 rule. While letting everybody in might raise this number, would we really get different feedback? Or would we get the same feedback x10 and such a huge number of questions and requests for assistance that it would reduce our development speed?

We love to get people involved, but we can also have another CCT Beta later on, before the game launches.

Odee

Postby Odee » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:48 am

... We think 200-500 people will qualify and then participate in the CCT Beta, using the $50 rule. While letting everybody in might raise this number, would we really get different feedback? Or would we get the same feedback x10 and such a huge number of questions and requests for assistance that it would reduce our development speed?

We love to get people involved, but we can also have another CCT Beta later on, before the game launches.
I wonder how much funding for SoH would be increased, by Open, or Closed BETA Testing the Account Subscription for SOH?
Last edited by Odee on Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Scimitar

Postby Scimitar » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:46 am

I would guess maybe 100 of them had issues of some kind and ended up interacting with us, looking for support, asking questions (including about how to download a game, why their computer was not working, etc.,).
THIS! ^^^
The plight of IT & Dev everywhere. The number of times I have people come up to tell me their account is locked out or they're supposed to be collecting a laptop from the service desk team or something. I work in IT, I don't work on the service desk. I also get questions that are for the developer departments instead. :roll:
We think 200-500 people will qualify and then participate in the CCT Beta, using the $50 rule. While letting everybody in might raise this number, would we really get different feedback? Or would we get the same feedback x10 and such a huge number of questions and requests for assistance that it would reduce our development speed?

200 - 500 people is plenty, I would keep this as a closed beta currently. While more IS better when you need sampling you still need to cater for actually processing the data. The smaller group of donors provides a narrow focus group who already have a vested interest in seeing success for the game, this means people who will be looking for bugs while looking at what things have been done well and that they have enjoyed.
This should* result in both constructive criticism and praise that can lead to furthering the development of the game. :ugeek:

An open beta makes for a good option closer to launch, typically to test server balancing and load.
You could potentially look at having a free trial (such as the type that WoW and FFXIV have) if you are looking to expand the subscribers post-launch. :idea:

* should : common IT term used for most things while understanding that users do not operate the same way
In the beginning there was Darkness, so shall it be in the end.
The Light is temporary, Darkness is Eternal.
I am the Herald of Eternity, Usher of the Void, Harbinger of the Abyss, Incarnate of Darkness.

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:27 pm

Is it usual to have an open beta when the game is PTP at release? :|
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:44 pm

I see, I definitely wasn't factoring in the customer support demand. Cool, more open testings await!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:18 pm

Apparently several thousand supporter did not get the newsletter yesterday do to a technical error. So we moved to send it tonight, and it seems we have the wrong picture on the front!

Sorry about that!

But at least it did go out. :)

Scimitar

Postby Scimitar » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:26 am

Happy 4th of July :lol:
In the beginning there was Darkness, so shall it be in the end.
The Light is temporary, Darkness is Eternal.
I am the Herald of Eternity, Usher of the Void, Harbinger of the Abyss, Incarnate of Darkness.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:00 am

Happy Go Daddy :D
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

olepi

Postby olepi » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:21 am

Allowing the general public into the beta would probably make more sense as a stress test. Once the code is fairly stable, run a systems stress test to see what problems crop up with thousands or tens of thousands of players on.

For now, the closed beta is the way to go to get feedback on features.
2019: 42 years on the Net.

Return to “What's Cooking”