Update on the CCT Beta

AxerJ

Re: Update on the CCT Beta

Postby AxerJ » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:11 pm

Sweet!

gemini

Postby gemini » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:52 am

Been a busy summer (1200 devices to get up and running!) but stopped in to say "Awesome!"

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:15 pm

During the upcoming character creator beta, we're going to give participants an option to run around the city and explore. Some buildings will be open, including one building in the Warehouse District, and of course Ivar & Sons Auction House. But also we'll allow people to jump into the hospital lobby and poke around, and in addition we're going to have a nightclub with a hidden entrance, called the Beta Club.

There'll be a badge for finding the entrance and getting into the club. It's not quite finished, but it is looking pretty darn good.

LaughingLandry

Postby LaughingLandry » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:49 pm

Really nice looking so far ! Super excited!!

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:33 pm

If the Beta Club is owned by Stavro Mueller, Arthur Dent should probably steer clear.

Scimitar

Postby Scimitar » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:36 am

I guess that means we need to warn all of you that you might want to schedule some real time to fiddle with the options, when the Beta comes out...
Sign me up! I LOVE character creation, I spend ages in a character creator; I have to pre-stage characters if I'm going to play anything with my friends because I take so long to get the look just right :ugeek:

Are there any particular bugs you want us to be keeping an eye out for?
In the beginning there was Darkness, so shall it be in the end.
The Light is temporary, Darkness is Eternal.
I am the Herald of Eternity, Usher of the Void, Harbinger of the Abyss, Incarnate of Darkness.

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:50 am

During the upcoming character creator beta, we're going to give participants an option to run around the city and explore. Some buildings will be open, including one building in the Warehouse District, and of course Ivar & Sons Auction House. But also we'll allow people to jump into the hospital lobby and poke around, and in addition we're going to have a nightclub with a hidden entrance, called the Beta Club.

There'll be a badge for finding the entrance and getting into the club. It's not quite finished, but it is looking pretty darn good.

Cool. I´m so exited! 8-)
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:21 am

Progress on the CCT continues.

We've been experimenting with how to solve the dilemma we've created...we're giving players so many choices, so many options, that no other MMO character creator we're aware of can match us. But this also means that an individual player could literally spend weeks trying out options.

It's important to realize that most of us are not artists, and it is actually complex to fiddle with all of the sliders individually, while trying to achieve a certain "look." How do you want her jawline to look, now that you can control that, for example?

So we face a dilemma -- make it simpler by reducing player choice, or do something else. We opted for something else.

We're adding in some randomize buttons, so that once you choose a model (male, female, or big guy) a player can click the button to see many different versions of character. You can still fiddle and adjust a character one slider at a time of course. Or find a randomized character you like and make adjustments to that.

Then, for costumes, you can use the randomize costume button and see your avatar in different kinds of costume and clothing combinations. And of course you can manually override that and just choose what you want from the options.

Then you can hit the randomize colors (for the clothing, not the hair, etc.) and see how it looks. Or just pick the colors you like manually.

And you can go back and forth if you want to change something that occurred earlier in the process once you have run through it all once.

We now have it on our list to create a video of this, but give us some time, we're still coding and adjusting. But this selection process is going to make it much easier for a player with modest art skills to get what they want, in a reasonable amount of time.

Of course, "reasonable" is in the eye of the beholder.

Inkaris

Postby Inkaris » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:05 am

Sounds great! :D

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:58 pm

Progress on the CCT continues.

We've been experimenting with how to solve the dilemma we've created...we're giving players so many choices, so many options, that no other MMO character creator we're aware of can match us. But this also means that an individual player could literally spend weeks trying out options.
This is no disadvantage! This is great!
Just give us the opportunity to load and save our creations and everything will be fine! :D
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:30 pm

Wait what? You mean it doesn’t just default to Gold?? :mad:
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:59 pm

Just as long as a decent black is an option for most of the costume parts I'll be happy. Took me months to unlock a nice deep black in GW2, what a drag that was!
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:12 pm

Will we be able to lock options that we really like, then randomize the rest? For instance, there's a hat that I absolutely want to use, but I'm unsure what to do with it: can I lock the hat option, then randomize the rest of the costume pieces?

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:40 pm

Will we be able to lock options that we really like, then randomize the rest? For instance, there's a hat that I absolutely want to use, but I'm unsure what to do with it: can I lock the hat option, then randomize the rest of the costume pieces?
That's a good question.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Scimitar

Postby Scimitar » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:10 am

This is no disadvantage! This is great!
Just give us the opportunity to load and save our creations and everything will be fine!
Seconding this, I may need to re-think my poll vote to be 3+ hours though :lol:
Just as long as a decent black is an option for most of the costume parts I'll be happy. Took me months to unlock a nice deep black in GW2, what a drag that was!
Seconding this too, the struggle is real when you really love to wear black on your characters. 8-)
A +1 to this as well, this is quite a useful option to have, particularly when you are randomising to find the closest match to what you envision. :geek:
So we face a dilemma -- make it simpler by reducing player choice, or do something else. We opted for something else.
Are you intending to have some preset models as well? This is often a good way to find something close and adjust accordingly. :idea:
In the beginning there was Darkness, so shall it be in the end.
The Light is temporary, Darkness is Eternal.
I am the Herald of Eternity, Usher of the Void, Harbinger of the Abyss, Incarnate of Darkness.

Return to “What's Cooking”