Update on the CCT Beta

Consultant

Update on the CCT Beta

Postby Consultant » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:24 am

We're working away on issues related to the CCT Beta, and we're making progress. We will have a Beta as soon as we can manage -- most likely in late August.

We're having some fun working everything out and we're pretty happy with a lot of stuff we have working in the CCT now. More preset faces, more skin options, better hair options, more costumes, a very powerful set of morphs that can be applied to every preset face...

This is going to be fun.

We're also working up a new map of Apothesosis City, so participants in the Beta can run around a bit and explore. There won't be combat in this Beta (it is the character creation Beta, not a combat Beta after all), but we think you're going to be pleased.

And we're going to organize some events in the City at different times, so people can get together, chat, ask the devs questions, etc.

Stay tuned, we're going to start showing off some aspects of the CCT.

lunawisp

Re: Update on the CCT Beta

Postby lunawisp » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:46 am

There's a few things there to look forward to ;)
It's always interesting to see how other people design their characters and I can't wait to get back into the city again! Seeing videos and screenshots isn't quite the same as being there!

Waiting with bated breath...
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:56 am

Looking forward to it
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:53 am

We actually have kind of an issue with the CCT. A player can make so many different kinds of characters with different faces, differenet sizes and costumes, that it becomes an issue to explain the range of the possible for us.

We made an internal video just showing the preset faces for the female model, and slightly cycling the skin tone and hair models. A real quickie video. But since we have more than 40 present faces, the video ran to more than eight minutes.

And that had no changes in hair color, or facial morphs, or exotic skin colors, or SciFi implants...and it was only the females, and there was no consideration of the costumes at all...

Just the preset female faces took 8+ minutes.

I guess that means we need to warn all of you that you might want to schedule some real time to fiddle with the options, when the Beta comes out...

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:30 am

Not an issue with me. I usually spend hours upon hours in the costume creator trying to make that perfect look every time I make a new character.

Actjcksn

Postby Actjcksn » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:06 pm

That sounds awesome to me! I do hope there is a way to save your progress and save your own preset faces. Multiple iterations and/or updates to the face may be needed before perfection is achieved.
(aka GregoryKC66)
3) Expect the Plan to go off the rails...
4) ...Throw away the Plan

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:07 am

Sounds great. Looking forward to it.
By the way, will NDA be released for CCT beta?
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:15 am

Right now we are planning to continue with our previous process, and not require NDAs.

The Beta is for donors, so everyone involved has helped us.

We generally do not object to people advertsing our Alphas and Betas. IF something goes terribly wrong (and it might), we don't hide it, we admit it and then try to fix it.

That seems easier to us.

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:28 am

Right now we are planning to continue with our previous process, and not require NDAs.

The Beta is for donors, so everyone involved has helped us.

We generally do not object to people advertsing our Alphas and Betas. IF something goes terribly wrong (and it might), we don't hide it, we admit it and then try to fix it.

That seems easier to us.
Understood. Thank you.
If somebody would do a video of this "early event" we could watch this in 5 or 10 years and remember how it started... 8-)
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:05 am

Thankyou. Added to my own 'What's Cooking' page, https://www.heroesin.space/p/whats-cooking.html :)
Last edited by lunawisp on Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:15 am

Just to give a minor update, one thing that is happening is this:

We reviewed the hair models for the female characters and we spotted a couple of places where, from certain angles, you can see through to the scalp. So we were fixing that yesterday, and have a couple more hair fixes for today.

Another item is that we're adding cars and civilians all over the city, on the new draft map for the CCT Beta. This stuff takes a bit of time, and we're trying not to get it too full, or too empty. FPS is still good, because we've been planning for this stage for a few years.

We're doing a review and some polishing to the animations we've shown recently.

We're also investigating nvcloth, which is the latest Epic tool for making capes move, to see if it is better than what we already have. The jury is out on that one right now.

And we're doing a bunch of other stuff too, of course. Steady progress.

Galactus55

Postby Galactus55 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:49 pm

Just to give a minor update, one thing that is happening is this:

We reviewed the hair models for the female characters and we spotted a couple of places where, from certain angles, you can see through to the scalp. So we were fixing that yesterday, and have a couple more hair fixes for today.

Another item is that we're adding cars and civilians all over the city, on the new draft map for the CCT Beta. This stuff takes a bit of time, and we're trying not to get it too full, or too empty. FPS is still good, because we've been planning for this stage for a few years.

We're doing a review and some polishing to the animations we've shown recently.

We're also investigating nvcloth, which is the latest Epic tool for making capes move, to see if it is better than what we already have. The jury is out on that one right now.

And we're doing a bunch of other stuff too, of course. Steady progress.
Sorry I've been away in COH Homecoming. I have been looking for xxxxxxx SOH name alts.
Anyways CCT Beta looks and sounds awesome can't wait to run it through it's steps!!
May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:21 pm

Will we have Badges? :o

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:23 pm

We actually have kind of an issue with the CCT. A player can make so many different kinds of characters with different faces, differenet sizes and costumes, that it becomes an issue to explain the range of the possible for us.

We made an internal video just showing the preset faces for the female model, and slightly cycling the skin tone and hair models. A real quickie video. But since we have more than 40 present faces, the video ran to more than eight minutes.

And that had no changes in hair color, or facial morphs, or exotic skin colors, or SciFi implants...and it was only the females, and there was no consideration of the costumes at all...

Just the preset female faces took 8+ minutes.

I guess that means we need to warn all of you that you might want to schedule some real time to fiddle with the options, when the Beta comes out...
Good

I never caught onto the CoH craze. The costume creator is a huuuuuuuuge downgrade from Champions Online. So I am like "Yeah.....No thanks, gonna stick to CO where I have more variety.

CO has ruined superhero games for me. I guess it raised the bar, or at least, my expectations.

Don't get me wrong, CoH is great, if you want to make people. DCUO is amazing, if you want to make people. I am more into making people with creature features.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:56 am

Creature features will not be too much in this CCT Beta. But behind the scenes we have made a bunch of features that should allow us to add them later without too much difficulty.

We're sticking with our plan to get something really good launched, and expand from there.

Return to “What's Cooking”