Superspeed Video

Consultant

Superspeed Video

Postby Consultant » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:59 pm

OK, at long last, after three complete rebuilds, we are launching the superspeed video today.

This one has proven to be hard, because we did so much work to meet technical requirements while also trying to buildin a lot of feature, like five different FX options a character can select from.

We also cut it down, so it is kind of starightforward, but we hope you like it!

There is a lot more good stuff coming. :)

gemini

Re: Superspeed Video

Postby gemini » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:57 pm

looking good!

I like the jump / speed combo, tbh, but it might outshine Flight alone, especially because it's so much faster -- in COH I used to often have SS + Combat Jumping and lug around jetpacks for extreme vertical movement

SR20Slider

Postby SR20Slider » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:02 pm

Wow SS looks amazing!
As a player who always goes either the SJ or SS/SJ route on every toon I have ever made. This gets me very excited.
I think my favorite part about it, is the increased jump height, building SS and SJ in to one power would make me a very happy player since that will open up 1 extra power slot for me.
In the beginning of the video, snow drift gets a sort of jumping speed boost, that is very cool! And I can see myself having a lot of fun with that as I jump from rooftop to rooftop going to my next mission.
Everyday I get more excited for the upcoming open beta to begin, and imo this SS could not look better. I remember recently seeing another CoH successor offer a SS video and it just didnt look right. This on the other hand looks better than I ever expected it to look.

Your team never ceases to amaze me, great job guys. This was worth the wait and setbacks because It looks perfect. 👍

Apparition

Postby Apparition » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:36 pm

Super speed looks great. However, I'd prefer that super speed and super jump be separated. The Hulk can leap miles in a single bound, but a speed demon he is not.

Also, is there any possibility of running up buildings ala DC Universe Online?

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:55 pm

Looks great. Also having different visual effects for SS at the beginning is awesome.

Combining superjump with superspeed is also great. In CO you had to purchase both separately.

So if you add superjump as a single travel power later, you could add a AOE damage to the landing zone. 8-)

I also like the sitting animation and the mysterious portal under ground... :? :o
Keep up the great work!
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:50 pm

That's looking really nice. I like the different effects as well. Is it just one standard speed or can it be modified (increased) somehow?

I want to get to the hazard zone now after seeing that!
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

alltrueist

Postby alltrueist » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:27 pm

Since you only mentioned 2 of the visual effects (and I saw 2 others for sure), what are the 5 different effects?

ALSO: can we have a "NO FX" option as well? Electric speed will work fine for my speedster, but I know other characters wouldn't fit into the concept of electric/fire/frost/etc.

Odee

Postby Odee » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:10 am

Looks great, and I agree that with SS on, you should be able to jump a bit higher than normal, as in a Combat Jump. But not Super Jump :D :D
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:11 pm

Every other superhero mmorpg is separating superspeed and superjump as far as I know. We (players) are used to this but I think if you (devs) try to do something different, something fresh, something new, we get used to it and learn to love it. SOH is a new generation superhero mmo and even if you try to get back the overall feeling of COH/COV you also should keep in mind that there will be lots of new players who don`t know the old game anymore.
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:28 pm

I'm putting in the same post I did in another thread. BTW, I mention some form of DCUO's Acrobatics, which could be added into the game after release.
Personally, I like the combined power. SS has a lot of limitations, which is why it saw limited use in CoH, which is the game SoH is based on. DCUO used an entirely different approach to solve these limitations, i.e. running up walls. But combining SS and SJ solves limits with both powers.

There is another travel power to consider, and that is DCUO's Acrobatics. My gosh, this travel method is fun. It is kind of a combination of all of these travel powers, but with parkour and grappling hooks! Even if you hate the overall game, making a DCUO character with Acrobatics will keep you coming back, just for the fun of going someplace.

Having the SS/ Sj combo, along with some form of Acrobatics would be better IMO, and help set this game apart from its spiritual predecessor.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Return to “What's Cooking”