Superspeed

Consultant

Superspeed

Postby Consultant » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:13 am

We created a superspeed video showing the power and four alternate FX choices a player could make, and routed it around internally.

Our decision after this point was that we should undertake one more round of polishing, and then reveal superspeed.

In the meantime, we're working on an important newsletter about augments. We realized that while we built the augment system, we never actually showed it off.

That is what is going on right now.

Golden Ace

Re: Superspeed

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:13 am

Looking forward to both. I would like to see a few Augments and their capabilities
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Kelvinkole

Postby Kelvinkole » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:17 am

Exciting stuff! Very interested in the Augment system

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:20 am

Me too! Can't wait to see what you came up with regarding augments! And while I am not all that excited about Super Speed, I am very happy that it is on track! I know there are plenty of wannabe Flashes interested in this game.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:58 am

Excited to see the superspeed video! I hope there is an option to forego vfx - I like the speed itself to be the visual 8-)

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:25 am

Yes, for FX there are five options: fire, ice, darkness, lightning, and nothing at all. Each character can choose one of these.

We actually discovered something while coding superspeed that we are grappling with. When a character is running along and then jumps, the jump can be extremely powerful. Or not. We can code the time in the air, more or less. So when we show the video, we'll be showing some jumps from rooftop to rooftop. This is superspeed without an explicit power of superjump.

What we're going to do is to let the community weigh in. Is this the way it should be? Should superjump be coded separately? Should the combination of the two be required to jump from rooftop to rooftop?

Once you see it, you'll have have clearer idea of what I'm trying to convey.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:50 am

Superspeed always had a good distance for a jump (not nearly as much as super jump though) but it never had the height. So while it is possible to jump from one building top to another with superspeed it’s really impractical for doing so without having superjump. As I remember super jump and superspeed were a combination for many players they loved having both because they work so well together.

A bit like teleport and hover - They worked well together.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Pyrion

Postby Pyrion » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:24 am

Yes, for FX there are five options: fire, ice, darkness, lightning, and nothing at all. Each character can choose one of these.

We actually discovered something while coding superspeed that we are grappling with. When a character is running along and then jumps, the jump can be extremely powerful. Or not. We can code the time in the air, more or less. So when we show the video, we'll be showing some jumps from rooftop to rooftop. This is superspeed without an explicit power of superjump.

What we're going to do is to let the community weigh in. Is this the way it should be? Should superjump be coded separately? Should the combination of the two be required to jump from rooftop to rooftop?

Once you see it, you'll have have clearer idea of what I'm trying to convey.
Without even seeing the video i can already say that combining superspeed with superjump seems like a good idea to me. Both superspeed and superjump were usually lacking far behind flight in popularity. Combining both makes a lot of sense logically (if you jump while being incredibly fast, what *should* happen? Yea.) and from a balance point of view. It also allows for flight to be relatively fast and not overshadow all alternatives. So i am all for it.

olepi

Postby olepi » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:35 am

I see them as two different things. Superspeed is obviously super speed, and while you are speeding you can jump farther.

If you were stuck in the bottom of a well, and couldn't run to get any superspeed, you'd be trapped. Superjump would allow you to jump out from a standing start.
2019: 42 years on the Net.

Kelvinkole

Postby Kelvinkole » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:35 pm

I'm really torn here. On one hand, superspeed is traditionally thought of as a ground transportation power. You can traverse flat distances extremely quickly, and maybe jump further as your velocity carries you, but you can't leap large vertical distances. A superspeeder may be able to run up building walls to move vertically, but not jump to the top of them. How does the speedster in your video end up on top of a building?

On the other hand, symantics aside I can agree that combining them as one travel power makes for a more competitive choice against flight, and many players took both superspeed and super jump in CoH. Combining them would open up some build freedom too.

I tend to lean more to the side of efficiency and would support combining them.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:55 am

Well, and this is not a permanent answer, our character in the video flew up onto a rooftop and then demonstrated superspeed by jumping from rooftop to rooftop. You could not jump vertically to a high rooftop right now, even with superspeed.

What we are thinking is that once we get into more regular alpha testing, players will give us feedback and this topic will be heavily discussed. So we do not need to decide right now. We (as your devs) just need to keep aware that players will have views.

Pyrion

Postby Pyrion » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:22 am

Well, and this is not a permanent answer, our character in the video flew up onto a rooftop and then demonstrated superspeed by jumping from rooftop to rooftop.\. You could not jump vertically to a high rooftop right now, even with superspeed.

What we are thinking is that once we get into more regular alpha testing, players will give us feedback and this topic will be heavily discussed. So we do not need to decide right now. We (as your devs) just need to keep aware that players will have views.
To clarify my suggestion: I would allow superspeed to have super high jumps. So when a speeder jumps while speeding he will not only jump far but also high, making superjump obsolete. This would achieve several things:
1) You don't need to code a separate power
2) Superspeed is getting much more competitive with flight
3) Flight can actually be a bit faster without stepping on superspeed's toes too much

Parabola

Postby Parabola » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:54 am

To me superspeed and superjump are separate things. I enjoyed the fact that different travel powers caused you to learn how to navigate zones in different ways. You got to see some things when you were stuck on the ground that you might not from the air. Also temporary jet packs were fairly freely available to help out with those tight spots.

As an aside I always thought superjump was a nod to the kind of motion that you'd get from webslinging or that sort of thing without having to code all sorts of complicated mechanics. I took superjump on a lot of characters - for sheer efficiency it was hard to beat. It never needed any slotting, you could get pretty much anywhere, it was pretty quick and combat jumping was a great preliminary power.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:55 am

Keep in mind when watching the Super Speed power in action that temp power flight packs will be easy to get (vendors, crafting, drops, etc...), and should be a good tool to augment any SS limitations you may run into while playing.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

gemini

Postby gemini » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:53 am

I feel like a LONG (horizontal) jump is very appropriate for SS.

Not sold on a HIGH (vertical) jump with SS, it doesn't make sense unless it's decided to roll both powers together for convenience sake - I always felt bad for those poor saps who ONLY took SS and took forever to get anywhere, or when they had to, say, go to Terra Volta ;)

If temp power jetpacks are prolific however...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Return to “What's Cooking”