Planning Game Mechanics for Missions

Consultant

Re: Planning Game Mechanics for Missions

Postby Consultant » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:38 am

Nice!

Galactus55

Postby Galactus55 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:28 pm

Expanding on our plan a bit, we are working to become feature complete for the basic game. That does include some pieces like the powers, powersets, a few example instanced missions, CCT, public events (like invasions), leveling, augments, infusions, teaming, etc. but it does not include an auction house, a full set of missions, a player-facing mission creation system, and other cool stuff that will some later.
Agreed with the Consultant

Make the game complete compact and functioning then add the "Cool Stuff"
May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

Hadder

Postby Hadder » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:11 am

I love the scale-ability proposed here. I love the fact that I can do these missions solo. It's my jam!

Random Encounters

Could there be a random factor to these missions as well? Like a % chance of a set number of things happening?

For Example: In Guild Wars 2, one of their dungeons had this random thing happen from time to time (very rarely), where a giant troll would burst through a wall and engage the players. It was a random encounter that came out of nowhere.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THAT!

Alternate Routes

I would love to see missions have alternate routes to get where you need to go. Or maybe a random event blocks a route and you have to take an alternate route to find a way through.

Example: A ceiling collapses and you need to find another route around and possibly run into an unknown and unexpected boss or even an NPC ally.

Example 2: A barricade has been placed in a hallway to try to slow you down or stop you. You can find a way around taking another route or you can bash your way through the barricade (which might cause the ceiling to collapse blocking your way anyway).

Random Paths

I would love to see alternate paths to reach your objective so you're not going through the same mission over and over. For instance, loading in one time you end up going through the East Wing of a warehouse, next time it might be the West Wing, or North Wing or maybe you have to come in from the rooftop instead.

Invasions

I was hoping there would be some kind of invasion event that would happen from time to time where you could play "Invaded" versions of these missions as well while the global invasion was happening.
Hadder

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:37 am

Hadder

I just want to say that I love your posts

I love the random encounter idea
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Hadder

Postby Hadder » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:45 am

Hadder

I just want to say that I love your posts

I love the random encounter idea
Thanks so much! I do my best :D
Hadder

olepi

Postby olepi » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:48 am

One of the things I don't like about Elder Scrolls Online dungeons is that you get a random drop at the end. People who are trying to get the full set of "Super-Armor" have to run the same dungeon multiple times to get all the pieces. Sometimes people run the same dungeon dozens, or even hundreds of times.

I'm hoping that missions and dungeons in SoH don't use a random number generator to give you random drops, so that we would have to do the same thing multiple times to get the drop we want.

Another thing I really liked in Vanguard was the Diplomacy system. There was a whole set of quests and story lines that were parallel to the main quests. It is probably too aggressive to hope for a completely different system on top of SoH's regular quest system, at least at the beginning. But I'm hoping there will be more to do that just shoot-em-up quests.
2019: 42 years on the Net.

Hadder

Postby Hadder » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:59 am

One of the things I don't like about Elder Scrolls Online dungeons is that you get a random drop at the end. People who are trying to get the full set of "Super-Armor" have to run the same dungeon multiple times to get all the pieces. Sometimes people run the same dungeon dozens, or even hundreds of times.

I'm hoping that missions and dungeons in SoH don't use a random number generator to give you random drops, so that we would have to do the same thing multiple times to get the drop we want.

Another thing I really liked in Vanguard was the Diplomacy system. There was a whole set of quests and story lines that were parallel to the main quests. It is probably too aggressive to hope for a completely different system on top of SoH's regular quest system, at least at the beginning. But I'm hoping there will be more to do that just shoot-em-up quests.
What if we had a Reputation System, that wasn't super grindy, that gave you the option to choose the type of gear set drop you wanted per mission run and the system would detect what pieces you were missing from the set and give you a drop of one of multiple pieces you needed?

Also, certain missions might only drop certain gear set pieces. **ponders**

:shock:
Hadder

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:28 pm

SoH won't be using 'gear' per se, they will use an augment system similar to City of Heroes enhancement system. Especially early, there won't be a lot of OMGWTFBBQ augment sets. And Consultant has said there won't be very much stuff you can get in drops that you cannot make in the crafting system.

In other words, It will likely be well after game release, maybe 2-3 years , before you will see more than a meager amount of types of augments that are better than the stuff you can craft.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

mjplb

Postby mjplb » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:49 pm

First off, invasions, yes yes yes!!! Can they become dynamic also? So if we as heroes don't boot them off the ship they dig in? Become harder to dislodge?

Second off the random encounters/objectives would be amazing, I don't just want the, kill ten mobs/kill boss, I would love to see a uber boss roll through our like it was said before objectives that differ with the environment itself.

Third, the slider is impressive... Always liked this idea and I believe it could be opened up to have many different things involved with the slider, check a box for puzzles. Things along that idea
“So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.” Christopher Reeve

Return to “What's Cooking”