City Upgrades

Re: City Upgrades

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:19 am

Yes, we have a related issue with superspeed. Controlling your character'smovement requires skill (which is not the best thing to say about a travel power). For example, sharp 90 degree turns are not easy. We're fiddling with it, but we expect some good suggestions to emerge when we get to the point of Alpha testing superspeed.
well I guess it cannot be helped. I mean, how would one be able to experience the feeling of superspeed without needing good reflexes to use it? And of course it is also natural, that the time that needs is time, which makes manouverability a little bit more complicated. I would say that comes with the territory and is why superspeed is so much more fun.

Kind of reminds me of me using teleport as a travel power always teleporting up into the air and teleporting to the next spot before I would crash and therefore pretty much always staying in mid air while passing through a hazard zone. Did also use a bit of work to do that but it still was fun :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Von

Postby Von » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:10 pm

Believe it or not, I was actually thinking about this a couple of days ago with "The Flash." How does he make sharp 90 degree turns? How does he stop on a dime? It breaks the laws of physics. Must be something to do with the "Speed Force." (For the record...yes, I know it's comic book-dom and physics don't necessarily apply to fictional characters...but still something that crosses my mind on occasion.)

Teleport was my travel power of choice for my gunner toon. He didn't actually have any powers, so I attributed it technology. Combining Teleportation and Hover led to some truly magnificent shenanigans.
You can run, but you'll just die tired.

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:12 am

Believe it or not, I was actually thinking about this a couple of days ago with "The Flash." How does he make sharp 90 degree turns? How does he stop on a dime? It breaks the laws of physics. Must be something to do with the "Speed Force." (For the record...yes, I know it's comic book-dom and physics don't necessarily apply to fictional characters...but still something that crosses my mind on occasion.)

Teleport was my travel power of choice for my gunner toon. He didn't actually have any powers, so I attributed it technology. Combining Teleportation and Hover led to some truly magnificent shenanigans.
I do believe that :) I had an Assassin-Type Character in CoH which I made a teleporter - it just fits in my eyes :) - of course hovering is nice to add though I did get along anyway and won´t mind either way.

Well about the Flash :) - yep, was one of my favorites in young days since for me there where only to ways of existence - running or sleeping ;) (ok I admit sometimes I had to sit too - for example during dinner :) )
Anyway, I know what you mean and actually I agree with you about Physics and the only fitting explanation would be the Speed Force! I, by the way, don´t think that it is wrong to think about stuff like that from time to time. For one it simply can be fun thinking about it but beside that I don´t really think that an alternate universe should have scientific anarchy. I do write Fantasy and SciFi myself, so I have thought about that quite a lot myself. The thing for me is, that our laws of nature and physics do not necessarily need to work for a fictional universe. But for a story to have emotions and be understandable there still need to be some kind of rules and the reader needs to be able to understand them!
So, as to my favorite example, when there is a certain speel responsible for a Fireball than there need to be a Fireball when the Magician who brought him up the first time at the second time too and not maybe an iceblade. Basically said - same conditions must lead to the same outcome (whatever that is is up to the writer :) )
And therfore I believe any kind of scientific laws are fair game for the creative team - but they need to be defined somehow :) and with the Flash I think it kind of depends on the writer since I remember stories where he did like you mentioned pretty much turn on the spot and in other occasions it actually looked like when he needed to stop he actually had a certain distance which he kind of slided before actually standing motionless
Anyway I really am looking forward to it :D
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:27 am

Believe it or not, I was actually thinking about this a couple of days ago with "The Flash." How does he make sharp 90 degree turns? How does he stop on a dime? It breaks the laws of physics.
Resort to the old tried and tested method of explaining the unknown... magic.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:06 am

Actually the flash behaves the way he does because of the Speedforce, which has a lot of magic-like qualities. When the Speedforce envelops him, he moves at super speed even though he sees himself moving normally, and everyone else seems to be stopped completely. So if he can make a right hand 90 degree turn on a dime (actually a lot harder than it sounds) without the speedforce, he can do the same in the Speedforce.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Major Victory

Postby Major Victory » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:30 am

DCUO's superspeed is something of a plus and minus. You really do need very quick reflexes to use it for anything more than running along straightaways. Which makes badge/glowie hunting a pain when they are on top of buildings or cranes or hidden in nooks that are not ground level. And you can easily find yourself swinging around a light pole that you ran into while running. And climbing up walls and ceilings when trying to use your power indoors. Constantly overshooting while trying to get to these things and then falling once the superspeed holding you in place wears off.

But DANG! It looks so cool when you use your superspeed to run and leap off a tall building to get to the other skyscraper across the street!

And their superspeed power set up is pretty nice and actually useful in combat.

Hadder

Postby Hadder » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:50 am

I love the layering with overhangs and such. This does add lots of depth. Are railings and such around these overhangs going to be dressed up a bit to add more character?

I think if they are treated like a repeatable asset it might help reduce lag but still make it look even more interesting?

Like...

Hadder

Return to “What's Cooking”