The January 2019 Plan

Coyote

Re: The January 2019 Plan

Postby Coyote » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:42 am

Does this mean I'm never getting Phantom Army again? :cry:

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:21 am

We're considering a slight change to the plan for January. Maybe we should not put the energy into a recap video of the Login Tests...we were all there, after all. And some great livestreams exist.

Maybe we should take the same manhours and make a video of something new? Four or five of us have been thnking that we might introduce another travel power soon -- superspeed, and use that video to point out a couple of things we've done to make the non-combat animations inbteresting.

Later in the year we want to show what combat animation improvements that have been requested quite a few times. We do listen! And we're making some moves on that front too.

None of this slows down our work on the CCT Beta...we have separate initiatives going on at the same time.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:33 am

I would love to see super speed in action! The flight animations look very good, can't wait to see how those wannabe Flashes move around!

Speaking of Super Speed...
One thing the CoH devs dropped the ball on with SS was the pool powers beyond travelling. IMO Hasten should have been a passive power that was part of the Fitness pool (combining Swift and Hurdle into a single power called Athleticism that did nothing until you put a Run, Jump or Fly enhancement in it), and Hasten should have been replaced by a power giving a footspeed boost and a small defense bonus that was similar to the defense bonus in Combat Jumping and Hover.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:40 am

There is so much stuff that could be done with superspeed. One of things I’d love to see you as you slide the power correctly you get that lightning bolt that the flash does on the WB. So enter into superspeed and stop right before a villain and you do lightning damage to your target(s)

Also running on water, and up buildings
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

LaughingLandry

Postby LaughingLandry » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:00 pm

Yeah! show a new travel power. I personally don't always need to see combat in every video. You've made such a gorgeous first level that it would great to see it from the angle of a new travel power. I'm personally excited about teleport. curious how you'll decide to implement it and how it's animations look in game.

Odee

Postby Odee » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:48 pm

There is so much stuff that could be done with superspeed. One of things I’d love to see you as you slide the power correctly you get that lightning bolt that the flash does on the WB. So enter into superspeed and stop right before a villain and you do lightning damage to your target(s)

Also running on water, and up buildings
I am with you, and Consultant on this. New Travel Powers are always interesting and attention getters. 👍🤜🤛x💯
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Itlandm

Postby Itlandm » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:54 pm

I am mildly curious as to whether travel powers will be just that, a separate group of their own, like in Champions Online, or some among several other "pool powers" that are available regardless of archetype? In theory, for instance Superspeed could be expanded into a whole powerset, or it could be just the movement power, or something in between like in CoH.

In either case (or even if you haven't decided yet, but I suspect you have) I would certainly want to see the travel power demonstrated in a video, if it doesn't take too much time. (I assume you don't make videos with super speed in real life...)

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:00 am

LOL, if only I could do superspeed in real life...I feel I would be a lot faster working off those Holiday pounds that appeared recently...

So yes superspeed will be an in-game video.

We have not decided if superspeed will be part of a separate powerset. First we want to get it out there and let the community react, and offer suggestions. Just for example, we were discussing this morning if superspeed is ultra-fast running (which would imply longer strides) or something altogether different. By different, you could look at the Flash for example, where is seems he is tilted forward at a 20-30 degree tilt from vertical and at the same time his strides seem small, but there are a jillion per second.

We have a plan now, and we're going to see how the animations look. But one thing we will not be doing is we will not be having a character run and using the location powers in the Editor to make characters cover more ground while running normally. That would be... bad.

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:50 am

Yay!

Odee

Postby Odee » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:47 am

Does this plan have a sidebar for access to the Character Creator? (fidgets nervously while looking at the Ban-Hammer)

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:02 am

Odee, I want to make sure I understand the question. Are you asking if we will have a CCT Beta this year?

If that is the question then the answer is yes, we're planning for that to be the next community event. superspeed would be a part of the next video. and the next newsletter (which probably come before both of these) is likely to be on the engine ugrade and what that means for our player-community in-game.

But did I mis-understand your question? Are you headed in another direction with your question?

Odee

Postby Odee » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:18 am

Odee, I want to make sure I understand the question. Are you asking if we will have a CCT Beta this year?

If that is the question then the answer is yes, we're planning for that to be the next community event. superspeed would be a part of the next video. and the next newsletter (which probably come before both of these) is likely to be on the engine ugrade and what that means for our player-community in-game.

But did I mis-understand your question? Are you headed in another direction with your question?
You read my question spot on, sir. 🤜🤛 Thanks for the response, and info. 👍👍

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:33 am

Just to give a quick update,right now we are working on another of things:

1. We have the engine upgrade done, but we still need to push it and reset our artists on the new version. That's the last step.

2. We've begun harvesting the free stuff that Epic has provided from Pargon, beginning with hair models. Each model takes time and skilled effort to bring into our game and a good deal of technical adjustment. These assets are not plug and play for us. But they are beautiful, and they use the newest hair shader from Epic (our other hair models use an old Epic shader that is no longer current).

3. We're looking at the FX on superspeed and making some fiddles. It does not looke exactly like we think it should, and we want to get it right, at least as we see it, before showing it to the community.

The bottom line is that we'll likely have the newsletter on the engine upgrade out today or tomorrow, and the superspeed video next week. At least that's the way it looks now.

Odee

Postby Odee » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:27 am

1. We have the engine upgrade done, but we still need to push it and reset our artists on the new version. That's the last step.

2. We've begun harvesting the free stuff that Epic has provided from Pargon, beginning with hair models. Each model takes time and skilled effort to bring into our game and a good deal of technical adjustment. These assets are not plug and play for us. But they are beautiful, and they use the newest hair shader from Epic (our other hair models use an old Epic shader that is no longer current).

3. We're looking at the FX on superspeed and making some fiddles. It does not looke exactly like we think it should, and we want to get it right, at least as we see it, before showing it to the community.

The bottom line is that we'll likely have the newsletter on the engine upgrade out today or tomorrow, and the superspeed video next week. At least that's the way it looks now.
1. Always Great to hear!
2. Fantastic asset to have!
3. Jawesomeriffic! Will there be a debris trail for Super Speed that follows the character a short distance, like paper, and other small litter things?

Galactus55

Postby Galactus55 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:26 pm

Awesome Consultant nice work DEVs
We are watching & waiting
May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

Return to “What's Cooking”