Restorative Nanites Video Coming Out Today

Consultant

Restorative Nanites Video Coming Out Today

Postby Consultant » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:40 am

Today is November 30th. As I recall, this is the 6th anniversary of the closure of City of Heroes, a game that many of us played and loved. This date also marks 2 years since the launch of the SoH website, and our announcement that are making a new superhero game, set in space. We've come a long way.

In part as a tribute to COH, we are releasing a new video today showcasing a healing and buffing powerset. Some might be asking why we chose such an unusual topic for an anniversary video. The answer is that in COH there were numerous, powerful and fun character classes and powersets that were not focused on getting the one, best, DPS chain. We think we should celebrate that wonderful idea, and this powerset helps us do it.

It's actually kind of tricky to showcase a support powerset. No enemies die, and the FX is a bit less flashy. But we are gambling that a community with so much COH experience will "get it" when we show non-damage powers. Very few games in development ever showcase this kind of content.

Anyway, we hope you enjoy the video. This powerset once again shares with all of you the steady (sometimes subtle) improvements we are making in terms of building a great, and complex, new MMORPG. A new home for all of us.

Golden Ace

Re: Restorative Nanites Video Coming Out Today

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:06 am

Well I guess I am going to be less productive at work today. :/

:D
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:51 am

Looking forward to seeing that! The controller was one of my favourite archetypes, second only to my peacebringer.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Inkaris

Postby Inkaris » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:38 am

Thank you so much for this new awesome video.
This new powerset is a good combination for a DD/Healer. That looks like a build for me.

But my favourite archetype is still the controller. ;)

4d4plus4is4d8

Postby 4d4plus4is4d8 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:45 am

I like the fact that the power-set looks subdued, but I'd personally love it if it had more of a sci-fi flair to it. It looks a little generic right now, and I always kind of disliked the way Anarchy Online's nano-powers were just magic effects thinly disguised by a sci-fi descriptive text that basically said "What you're seeing looks exactly like magic, but it's actually nanobots!"

So anything that could make nano-based powers look sciency would be, for me, a big immersion boost.

I'm trying to think of some things that might be examples of what I mean...

• Maybe you take out a little portable landing pad and launch a small flying pod, like a white teardrop with a long sci-fi comet tail, that disperses into tiny flickering particles which envelope the target, penetrating into their skin. In other words, the flying pod is actually millions of nanobots that separate once they reach their destination.
  • Or maybe you pull out a tablet and punch some buttons, and a slot on the end opens up and tiny little dust-particle sized nanobots come flying out from there in a streaming cloud to engulf the target.
  • Or maybe you pull out a little sci-fi looking gun and program a type of bullet by pushing buttons on a 3D holographic menu that pops up over it, then you fire a projectile that explodes into a cloud of nanobots.
Just some random thoughts, whatever you end up going with will be awesome I'm sure :)

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:02 pm

So much potential for that power set or rather the popcorn effects

I absolutely love the regen aura, and the nanite cloud.

They would make wonderful energy Mele effects.

Then there is the detox cloud. First thing I thought was some sort of magic casting with that.

Very cool video over all, loved it

thank you
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:53 pm

Excellent vid ...
now for the part " I " need to say ... the FX's need to be more pronounced for the effects you got now would get lost in the Fire ball or Dark effects presents of shown ...
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:42 pm

I really like the visual effects - the up/down of the green healing circles has great rhythm. But would you consider removing the green + symbols when a character is healed? I think they're unnecessary and break a bit of the treasured immersion. I think the bright green is really enough to indicate healing :)

Overall though, fantastic showcase video, like all your others! Thanks.

Actjcksn

Postby Actjcksn » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:23 pm

Awesome video. I'm excited to try out the power set.
(aka GregoryKC66)
3) Expect the Plan to go off the rails...
4) ...Throw away the Plan

pearbear

Postby pearbear » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:11 pm

I know the video is primarily for the powerset but I have to extend my gratitude to and appreciation of the animators! The smooth animations (including the lower body movement and steps in and out of poses) were incredible and the character model looks great! The whole video gave me major super hero vibes. Great work!!
Last edited by pearbear on Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pearbear

Postby pearbear » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:14 pm

I really like the visual effects - the up/down of the green healing circles has great rhythm. But would you consider removing the green + symbols when a character is healed? I think they're unnecessary and break a bit of the treasured immersion. I think the bright green is really enough to indicate healing :)

I think the effect is actually really well suited for the tech/triage concept - so it works well. I'm sure more fantasy themed powerset will have different symbols.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:26 am

In some of the comments here and on YouTube, I detect that not everyone realizes the basic structure we are using -- every character has two powersets. One powerset is for attacking and one is for something else. The "something else" powersets rarely get described or shown, but we decided to do it with Restorative Nanites.

We're perfectly willing to dial up the FX, but let's also recall that the FX need to be usable in team play. If ten heroes are fighting ten enemies in a room (and the enemies get powers too), we don't want our screens going white whenever all 20 fire off their powers at once.

For those thinking that every powerset should be like Fiery Blast, let's just hold for a moment. It all needs to work together. Take a moment and look at YouTube for some old COH combat video. Those powers were much more muted in FX than what we are showing today, in many cases.

That's not to say we won't dial them up -- we likely will. Maybe we should try to create some code to dial them down on teams and dial them up in single play? But that would take some time...and it might create an incentive for just solo play.

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:11 pm

personally, I feel anything titled "aura" should be centered coming off the character who casts it, not targetable aoe
-maybe be a toggle that stays on until you cancel or run out of stamina. It's not really an "aura" if it can be targetted into empty space.
Other than that, it looks amazing

I guess, by the dictionary definition of aura, it can come from empty space-- but if we go off that, it has to be widely spread "pervasive", not a small target area.
a distinctive and pervasive quality or character; air; atmosphere: an aura of respectability; an aura of friendliness.
a subtly pervasive quality or atmosphere seen as emanating from a person, place, or thing.

I think it's been widely accepted in the gaming world that an "aura" is centered on the character casting it, and is either always on or toggle, or at least a long lasting affect. I can't think of an "aura" titled power in any game I've played so far that doesn't match this, but I haven't played them all.
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:20 pm

I think the effect is actually really well suited for the tech/triage concept - so it works well. I'm sure more fantasy themed powerset will have different symbols.

I meant to remove symbols like a + entirely. Why are they there? We know we're being healed, and in "real life", little plus symbols wouldnt be appearing next to someone while they were being restored by nanites. Unless we want to say they would be...
This is a subtle thing, but I'm not sure why they'd be kept in.

Actjcksn

Postby Actjcksn » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:21 pm

Why not call the "Restorative Aura", "Restorative Cloud" instead? The rest of the aoe powers in this set are clouds. Also, the pluses could be circular, diamond shaped or octagonal.
(aka GregoryKC66)
3) Expect the Plan to go off the rails...
4) ...Throw away the Plan

Return to “What's Cooking”