September - October Milestones

Consultant

September - October Milestones

Postby Consultant » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:05 am

The thread from July seems too old, so I thought I'd start with a new one. Here's what is happening right now, and anticipated for the next 6 weeks or so:

1. We just launched the newsletter showing cars and civilians. Internally we refer to this as the immersion program (and we include the trains in that term, which are coming along but not done). Getting these features right is a very large milestone in development, as it results from, and affects, virtually everything else. Developing MMOs that can show NPCs and cars, in-game, are really capable of jumping to actual MMO status. And it is immersive -- we're working on a video right now to show this very thing.

2. We've added another highly skilled senior artist, but lost one as well, and had a third shift to part time. This is a steady trend for us because we see the same thing happen again and again -- larger studios see what we are doing and recruit our devs to work for them. We manage around this trend. Right now we are speaking to four potential new devs to add to the team. All of the key slots are filled.

3. As soon as we finish the video on the cars and civilians, we're going to get to work on a day/ night video. We're still fiddling a little bit with our day/ night cycle and the lighting in it. That will continue. But we have the code completely stable and we like the look -- also the code lays very lightly on the game, so that's a plus. The video will show where we are, and we think this will enable a lot of feedback from all of you.

4. We're working toward a login test. It was delayed by the sudden appearance of a tech problem -- NVidia cards giving us much poorer performance than ATI cards suddenly, in internal testing. That had us puzzled, but we solved it a few days ago. So we just need to grapple with creating enough characters, and we'll be off to the races, scheduling a login test. Sorry about the delay.

5. We've been coding and testing elements of the Mission System, beginning with Invasions. As a result, we think the time between the Login Test and the next event, an Invasion Test can be short, but we cannot predict a particular duration, like (for example) three weeks, because we don't know what going to happen during the Login Test -- if something blows up then we will need more time. But whatever happens, you'll all see it for good or ill, and we'll be open about it. Having said that, well, we think it is going to work fine :)

Golden Ace

Re: September - October Milestones

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:19 am

Thank you

Awesome as always
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:03 pm

Can't wait! I'll be home no matter when the log in test is, I can log in a pretty nice desktop and a rattlebones laptop. I may need to answer customer calls while doing so, but if it's just log in, no problems!
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:15 pm

It's going to be login, and no combat, but people may be chatting and having a short social moment. As we get everyone in, we're going to try to capture some good video and also a few screengrabs with all of us (we hope).

So you should be able to talk on the phone if you can give a bit of attention to the screen now and again. but if you are busy, no one will mind.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:06 pm

It's going to be login, and no combat, but people may be chatting and having a short social moment. As we get everyone in, we're going to try to capture some good video and also a few screengrabs with all of us (we hope).

So you should be able to talk on the phone if you can give a bit of attention to the screen now and again. but if you are busy, no one will mind.
Are there any dance emotes ready? Make a gif with 100 players dancing the Boogie Woogie! Or better yet the robot!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:08 pm

Are there any dance emotes ready? Make a gif with 100 players dancing the Boogie Woogie! Or better yet the robot!
Seconded!
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:35 am

OK, I'll add that to the list. I'm not sure when, but we can try it.

olepi

Postby olepi » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:59 pm

Isn't it time for an account test too? Where we can input our credit card info, and start playing the game?

:mrgreen:
2019: 42 years on the Net.

Itlandm

Postby Itlandm » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:31 pm

The turnover thing was a bit disturbing. I am glad you can manage it, but what if a whole bunch of you guys get hired elsewhere just before release? Or even just after release? I hope there is at least some core of people who are dedicated to this on an "ideological" basis so to speak, and have the financial independence to stick with it. There is only a tiny bit I can do about the last part, unfortunately, but hopefully there are many others who are able to pitch in. I still believe in you guys, you have certainly done an impressive job so far. I hope it pays off richly, both emotionally and eventually also financially.

twicebitten

Postby twicebitten » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:48 pm

5. We've been coding and testing elements of the Mission System, beginning with Invasions. As a result, we think the time between the Login Test and the next event, an Invasion Test can be short, but we cannot predict a particular duration, like (for example) three weeks, because we don't know what going to happen during the Login Test -- if something blows up then we will need more time. But whatever happens, you'll all see it for good or ill, and we'll be open about it. Having said that, well, we think it is going to work fine :)
This is exciting news, I look forward to hearing more details as it gets closer.

Really getting to see some of the game feel and fighting mechanics in action :mrgreen:

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:46 am

Itlandm, the core team building Ship of Heroes is solid. We are almost all volunteers, and we are not going anywhere. :)

Olepi, I can only say that I wish it was time for an account test. But it will come.

We're charging forward. But MMOs are big projects. :)

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:39 am

great as usual thanks a lot for keeping us informed
I feel that being very motivational :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Crowe

Postby Crowe » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:34 pm

Good stuff. Thanks for the update!
I was sorry to read about the turnover but I understand the situation. And I'm sure there will be more before it's all over.

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:55 am

Thanks Consultant!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:30 am

On item 1, we're going to publish the video of NPC civilians and cars later this morning. As with lots of our videos, it shows steady progress, but is not a revolution or anything.

The big point is that we're making progress. And as you'll see , we're working on and adding to what we had in the past. Our videos show steady progress in making a fun game, and not a series of unrelated snapshots. We're kind of pleased about that.

Return to “What's Cooking”