What's an Alpha?

Consultant

What's an Alpha?

Postby Consultant » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:37 am

I thought I should let you all now that we'll publish a newsletter today on our views on stress testing, alphas, betas, etc.

There are some cool screen captures, including a couple from some of the automated testing we do to get ready for things like the login test. Automated testing is critical -- if those don't work, we know we are in trouble. But they are not sufficient -- automated tests can work and real tests with the community can fail. Many other dev teams have had this experience. As a result, we don't discuss the automated tests too much, but we grabbed a couple of screenshots from two of the latest ones just to show you guys what is happening behind the scenes.

Shots like these tell us that a lot of things work -- but maybe not as well as we would like them to work, or not all of the time. And they also serve to give us ideas about what to improve, prior to each alpha.

But there has been a lot of interested expressed in these forums about how the sausage is made, so there's a the visual equivalent of a sausage sampler at the end.

Publishing, probably later this afternoon, EST.

Golden Ace

Re: What's an Alpha?

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:55 am

Thank you. I am looking forward to reading it and seeing the screen shots.

as always you and your team are awesome!

Sausage? :? but bratwurst is far superior. :(

:D
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:53 pm

You heard it here first... The FHS Justice is a sausage :shock:

Looking forward to seeing the newsletter though, it's been a lean month.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

alltrueist

Postby alltrueist » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:54 pm

This is a nice roadmap that I can get behind.

I like that you took time to define how you're using those terms. They mean so many different things to different people. Smart.

Stopman

Postby Stopman » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:48 pm

Yay! Just like most MMOs: Sausage Party! :shock:

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:02 pm

Yay! Just like most MMOs: Sausage Party! :shock:
lol

I'm thinking Consultant is having second thoughts on his choice of words. :lol: :lol:
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:10 am

I love sausages :)
And you can believe - nobody does them better then here at our place :D and here at home we got the biggest number of choices too ;)
(we got that one at our marketplace - a real one not virtual like at Amazon ;) - he definitely got the best there are :) - my mom would love me to send here some but since american laws forbid sending any food, well I eat them myself ;) )
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:31 am

Did you guys see the bottom two pictures on the newsletter?

That is us, coding, and adding the MMO into our MMORPG! :)

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:04 am

Did you guys see the bottom two pictures on the newsletter?

That is us, coding, and adding the MMO into our MMORPG! :)
I can´t see the sausages :(

Ok enough fun ;) I think it is encouraging seeing the progress :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

olepi

Postby olepi » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:17 am

In old-timey software development, there are three test phases:

Unit Test
Each module is tested independently. So you might test storing something in a database, or logging in, etc. The program isn't really assembled, each piece is tested independently.

Alpha Test
For the first time, all the pieces are assembled and the whole program can be executed. It is not expected to really work.

Beta Test
The whole program is assembled, and it has passed the unit tests and bugs found in the alpha are fixed. It is expected to work, mostly. Most gamers seem to think that beta test is for seeing if you like the game, and they suggest changes to the game. This is not the purpose of a beta test.

It's a huge step to put the game together and start alpha testing!
2019: 42 years on the Net.

Blue Yankee

Postby Blue Yankee » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:39 pm

I thought I should let you all now that we'll publish a newsletter today on our views on stress testing, alphas, betas, etc.

There are some cool screen captures, including a couple from some of the automated testing we do to get ready for things like the login test. Automated testing is critical -- if those don't work, we know we are in trouble. But they are not sufficient -- automated tests can work and real tests with the community can fail. Many other dev teams have had this experience. As a result, we don't discuss the automated tests too much, but we grabbed a couple of screenshots from two of the latest ones just to show you guys what is happening behind the scenes.
Will you have AI simulate players? Where the AI clicks on doors, exits missions, buys items in the market, accept missions, form groups, etc.
This may be a good way to find bugs and exploits.

Blue Yankee

Postby Blue Yankee » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:54 pm

With regard to automated testing:

I think it would be cool to see the results of randomly generating a team of characters, then have a neural network control the characters and optimize a mission run. I would like to see how the computer plays differently from humans.

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:51 am

With regard to automated testing:

I think it would be cool to see the results of randomly generating a team of characters, then have a neural network control the characters and optimize a mission run. I would like to see how the computer plays differently from humans.
interesting thought for nice fun videos :)

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:48 am

LOL, the first neural net testing we want to try will be using the biological brains of our many community members. No computer is going to beat all of you for finding problems.

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:52 am

You know, behind me I have that Calvin and Hobbes Cartoon at my office with following dialogue:

Calvin: I read Scientists are trying to make computers that think.
Isn´t that weird? If Computers can think, what will people be better at than machines
Hobbes: Irrational Behaviour!
Calvin: Maybe they´ll invent a psychotic computer.

So much for that :)

Return to “What's Cooking”