Early May Update

Consultant

Early May Update

Postby Consultant » Mon May 07, 2018 7:56 am

I think the community likes to hear what we're doing and what is going on, so I thought I should try to make that happen. Here is my stream-of-consciousness update:

1. We've installed a system called TrueSKY, which we are still evaluating and perfecting. It has a few bugs for our application, and we've spent far more time getting it just the way we want it to be, but we think we have it now, except for one issue involving shadows. For the moment, we are planning to use this tool as our method delivering the day/ night cycle for Apotheosis City. It could also give us some other features like cool surface water and even weather effects, but right now we have not even tested those, as they are not on our critical path. We do want to get a working day/ night cycle going and TrueSKY seems to work really well, now that we have it built into our version of Unreal Engine 4. Our artists like the look of the lighting, and they think it makes the FX from your superpowers look even better.

2. We've installed and are using PopcprnFX, which is a really excellent toolkit that we use for power FX and possibly for some other stuff too. We have built PopcornFX into our version of the engine as well. We have our first powerset, Healing Nanites, built in this tool, and we are working on the animations that go with those powers. But we still need to quality check this, as well to get everything hooked into the engine (since this too is a new tool). The PopcornFX guys have been helping us, giving us advice and they are just really good to work with in every respect.

3. We've had an issue with our master animation blueprint, resulting from some code improvements we wrote recently, and this has caused us to stop and re-think if an improvement to this part of our codebase is warranted. A change here will definitely impact the overall schedule of the game, but it would also be a quality improvement. Right now we're thinking about this because one of the principal things that slows down a UE4 MMO is switching back and forth between C++ and BPs, and this is not something we can change, it's a facet of the engine design. So we are evaluating the pros and cons of the animation BP we have now versus an upgrade. But with our BP issue, we are temporarily unable to produce videos. Hopefully this will be resolved shortly.

4. We've had some personnel issues (which I won't describe) that have slowed us down a bit, and we think we are recovering, and coming back to a better situation right now. On a small team, when people have real life issues, delays do happen. But we have added a couple of great new guys to the team that you can see on the website, and we have actually added a couple more who are just joining us now. It's our habit to announce new devs after they have been with us for a few months and when we all agree they want to be listed.

5.We're working steadily toward a login test, which is a very modest name for a pretty significant event. If it works out well, we will have demonstrated that we can put the MMO into our MMORPG. :) I'll say in advance that when we do the test and publish a newsletter about it, the technical notes will definitely be worth reading. Once we think we have a date for the login test, we will put a sign-up sheet in the forums to see who wants to test with us. Hopefully we won't have trouble getting a couple of dozen testers. If we get an enormous number of volunteers, we may run the test twice just to let people login and walk around under the Arch. But we will all be limited to the Arch area.

6. This morning I saw the latest round of polishing and improvements for the Arch Park area of the city, from our environmental team. I thought it looked outstanding, and since today was the internal schedule milestone for that piece of the login test, that was quite heartening. As you all know, it can literally take years from the point in time when the first video tours of a new game level occur, to when that level is ready to have players walk around in it. That's normal in a game. We did our first tours of Apotheosis City in December of 2016, so we are getting closer by the month.

I've left out a dozen interesting things...but this post is already too long. Overall, we're doing great! And the next Alpha activity is the login test, so stay tuned -- it's either May or June.

Galactus55

Re: Early May Update

Postby Galactus55 » Mon May 07, 2018 8:08 am

Once we think we have a date for the login test, we will put a sign-up sheet in the forums to see who wants to test with us. Hopefully we won't have trouble getting a couple of dozen testers. If we get an enormous number of volunteers, we may run the test twice just to let people login and walk around under the Arch. But we will all be limited to the Arch area.
Sign Me Up!!! :D
A quick question though will be using the CCT make a Char. to log in or will we be logging on with predefined alts?
Last edited by Galactus55 on Mon May 07, 2018 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon May 07, 2018 8:10 am

Good morning

Thank you for the outstanding update

From what I’ve seen of true sky it looks like clouds are actually in the atmosphere not painted on the ceiling. If this is so will we be able to fly through clouds?
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon May 07, 2018 9:32 am

good question from Galactus: Will we be able to create a character for the login test - and if so, will it be possible to keep it as a starter :roll: ?
In any way I am really looking forward to it :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon May 07, 2018 10:23 am

Sorry, no we will be using pre-determined characters so we can test another element of the game, the mixing and matching of costume pieces in a structured manner.

I did try to warn that this would be a bit of boring test to participate in, but we really need to do it, and see what happens, and to collect the results and sort them by computer capability.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Mon May 07, 2018 12:40 pm

Thanks for the update. Will be interesting to see how people keep themselves amused standing around under the arch ;)
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
Super Heroes in Space, a blog about heroes, space and huge ships!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon May 07, 2018 12:54 pm

Thanks for the update. Will be interesting to see how people keep themselves amused standing around under the arch ;)
Screenshots. 😄
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

PowerAce

Postby PowerAce » Mon May 07, 2018 4:11 pm

Screenshots. 😄
Yep, screenies FTW!

And thank you for the update on what’s cooking, Consultant!
It doesn't matter where we come from, what we've done or suffered, or even if we make a difference. We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Mon May 07, 2018 5:51 pm

Just a note to the DEV's that even showing us something .. and its not that spectacular vid ... that is not the issue for me ...

showing a power set vid that has problems ... and then later showing the fixed power set ... this shows me that you the DEV's are working hard... coming from a inventors mind set " a failure is just another way it doesn't work "

TY DEV's for telling us what is not working that you are fixing ... that to me is success ... :lol:
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon May 07, 2018 9:38 pm

Yes, I absolutely love the honest, transparent updates. Not just your typical "Uh, everything's under control. Situation normal. Uh, we had a slight power set malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here, now, thank you. How are you?"

GregoryKC66

Postby GregoryKC66 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:31 am

Thanks for the update and the honesty. I love hearing the good, the bad, and the ugly. Keep up the great work and I'm looking forward to the login test signup!
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, but the one most responsive to change." - Charles Darwin

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Tue May 08, 2018 2:49 am

Thank you, Consultant! Excellent update.

Are you planning to redo any of your 'finished' powersets using Popcorn? Out of curiosity. And that q may expose my ignorance.

Supertwad

Postby Supertwad » Tue May 08, 2018 6:08 am

so how can we participate in the testing of this game? I am a coh/cov player who some of you who played might know me as Big red flamer XD
this game looks interesting to me from the concept of COH and i would really like to download and participate in the tests of this game.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Tue May 08, 2018 6:20 am

so how can we participate in the testing of this game? I am a coh/cov player who some of you who played might know me as Big red flamer XD
this game looks interesting to me from the concept of COH and i would really like to download and participate in the tests of this game.
It's very early days yet. The game is still pre-alpha. They do have occasional runs where they ask players to download a client to help them gather information and test things but that's not playing the game as such. When an opportunity like that comes along there'll be plenty of warning. We're expecting a login test pretty soon which will entail us logging in and standing around chatting, that's all it'll be - a login test, no playing... not yet anyway.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
Super Heroes in Space, a blog about heroes, space and huge ships!

Galactus55

Postby Galactus55 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:04 am

Sorry, no we will be using pre-determined characters so we can test another element of the game, the mixing and matching of costume pieces in a structured manner.

I did try to warn that this would be a bit of boring test to participate in, but we really need to do it, and see what happens, and to collect the results and sort them by computer capability.
Consultant It's All Good.
Pre-determined chars are good 5 or 10 Green pants Man/Men. Or maybe you can throw in the Chars built from the CCT test.

Boring No way :D anything will be awesome!!!

Also as to sorting them by computer capability when I was in the CCT test. I ran it across all sorts and types of computers. As far as I could test Win 8 Win 8.1 Win 10 no problems but if are running Win7 32 bit version does not work it has to be Win 7 64bit to work. ;)

Last edited by Galactus55 on Tue May 08, 2018 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

Return to “What's Cooking”