Worm and Other Superhero Fiction

JestersGhost

Worm and Other Superhero Fiction

Postby JestersGhost » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:23 am

I imagine by now most people with an interesting reading and superheroics have encountered Worm, but if you haven't consider yourself introduced. I've read a *lot*, and I have to say this story is a very strong contender for the best story I've ever read.

It is very long (~20+ standard novels), yet consistently manages to one-up itself in terms of scale and moments-of-awesomeness throughout, and build to an appropriately epic and satisfying conclusion even after that amount of time. It genuinely gets an ending it deserves. The lead character is brilliant in both senses, both how she's written and what she does. Her power may seem lackluster at first, but many many powerful characters underestimate her creativeness and ability to think on her feet. Some live to regret it.

For those of us who have read it, are there any other superhero stories you'd recommend (print or online)? I'm currently enjoying Curveball, which matches Worm in quality of writing, but doesn't look to be quite as big in scope (though I'm not sure anything else could be, and there's a lot more to this story than you might expect at first). Definitely worth a look.

Any other recommendations?
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Lazarus

Re: Worm and Other Superhero Fiction

Postby Lazarus » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:35 pm

I'm rather fond of the Velveteen series by Seanan McGuire. I'm not sure anyone would consider it the best hero story ever, but it does a nice job answering what happens to heroes that aren't as 'popular' as Superman/Wonder Woman/Batman clones.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:16 am

Thank you muchly. Looks interesting from the initial description. Added to my list :D

brawlizard

Postby brawlizard » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:49 am

Been reading this fulltime since you posted it. Man, it is good. A lot of very gritty work.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:40 pm

Not a problem. Everyone should read Worm. It really is the most impressive literary achievement I've had the pleasure to read :D

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”