Wowee

GladDog

Wowee

Postby GladDog » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:31 am

39 years ago today, I was discharged from the US Marine Corps. Why are those memories of that time so vivid to me? I liked my time in the Marines, but I guess the stuff I learned and did just made an impact...
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Golden Ace

Re: Wowee

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:44 am

Congratulations and happy Anniversary GD.

Thank you for your service.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:18 pm

I feel like people in the military tend to be some of the most knowledgeable, modest, level-headed people around. They tend to observe things in a different light, compared to others.

Example, for any sports fans out there, the military was caught between NFL protest. Many non-service members would speak for them. Essentially saying, a protest during the anthem was disrespectful, but their take was, "We fight for people to have a voice, and their ability to protest."

I was like "Wowee..." Seriously, I didn't really look at it that way. Perhaps because I am not a service member. I just felt like that was an amazing take; patriotism cannot, and shall not be forced. That is when I gained a new level of respect for service members. To fight for everyone, even those you may not agree with.

My father was in the army.

Von

Postby Von » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:02 pm

Semper Fi.

October will mark 20 years since I was discharged from the Army. Good memories as well some not-so-good.
You can run, but you'll just die tired.

Red5

Postby Red5 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:17 pm

39 years ago today, I was discharged from the US Marine Corps. Why are those memories of that time so vivid to me? I liked my time in the Marines, but I guess the stuff I learned and did just made an impact...
I have thought on this and thought on this. I can't answer much better than this (and I am not sure it applies):

For me when I joined (Army) I was young and had no real life experience. I was a fast learner, hard working, and to some degree disciplined..but service taught me how to be more so.

Like how to push beyond my perceptions of what is possible. How to stay alert and alive ;) How to navigate impossibles, by identifying what the problem(s) are and then coming up with solutions to over come them and then to execute the best of those solutions.

But it comes back to being young for me... I went to Germany and stayed there off and on for 8 years (meaning I did state side tour in between). This afforded me the opportunity to travel to other countries and soak up culture. Kinda see what we have as American and see what we lack.

Did I mention I was young lol. I did a lot of growing up while in service. I was no longer the 18 year old boy, but became the man whilst in service.

I think for those reason when I reflect on it fondly.
...reporting in.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:40 pm

Well stated Red. I wouldn't be who I am today without my 10 years of Active Duty.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”