Are consoles the way to go for MMO?

A1fighter

Are consoles the way to go for MMO?

Postby A1fighter » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:04 pm

Dauntless reached 6 million players once they branched out to consoles.
https://www.player.one/dauntless-reache ... orm-126790

DCUO is making the move to Switch this summer.

BDO has made that move to consoles.

STO

ESO

TERA

Destiny

Many of the top mmo are on consoles (No, DCUO is not a top mmo, far from it lol). I feel like these moves are smart. Obviously, bigger bodies of water have more variety of fish to catch, compared to a small pond. That means you have an opportunity to hook more fish. Not only that, there is enough fish for everyone compared to being in one crowded pond.

The PC is very crowded for MMOs. Consoles such as the Switch are mmo starved. I feel like someone will be the flagship Switch MMO, and whomever does it will hit the jackpot.

I tried to make the leap back to consoles, but it is not my thing anymore. However, many do not share my sentiments.

Consultant

Re: Are consoles the way to go for MMO?

Postby Consultant » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:38 pm

Do these consoles allow for a subscription pay model?

I'm thinking they may not.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:41 pm

You can go with a subscription model, at least on the Xbox.

I have played several games on my Xbox, including STO, DCUO, and ESO.

STO sucks for the console. DCUO does very well on a console. ESO is OK on a console, not great, but not horribly worse than on a PC, like STO is.

What is the difference?

Star Trek Online was designed for the PC. It works best with multiple taskbars and tab targeting. The port to Xbox took so many choices away, that it is hard to play to its full potential. Combine that with very poor XYZ motion control, and you can see that the only thing STO has going for it on a console is that it is Trek.

DC Universe Online was designed for the console, and was ported to the PC. The PC version released about 4 days after the PS3 version. This game works extremely well on a console. It is not bad on the PC, but the number of choices they took away because of its console roots is very noticeable. The number one complaint for the PC version from release to this day is that you cannot use multiple taskbars.

Elder Scrolls Online was designed to be console ready, even though it was released on the PC and did not release a console version for 4 years. The game had matured enough towards PC players that the gameplay on a console is a little tough, although its not bad. I give it a good+ on the PC and a meh+ on the console.

So IMO, designing a game full blown for the PC is going to make it very tough to make a fun console version. And vice versa. Once this game releases on the PC and has a chance to mature, a console version may very well be a good choice. But it will have to be a completely different game as far as basics go. Lore can stay the same, but combat, party integration, etc will have to be different. STO just made a hand wave effort to become console ready, and it shows. If SoH ever decides to go console, the basic play style needs to be completely revamped to keep with HGC's demand for a quality product.

That said, since SoH is going to release after Microsoft is ending support for Win7, if the game is designed to run exclusively on Win10, then porting the game to Xbox will be a breeze. Changing everything to make the game fun will be a lot of work, but porting the game to Xbox will be pretty easy - at least from a coder's POV.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Apparition

Postby Apparition » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:47 pm

Yeah. Games are either designed for consoles and ported to PC, or designed for PC and ported to consoles. Both are terrible on their non-native platforms. Best to just stick with one, hopefully PC.

olepi

Postby olepi » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:50 am

The actual CPU and graphics aren't that different. See:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/we-bu ... 0-6443491/

The bigger problem as I see it is the user interface. Do you have a mouse that can click on any part of the screen? Do you have a keyboard to enter lots of commands?

If you're on console, the answer is no. So you're back to some kind of scrolling mechanism with a limited set of inputs. These are limited by the console controller.
2019: 42 years on the Net.

CriticalHit425

Postby CriticalHit425 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:02 pm

So the question has to be raised after this conversation: Does the SoH team have any future plans to port this game to console? I think it would be awesome if you did (especially because most of the software I download on my computer destroys it... :?) I do believe that, even though the conversation is very old, that the points made are accurate, as DCUO can still accept a membership situation I do believe. This would also expand the game. Who knows? It could be put into VR format within the next decade, based how the world is unfolding!

Expansion good!

CH425
Roll the dice, I dare you...

AKA: Tempo

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:14 pm

There are no current plans to port this over to Consoles.

Bear in mind that we are barely out of alpha. And still have a long ways to go with beta testing.

This could be a direction in which they want to go in a few years. But first they want to get the game established in the current format. We just don’t have the funds to try anything else right now.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:08 pm

If they do a port to consoles in a few years, it will be to the XboX first. If you make a game for Win10, the port to XboX is built in. Not that it simple by any means, you need programming skills to do the port. But a port to XboX would be measured in months, instead of the years it would take for a PS4 or Mac port.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:52 pm

I don`t think so. Consoles are good for online gaming and limited multiplayer games but a pure MMO has to be played on PC. ;)
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:20 pm

If they do a port to consoles in a few years, it will be to the XboX first. If you make a game for Win10, the port to XboX is built in. Not that it simple by any means, you need programming skills to do the port. But a port to XboX would be measured in months, instead of the years it would take for a PS4 or Mac port.
Interesting

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”