What's the best anime, and what anime are you watching?

Golden Ace

Re: Currently Watching Sword Art Online

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:02 am

I liked "Fairy Tail" too, just sooo many episodes.
taking forever. on 80 right now and not even half way through.

might have to take a break to watch something else for a while.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Postby Avatar PDM » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:55 am

I liked "Fairy Tail" too, just sooo many episodes.
taking forever. on 80 right now and not even half way through.

might have to take a break to watch something else for a while.
tell me about it - I am going to Naruto now ;)

(watching others while at it too like you said ;) )
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Major Victory

Postby Major Victory » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:02 am

I would throw in The Rising of the Shield Hero, My Hero Academia, Goblin Slayer, Log Horizon and all of Full Metal Panic, which runs from humor in one series to gripping adventure in another. That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime is also fun to watch, just too bad that they don't add in the Dragon's perspective on the story like they do in the manga. Mob Psycho 100 is another fun anime dealing with a junior high boy with psychic powers. Black Clover is hit or miss, it gets better after awhile but you have to stick to it long enough to see that.

Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody the anime was good but the light novels are better.

I would recommend reading the light novel version of many of these including Is It Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon.

I would also recommend the light novels Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Now Wander the Dungeon. This throws pretty much every trope for that "I died and now am a hero in another world" out the window. The main hero is a vending machine, hence the name of the series, and sell various vending machine products to help out people and can only say a few stock phrases. It is a hoot!
So, about doing a list ;) well as mentioned before there are
Record of Lodoss War (with following Chronicles of the Heroic Knight)
Silent Moebius
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Bubblegum Crisis
Saber Rider
Galaxy Rangers
Defenders of the Earth (a must for a fan of the old Silver Age Comics :) )

and now, since I mentioned, that I checked a few, which I have been recording or which I read in resemblance to SAO here it goes ;)

Yona of the Dawn - typical "Princess learns of the world" story but nice to see though it would need a
2nd Season in my opinion
Is it wrong to pick up girls in a Dungeon - already the title is hilarious but it is also in concern of story and action worth seeing and has characters which are easy to like
Tsubasa Chronicles - nice story with great music background
Rokka - Braves of the Six Flowers - Another one of those medieval/fantasy stories and another one whichwould need another season
the Monogatari Series (Bakegomnogatari, Hanamonogatari, Tsukimonogatari)
Interesting plot and characters - sometimes quite strange but also kind of funny
Akame Ga Kill - Has nothing to do with the aforementioned Search-Concept but is something I recorded
and definitive a great series
My Cultivator Girlfriend - interesting anime style, story and music (seems like its not from Japan actually)
Infinite Stratos - not too deep but still nice to see if one likes the SciFi/Mecha type of stuff

So that much for beginning ;)

Major Victory

Postby Major Victory » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:19 am

For something completely different, I would add in Silver Spoon, two seasons. It is one of those Slice of Life Dramadies.

"Hachiken Yuugo enrolled in Oezo Agricultural High School for the reason that he could live in a dorm there. In some ways he chose Oezo in an effort to escape the highly competitive prep schools he had attended previously, but he was faced with an entirely new set of difficulties at Oezo, surrounded by animals and Mother Nature. After growing up in an average family, he began to encounter clubs and training the likes of which he had never seen before."

And Space Brothers is still one of my favorite near future stories all about two brothers and their adventures as an astronaut and astronaut trainee. NASA even helped a bit in providing information on Astronaut training as well as photos of astronauts training and in space.

For extremely fan service-y I would recommend High DxD. Good story and good battles but EXTREMELY fan service-y. Don't let the kids see you watch this.

"High School DxD is an anime series adapted from the light novels of the same title written by Ichiei Ishibumi and illustrated by Miyama-Zero. High school student Issei Hyoudou is your run-of-the-mill pervert who does nothing productive with his life, peeping on women and dreaming of having his own harem one day. Things seem to be looking up for Issei when a beautiful girl asks him out on a date, although she turns out to be a fallen angel who brutally kills him! However, he gets a second chance at life when beautiful senior student Rias Gremory, who is a top-class devil, revives him as her servant, recruiting Issei into the ranks of the school's Occult Research club.

Slowly adjusting to his new life, Issei must train and fight in order to survive in the violent world of angels and devils. Each new adventure leads to many hilarious (and risqué) moments with his new comrades, all the while keeping his new life a secret from his friends and family in High School DxD!"

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:50 am

For something completely different, I would add in Silver Spoon, two seasons. It is one of those Slice of Life Dramadies.

"Hachiken Yuugo enrolled in Oezo Agricultural High School for the reason that he could live in a dorm there. In some ways he chose Oezo in an effort to escape the highly competitive prep schools he had attended previously, but he was faced with an entirely new set of difficulties at Oezo, surrounded by animals and Mother Nature. After growing up in an average family, he began to encounter clubs and training the likes of which he had never seen before."

And Space Brothers is still one of my favorite near future stories all about two brothers and their adventures as an astronaut and astronaut trainee. NASA even helped a bit in providing information on Astronaut training as well as photos of astronauts training and in space.

For extremely fan service-y I would recommend High DxD. Good story and good battles but EXTREMELY fan service-y. Don't let the kids see you watch this.

"High School DxD is an anime series adapted from the light novels of the same title written by Ichiei Ishibumi and illustrated by Miyama-Zero. High school student Issei Hyoudou is your run-of-the-mill pervert who does nothing productive with his life, peeping on women and dreaming of having his own harem one day. Things seem to be looking up for Issei when a beautiful girl asks him out on a date, although she turns out to be a fallen angel who brutally kills him! However, he gets a second chance at life when beautiful senior student Rias Gremory, who is a top-class devil, revives him as her servant, recruiting Issei into the ranks of the school's Occult Research club.

Slowly adjusting to his new life, Issei must train and fight in order to survive in the violent world of angels and devils. Each new adventure leads to many hilarious (and risqué) moments with his new comrades, all the while keeping his new life a secret from his friends and family in High School DxD!"
sounds interesting thanks (though i currently am a little bit hestitant about drama since I got enough of that in my life ;) )

Actually funny you are mentioning High School DxD. I mean it is as you mentioned something definitely not for children and also not for those who have trouble with sexual content or are easily hurt regarding religious feelings; basically said it always kind of just a step away from a softcore hentai with some debatable positioning in question of good/bad/devil/god.

That being said it is aside that quite an entertaining series with characters which are funny and easy to like or hate and are actually constantly growing. The action and drawing style are quite good too and are indeed catching. There is also something to think about regarding being able to deal with past tragedies and being able to move forward - so for those who wants to have some seriousness and thought too they can find at least a bit of it. The harem aspect is typically funny made and actually evolves into some romance story.

So, all in all when one is able to overlook or don´t mind the stuff mentionend in my first part I do agree that it is worth seeing to have a lot of good laughs and entertainment (though I have to admit there where a few scenes where even I skipped a minute or so just they were so embarrasing ;) )
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:58 am

Oh and there is actually another one I really DO recommend ! :)

Anyone heard of Death Parade? (I guess so, but still am asking)

a very deep an intelligent series about people having to deal with their inner darkness after they died (not knowing it at the moment) and also a lot of tragedy and questioning of right or wrong of what evil or bad really is and what motivates humans. So a quite fascinating series which makes people reflect and think - absolutely great made and a very interesting idea!

Von

Postby Von » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:28 am

I did watch "Death Parade". While it is a good anime, it can be depressing at the same time. One of those "you'll just have to see for yourself" shows.
You can run, but you'll just die tired.

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:32 am

I did watch "Death Parade". While it is a good anime, it can be depressing at the same time. One of those "you'll just have to see for yourself" shows.
I totally agree with you - it is quite some serious material which can lie hard on your stomache.
For those who just want to be entertained and have some lighthearted stuff to have a few laughs, that one is definitely wrong I have to say!

It is a topic which has a lot of depth though. It is made intelligent with interesting characters and sometimes quite complicated. It makes one reflect and question him/herself about life and death and it is quite interesting on a pure philosophical position. At least that is, what it did to me.
I questioned myself about how I see the word guilt and if justice is possible without emotion. It made me think about how far a person really can go and how individuality and free will are free to be manipulated and hard to keep if not even completely impossible. And of course it made me think about my own inner darkness and purity of feelings in general.

That can indeed be hard to take but it did in fact fascinate me and therefore though completely on another level than all the other anime I made comments about, this one has something I haven´t experienced yet and made me stay with it even though I am currently not really able to handle depressing stuff and still I did watch it without any regrets or getting darker in my own mood and feelings :)

But propably it is easier to take when you are a person who accepts the own character flaws and does not search for excuses. I´ve always been pretty good in analyzing myself and working with the dark side of me so it was nothing completely new but made me basically just think about my point of view

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:32 am

Looking at your I-have-not-seen-yet list, there would be several that I would recommend, such as Bubblegum Crisis and Rewrite, but the one YOU HAVE TO WATCH ASAP is Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry - Chivalry of a Failed Knight. This was a pinnacle anime, well done in every attribute. Once you see it you will be joining the chorus demanding a season 2! It starts off kind of Fan-Servicey, but don't let that stop you from watching one of the best anime's ever done.
say, have you heard if there is any chance that there will be a 2nd season?
I mean, unlike other animes with a romance plot this one has an ending which work, so it is not that what I am looking for but it still would be interesting how he does in the 7star tournament :)

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:40 am

Oh and here is another one I just saw

got to admit, I was kind of curious when stumbling over it, because it has such an unusual title

Ms. Vampire who lives in my Neighbourhood

It is kind of juvenile innocent humour I got to admit but when you do not put to much expectations into watching something this one is quite entertaining and light-hearted and just something for raising the mood :) (not everything must be as deep and philosophical as Death Parade).

So basically it is about a girl who meets a Vampire (body of a 13 year old) and in a quite funny way is becoming friends with her and going through everyday-live which leads to a lot of hillarious situations because of the culture clash (like summer break is leading to complications because everything in the human girls summer plans has to do with flowing water and/or sun which are basically both not to great for vampires in that oldschool interpretation of vampires; or different types of food and such things) and the fact that the girl is not afraid of her being a vampire at all and with her excitement actually scares the vampire girl more than vice versa :)

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:59 am

Looking at your I-have-not-seen-yet list, there would be several that I would recommend, such as Bubblegum Crisis and Rewrite, but the one YOU HAVE TO WATCH ASAP is Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry - Chivalry of a Failed Knight. This was a pinnacle anime, well done in every attribute. Once you see it you will be joining the chorus demanding a season 2! It starts off kind of Fan-Servicey, but don't let that stop you from watching one of the best anime's ever done.
say, have you heard if there is any chance that there will be a 2nd season?
I mean, unlike other animes with a romance plot this one has an ending which work, so it is not that what I am looking for but it still would be interesting how he does in the 7star tournament :)
One of the producers said they were working on an anime movie based on the Seven Star tournament, but that was in 2015, and no word since. They had no plans for a season 2. I have no idea why they stopped production, this series was very popular in Japan, as well as in the west.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:41 am

too bad - I really would have liked to see more of it and though I could live with a Movie (better than nothing) I do believe that the Tournament is too big a thing and would be wasted potential for such a great Anime as to reduce it to such a short time. I mean, currently they only have one opponent available beside their own team. Introducing a dozen characters in one movie would in my oppinion not do justice to the great storytelling and character forging we could see in the existing series.

I would vote for a second season in which at least three more schools and their main one or two fighters would be introduced. Those people would have some interactions with the current character cast and at the end it would have its big finale in the last three or four episodes about the personal and tournament-referring progress

careful that thought has a spoiler for those who do not know the series!
(maybe it actually could let into the actual marriage after the first season finished the way it did)

Major Victory

Re: What's the best anime, and what anime are you watching?

Postby Major Victory » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:09 am

Okay, not an anime but a TV show from South Korea that I started watching on Netflix streaming this past weekend that I would recommend. It is called Strong Girl Bong-Soon. It is an interesting blend of comedy, drama and romance, with an interesting dash of action. Runs 16 or so episodes of around 1 hour and 7 minutes each.

From Wikipedia synopsis:

Do Bong-soon (Park Bo-young) was born with superhuman strength. Her strength is hereditary and passed along only to the women in her family. Her dream is to create a video game with herself as the main character. She desperately wants to become a delicate and elegant woman, which is the ideal type of her crush, In Guk-doo (Ji Soo), a police officer. Thanks to her strength, she gets a job as bodyguard to rich heir Ahn Min-hyuk (Park Hyung-sik), the CEO of a gaming company, Ainsoft. In contrast to Guk-doo, Min-hyuk is an eccentric man who is playful, a little spoiled, has no regard for rules, and dislikes policemen. He has recently received anonymous threats and has even been stalked, leading him to hire Bong-soon as his bodyguard.

I'm up to episode nine. I find the actors enjoyable and for a small budget TV show, the special effects displaying her strength are quite good and in some ways, since they are using practical effects and not CGI for a lot of it, as good if not better than what we see on the big screen superhero movies.

I am not into romance movies and other "chick" flicks but I still find this a fun show to watch because it isn't overly sappy for most of it. And not knowing much about South Korea, other than we fought a war there, it is interesting to see how their culture is shown here and the similarities and differences between our own and theirs and how that motivates the characters.

Nothing objectionable in the most part is shown. No nudity, some blood and no cursing. Violence, some played for laughs, some for drama. I would rate it PG-13 due to some of the violence shown and some subject matter. [There is a man who kills his first victim and then goes around beating and then kidnapping women and holding them for his own nefarious pleasure. Those scenes can be a bit intense for some viewers. More psychological horror than anything really graphic.]

Give it a try.

I thank Netflix for having such a wide array of TV shows and Movies from other countries dealing with superheroes. Their take on an American staple is always interesting if not always top notch.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:28 pm

Maybe an interesting thread to get some costume ideas perhaps? ;)

Digimon, Afro Samurai, DBZ, Pokemon. Twitch has an "Always on" marathon of Pokemon, I watch it when I am by a PC or laptop.

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:55 am

Okay, not an anime but a TV show from South Korea that I started watching on Netflix streaming this past weekend that I would recommend. It is called Strong Girl Bong-Soon. It is an interesting blend of comedy, drama and romance, with an interesting dash of action. Runs 16 or so episodes of around 1 hour and 7 minutes each.

From Wikipedia synopsis:

Do Bong-soon (Park Bo-young) was born with superhuman strength. Her strength is hereditary and passed along only to the women in her family. Her dream is to create a video game with herself as the main character. She desperately wants to become a delicate and elegant woman, which is the ideal type of her crush, In Guk-doo (Ji Soo), a police officer. Thanks to her strength, she gets a job as bodyguard to rich heir Ahn Min-hyuk (Park Hyung-sik), the CEO of a gaming company, Ainsoft. In contrast to Guk-doo, Min-hyuk is an eccentric man who is playful, a little spoiled, has no regard for rules, and dislikes policemen. He has recently received anonymous threats and has even been stalked, leading him to hire Bong-soon as his bodyguard.

I'm up to episode nine. I find the actors enjoyable and for a small budget TV show, the special effects displaying her strength are quite good and in some ways, since they are using practical effects and not CGI for a lot of it, as good if not better than what we see on the big screen superhero movies.

I am not into romance movies and other "chick" flicks but I still find this a fun show to watch because it isn't overly sappy for most of it. And not knowing much about South Korea, other than we fought a war there, it is interesting to see how their culture is shown here and the similarities and differences between our own and theirs and how that motivates the characters.

Nothing objectionable in the most part is shown. No nudity, some blood and no cursing. Violence, some played for laughs, some for drama. I would rate it PG-13 due to some of the violence shown and some subject matter. [There is a man who kills his first victim and then goes around beating and then kidnapping women and holding them for his own nefarious pleasure. Those scenes can be a bit intense for some viewers. More psychological horror than anything really graphic.]

Give it a try.

I thank Netflix for having such a wide array of TV shows and Movies from other countries dealing with superheroes. Their take on an American staple is always interesting if not always top notch.
is that only available on Netflix? Got myself Amazon and I am pretty sure my wife won´t let me have Netflix on top of it ;)

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”