What's the best anime, and what anime are you watching?

Golden Ace

Re: Currently Watching Sword Art Online

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:15 pm

GladDog has seen everything.

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLADDOG!
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:34 pm

SNRK!

While anime and manga are two of my loves (I fell in love with anime when I was in Japan in the late 70s), I have by no means seem all of it.

Some series I have not seen that WILL surprise peeps;
One-Punch Man
One Piece
Bleach
Naruto
Overlord

Bleach and Naruto have been around for too long, too many episodes. Every time I look at Naruto's 543 epi's, I just can't get myself to start at the beginning...

Now, two series I HAVE seen all of the episodes that may surprise peeps;

All 4 series of Dragonball (first series, Z, GT, Super)
Inuyasha (all 166 episodes, plus the first two movies)

Some ANCIENT series that I have seen completely
Speed Racer
Gigantor * this one first released during WWII and was propoganda - I have only seen 5 of those episodes, and sadly the remainder may be lost forever. I have seen all of the remade series from the 60s
Tobor the 8th Man

I've seen most of Astro Boy (Not all of it; there are three series of Astro Boy, plus an upcoming prequel series)
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:18 pm

That brings back memories.

I remember watching those as a kid Gigantor, Speed racer, marine boy.

I’m keeping up with the English dub version of Dragon Ball Super. And have already seen one punch man. Several times. lol

I’ve seen a bunch of Naruto but not all by far, Same with one piece.

Postby Avatar PDM » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:23 am

SNRK!

While anime and manga are two of my loves (I fell in love with anime when I was in Japan in the late 70s), I have by no means seem all of it.

Some series I have not seen that WILL surprise peeps;
One-Punch Man
One Piece
Bleach
Naruto
Overlord

Bleach and Naruto have been around for too long, too many episodes. Every time I look at Naruto's 543 epi's, I just can't get myself to start at the beginning...

Now, two series I HAVE seen all of the episodes that may surprise peeps;

All 4 series of Dragonball (first series, Z, GT, Super)
Inuyasha (all 166 episodes, plus the first two movies)

Some ANCIENT series that I have seen completely
Speed Racer
Gigantor * this one first released during WWII and was propoganda - I have only seen 5 of those episodes, and sadly the remainder may be lost forever. I have seen all of the remade series from the 60s
Tobor the 8th Man

I've seen most of Astro Boy (Not all of it; there are three series of Astro Boy, plus an upcoming prequel series)
well, I can understand, why a series like Naruto is hard to start, since it is a huge one :)
got to admit I have seen not all of it yet - but it is a nice concept though not really new ;). That thing about a boy (an orphan to top it) who is seemingly nothing special except having a dream and a lot of will to pursue it is a nice thought to relate with :)
About Bleach - ok, I always have been wondering, what it is about Animes and those huge oversized swords, but anyway ;). Cannot say that much yet since I only seen a few episodes - not enough to give an analysis :)
Dragon Ball - well that one is certainly somethinge else :D If anyone ever again is talking about Superman being overpowered I shall ask him to look Dragon Ball Super ;). No but seriously - it has nice fight scenes (although of course not realistic - don´t look for that ;) ) is often kind of funny and is just plain sympathy catching :).
Inuyasha? Well, there I am glad for the Creators of SAO did a consequent number on the romance of Kirito and Asuna - though I guess it is kind of the concept at Inuyasha, that they never manage to get the next step ;)
About the rest? Well, I am familiar with some names (I am still thinking if I should give One Punch Man a try because of the Parodic Approach or better persiflage to the Superheroics which are part of the concept of that one / and I definitely will not start with One Piece since that kind of drawing style does not really speak to me) - but I have still a lot to learn from the Masters here :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Okay I made a list of what was suggested.

Things I've seen (in order).

• Sword Art Online Seasons 1 & 2
  • Overlord Seasons 1, 2, & 3
  • Log Horizon Seasons 1 & 2
  • Attack on Titan Seasons 1, 2, & 3
  • Hundred Season 1
  • Battle Angel Alita
Things I have not seen yet (in no specific order).

1. Thunderbirds 2086
  2. Saber Rider
  3. Galaxy Rangers
  4. Record of Lodoss War
  5. Record of Lodoss War Chronicles of the Heroic Knight
  6. Erased
  7. Bubblegum Crisis
  8. Bastard
  9. Silent Moebius
  10. Neon Genesis Evangelion
  11. RahXephon
  12. Serial Experiments Lain
  13. Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry - Chivalry of a Failed Knight
  14. Rewrite (no dub) :(

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:36 am

Almost forgot -Shingeki no Kyojin - also known as Attack on Titan. A top tier anime, but it is ultra violent. If you can handle that, you are rewarded with a deep story, great character development, and an agonizing but amazing love story.

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:22 pm

Almost forgot -Shingeki no Kyojin - also known as Attack on Titan. A top tier anime, but it is ultra violent. If you can handle that, you are rewarded with a deep story, great character development, and an agonizing but amazing love story.
true - attack on Titan is an awesome Story and anime in General
but tell me - do you know any anime which actually has a romance like soa?
I mean, I have seen a few now but all I have seen was like either one of them died or one of them had a Mission which kept them from coming together

by the way been wtchung akame ga kill - great anime but typical ending
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:56 pm

If you are looking for atypical love stories, then here is one I mentioned before - Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry. The protagonist is not a clueless idiot. Very well done, and a GREAT, although a bit surprising - ending.

https://kissanime.ru/Anime/Rakudai-Kishi-no-Cavalry

There is a movie in the works following up on the anime, although I have no idea when it will air.

Odee

Postby Odee » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:26 pm

Can't abide Anime much at all. Too much screaming, and slapstick for my tastes.
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:06 pm

Odee
Ever seen 'The Devil Is a Part-Timer'? If not, give it a try. There are only 13 episodes because it didn't catch on very well, which is a shame because it was something different than most anime that I'd seen. The American voice cast really shines with the material they were given. Just understand that there were notable changes for western audiences, which is also a shame because there are times you can visually tell where minor scenes were missing or dialog wasn't fully cohesive amongst the characters.
Time to let Ol' Painless out of the bag.

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:06 am

of Course everyone is free to his/her own opinion / taste

but this one I cannot leave uncommented.
If you use the word anime than you cannot categorize it with two words. That simply does not do the wide range of Anime/Manga Art justice at all. Anime is just a word which describes the Kind of animated art being created originally in Japan and most times Comes from Mangas but not Always (just as a extra info - Mangas are that popular that in Japan they use more paper for Manga Print then for Hygiene and sanitary articles).

There is no Topic which is not being used for Anime/Manga. From Mangas with economy or science Topics, Mangas About craftmanship or theology stuff, Animes About all Kind of literature or even, Horror or erotic Content. And all that is also being used in Anime Form.

Itlandm

Postby Itlandm » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:38 pm

Yeah, no. It is true that most anime that is translated into English is either comedic or over the top violent, or both. But this is partly an estimate of the western market rather than the nature of anime as such. And it is certainly not without exception. A couple anime that come to mind:
-The Laws of Eternity: A religious anime movie seeking to reconcile Christianity and Buddhism as well as religion and science. While it has some humor and violence, the underlying message is serious enough for anyone and too serious for most.
-Koi Kaze: A series about an adult brother and sister who reunite after living apart since they were small, and eventually fall in love, much to their own horror. While sibling incest is a recurring source of slapstick comedy in Japan, this series shows what would actually happen in real life, and it is not a happy fun thing. Again, too serious for most.
-Erased: A young man has the ability to travel a few minutes back in time to prevent things he see go wrong. But when his mother is murdered and he is framed for the crime, he has to travel back to his own childhood and find the murderer of not only his mother, but also two of his classmates. Definitely not slapstick. (There is also a live action version on Netflix if you prefer that.)

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:09 pm

Yeah, no. It is true that most anime that is translated into English is either comedic or over the top violent, or both. But this is partly an estimate of the western market rather than the nature of anime as such. And it is certainly not without exception. A couple anime that come to mind:
-The Laws of Eternity: A religious anime movie seeking to reconcile Christianity and Buddhism as well as religion and science. While it has some humor and violence, the underlying message is serious enough for anyone and too serious for most.
-Koi Kaze: A series about an adult brother and sister who reunite after living apart since they were small, and eventually fall in love, much to their own horror. While sibling incest is a recurring source of slapstick comedy in Japan, this series shows what would actually happen in real life, and it is not a happy fun thing. Again, too serious for most.
-Erased: A young man has the ability to travel a few minutes back in time to prevent things he see go wrong. But when his mother is murdered and he is framed for the crime, he has to travel back to his own childhood and find the murderer of not only his mother, but also two of his classmates. Definitely not slapstick. (There is also a live action version on Netflix if you prefer that.)
that was what I had in mind. To state the difference between the genre as such and a part of the market as you mentioned it absolutely right. Of course the Anime which does its way into the western countries differ because of what people like to see but as I wanted to explain that is just a small part of the whole art and therefore I just wanted to put that generalisation into the right perspective.
Otherwise it would do the whole art injustice and would be like reducing american Comic Art to Superheroes and Micky Mouse (though there is way more - without judging that right now) or Superhero Comics to DC and Marvel (which are the most famous and succesful but definitely not the only ones)

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:43 am

say Glad Dog
Since Golden Ace already mentioned, that you haven seen everything - do you know a platform where one can legally buy and download MP3 Music belonging to those animes?

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:48 am

GladDog has seen everything.

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLADDOG!
by the way - have you seen the movies already?

As already mentioned - I think that Extra Edition widens and cleares the point of view to the first season
and the other movie Ordinary Scale is (by the way great Soundtrack and Action again ;) ) as I understood it so far the introduction to the third season Alicization

Would be interesting, what you think of them :)

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”