What's the best anime, and what anime are you watching?

Golden Ace

What's the best anime, and what anime are you watching?

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:31 pm

Hooked after the second episode.

GladDog have you seen it yet?

been using 9anime to view it.

https://www1.9anime.to/watch/sword-art-online-dub.nw4k
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

GladDog

Re: Currently Watching Sword Art Online

Postby GladDog » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:13 pm

I love, hate and love SAO.

This anime is great as an Isekai sword & sorcery romp. It is very hard to find a better one. Some of the material in part one is a little tough to accept, but overall the series is top notch. I finished the main series, but found part two, the faerie version, to be something I could not finish, especially with the implied sexual assault stuff. The third part, using guns, is a HUGE step up and I think it will end up being the best of the three, getting back to the roots of the series in a very creative way. But, I have not finished part three yet. It took me a while to even consider watching three after being assailed by two, and I only started watching it recently.

So, IMO, watch and enjoy part one, watch two until you can't deal with the subject matter, and then skip to three.

There are a series of games based on this anime, and the one on the PS4 is supposed to be a top game, especially if you have friends to play with. The PC version. umm. really sux.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:44 pm

ha, should have known I couldn't find something good that you hadn't seen already.

thanks for the warning on season 2. :/

gemini

Postby gemini » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:10 pm

Watch Overlord, it's much better ;)

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:40 am

Gemini
Tell us about Overlord - always interested in hearing about good things :)
Last edited by Avatar PDM on Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:51 am

ha, should have known I couldn't find something good that you hadn't seen already.

thanks for the warning on season 2. :/
Unbelievable that this Anime finds its way to that place :)

I recorded it from TV a while ago and two weeks ago I watched it (wanted to check during weekend on my recorded animes if they are worth keeping on my NAS) and couldn´t stop :)

I understand what G.D meant with the sexual assault part - thats pretty hard to take, especially regarding how the series was until then. It took the whole story to a complete different level, though I have to say, that it was basically a way of explaining the whole thing, which would have been pretty unexplainable otherwise ( I mean, why keep Asuna away from all of those 300 when not for romantic/sexual reasons?). They wanted to make it personal and how much more personal could it get? At least they left it with the implication and made it possible to think that Kirito manage to prevent the worst. Still I agree that that could have been written different and that end of the second part actually kind of makes me doubt it is really still something for youth.
What irritates me more though is that implied romantic connection between Kirito and his cousin (though Kirito is not interested, that japanese fascination for sibbling romantics is sometimes a bit irritating) which on being watched with a certain open perspective can also be explained as a way of putting emotional drama in the story but again they are scratching a pretty sensitive topic here.
Until it gets there it has a lot of great scenses which are really worth seeing :)

I also liked the Jedi Part in the GGO and it all got connected in the 4th part of the storyline which currently really is something I do like most :)

I haven´t been able to see the 3rd season - so is there a place where you can watch it legally already (don´t mind it being in english I think that series is better translated in english anyway than in german - which is not happening too often since germam translations are most of the time supreme quality)

To all who haven´t seen it

If you like anime this one is a must see in my eyes!
Please if you don´t want to know nothing at all to completely susprised don´t read on - otherwise it might include too much info although I try to avoid any Spoilers.

For whom? For all, who like RPG, Sword and Sorcery Fantasy (concentrated on Sword ;) ), for those who like romantic stories

Why? You have a typical youth who exceeds everyone else scenario and by being the typical loner attracts all the girls. He gets the number one in the game and they go through "hell" together bonding in very unique way.
The combination of action, which is made quite nice, tension because of the live/death situation in close battle scenarios, and romantic everyday life routine combined with sometimes a little bit innocent humour makes a combination which I found very seldom.
Also the idea of the dream being able to dive completely in a alternate world is something easy to understand and fealing with, which immidiately creates a bond between story and watcher.
All in all it is a story to dream and smile :)

Hope I did not tell you too much while getting the impression, what makes the series special :)

(liked it enough to buy the games and sometimes check into youtube to watch those little outtakes you get there ;) )
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

gemini

Postby gemini » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:05 am

Gemini
Guy is holding his own sort of vigil for a shutting down MMO (sound familiar? haha) except he's one of the last players online - most of the others, including his guild, have long since quit.

Servers shut down and cue 'transported to new world'

The part I like that separates it from the others of the similar genre - he's not an idealistic kid starting out weak and alone - (he's got all his levels, spells, riches, guild hall) so he decides to take over the world.

It's an interesting deconstruction. It's on Hulu - 3 seasons.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:50 am

Another good watch - sort of - is Rewrite.

Season one is outstanding, a well thought out and fresh take on the genre.

Season two starts out utterly weird. It stays weird for the first 6-7 episodes and then goes back to being an outstanding anime. The ending is surprising but superb. The hard part is getting though the first bewildering half of season two.

---------------------------------

One of my favorites is Hundred.

Yes, it is full of fan service, yes it has a striking resemblance to Infinite Stratos (another good anime, btw), But it has a whole lot of depth, a constant feeling of dread, and a great story. Even with the desperate story the harem aspect makes you laugh and laugh! It is definitely a different anime from IS, I wish they could have stretched out the anime to 13 episodes. The ending was very rushed compared to the light novel.

-------------------------------

Speaking of light novels, The New Gate is one of the best out there. A great, great story. The manga has substandard cleaning and redrawing, but damn... it is really good as well. I can't wait for this one to become an anime!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:24 am

Gemini
Guy is holding his own sort of vigil for a shutting down MMO (sound familiar? haha) except he's one of the last players online - most of the others, including his guild, have long since quit.

Servers shut down and cue 'transported to new world'

The part I like that separates it from the others of the similar genre - he's not an idealistic kid starting out weak and alone - (he's got all his levels, spells, riches, guild hall) so he decides to take over the world.

It's an interesting deconstruction. It's on Hulu - 3 seasons.
ok thanks - will check on it :)

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:27 am

Another good watch - sort of - is Rewrite.

Season one is outstanding, a well thought out and fresh take on the genre.

Season two starts out utterly weird. It stays weird for the first 6-7 episodes and then goes back to being an outstanding anime. The ending is surprising but superb. The hard part is getting though the first bewildering half of season two.

---------------------------------

One of my favorites is Hundred.

Yes, it is full of fan service, yes it has a striking resemblance to Infinite Stratos (another good anime, btw), But it has a whole lot of depth, a constant feeling of dread, and a great story. Even with the desperate story the harem aspect makes you laugh and laugh! It is definitely a different anime from IS, I wish they could have stretched out the anime to 13 episodes. The ending was very rushed compared to the light novel.

-------------------------------

Speaking of light novels, The New Gate is one of the best out there. A great, great story. The manga has substandard cleaning and redrawing, but damn... it is really good as well. I can't wait for this one to become an anime!
and thank YOU again :D
always interesting to improve my horizon :)

btw - what I have forgotten to mention - it was a new experience for me (with Sword Art Online) having a japanese Anime which actually has a happy end (though I heard that this is becoming more common ;) )
just out of curiosity - would you say I wrote too much (I can still delete parts if you tell me I did give out too much)

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:09 am

Wow, thanks guys. You guys are awesome

I’m adding these to my list of things I need to watch.

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:44 am

Wow, thanks guys. You guys are awesome

I’m adding these to my list of things I need to watch.
I know that went towards GD and Gemini but I just wanted to say : it always depends on what you like to see ;)

I am kind of a Sci Fi or Fantasy Fan, so this is what I am looking for in general :)
started with Record of Lodoss War (with following Chronicles of the Heroic Knight)
went on with Silent Moebius and Neon Genesis Evangelion, Bubblegum Crisis (in those days I had a female friend who wanted to watch Animes with me ;) )
of course my childhood was about Saber Rider and Galaxy Rangers ;)

but mainly I watched movies, so I know most of the stuff which has been translated (in german - though I would also watch english too but am not sure where to legally stream) and myself also enjoy the stuff which is supposed to be for the younger audience since I believe it is always good to play with the inner child :)

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:57 am

Avatar your posts are always insightful and informative. and no you didn't write too much. and you used paragraphs :D

I always appreciate your insight. wish you would have or could have logged on to paragon chat and discord with us Friday night. that was a blast. would have been better with you there.

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:28 am

Avatar your posts are always insightful and informative. and no you didn't write too much. and you used paragraphs :D

I always appreciate your insight. wish you would have or could have logged on to paragon chat and discord with us Friday night. that was a blast. would have been better with you there.
true - would have loved to be part of it! :( I will definitely try next year again. Was just such a busy weekend, with me being only at home to sleep, that I had no time in getting on my Notebook, at all and regretfully did also not manage to use Lunawisps and your infos to finally get it working.

P.S. Yep, I am doing my best not to strain your sight too much :D
When I am writing long text episodes without a break it is usually because I am just typing down, what goes through my mind, without me wanting to break the flow. (and with app. 70-80 hits per minute - got slower ever since my hand-impairment after that car accident but still - that still are quite a few letters ;) )

gemini

Postby gemini » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:27 am

I know that went towards GD and Gemini but I just wanted to say : it always depends on what you like to see ;)

I am kind of a Sci Fi or Fantasy Fan, so this is what I am looking for in general :)
started with Record of Lodoss War (with following Chronicles of the Heroic Knight)
went on with Silent Moebius and Neon Genesis Evangelion, Bubblegum Crisis (in those days I had a female friend who wanted to watch Animes with me ;) )
of course my childhood was about Saber Rider and Galaxy Rangers ;)
Lodoss War, NGE, Bubblegum Crisis and Bastard! were my first animes as well.

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”