Who was involved in Command & Conquer from the team?

JestersGhost

Who was involved in Command & Conquer from the team?

Postby JestersGhost » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:15 am

Just saw that among the listed previous experience on the kickstarter page. Very slim chance, but might have met you many years ago - was part of a small group of modders invited to Westwood studios before C&C: Renegade was released.

Playing that multiplayer against Kane himself is definitely one of my highlights :D
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Gooch

Re: Who was involved in Command & Conquer from the team?

Postby Gooch » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:06 pm

Just saw that among the listed previous experience on the kickstarter page. Very slim chance, but might have met you many years ago - was part of a small group of modders invited to Westwood studios before C&C: Renegade was released.

Playing that multiplayer against Kane himself is definitely one of my highlights :D
Hey JestersGhost, that would be me.

I started at Westwood in '92 (so this marks my 25th year as a games artist, yikes!)
I was there for the all of the C&C games, from the first up through Renegade. The modding community was amazing (still is actually, I am still contacted by people working on projects to this day.)

Fun fact: You may remember "Seth" from C&C, Kane's right hand man. I played Seth, so you got to see me get shot by Kane after I order you to attack the Pentagon. Good times! :D

Glad you were able to take part!

-Gooch

JestersGhost

Re: Who was involved in Command & Conquer from the team?

Postby JestersGhost » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:21 pm

Yeah, working on mods was great fun. I got my start on "The Opera" for Half-Life (which is what got me invited to Westwood). I then worked on a few Unreal Tournament mods that sadly never got released. It's funny how the "Make something unreal" competition actually killed a lot of the community, as suddenly everyone expected to be paid for their work on a mod, which felt so bizarre.

The Opera moved to UT engine after it's initial release, but the above issues killed our momentum and we ended up just donating our code to the Action mod and shutting up shop. Real shame, as I met some great people there. Mind you, I expect you could say much the same about Westwood too :/

So "Seth" is now working on SoH? Wow, that's such a small world :) I never realised you were a dev too :P So cool :D
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”