If you were going to make a game what would it be?

Red5

If you were going to make a game what would it be?

Postby Red5 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:19 am

For sake of argument, lets say you have everything you need to make the game. I am curious on concept(s).

Me? I do not know if I would go Unity 5 as Eleon Game Studios game did but I can say for what I'd want to do it would work as shown by Empyion: Galactic Survival.

I would get a license or out right right by the IP for Mutant Chronicles for my setting. I would add in a dash of Neverwinter in that the game would be stand alone but also have the tools for a player to become a Game Master and thusly able to able to host games/servers and be able have the tools available for enemy faction bases.

IF your not familiar with these games allow me a quick version run down...

Mutant Chronicles is set in the future and focuses heavily upon our own solar system. Planets like Mars and Venus have been terraformed and ans resources are frequently fought over by Mega Corporations. In the past a extra dimensional evil wormed it's way into our reality upon finding yet another planet beyond Pluto which inadvertently broke a mystical seal.

The Evil had a way of taking over A.I. and tech through it's Dark Symmetry and Humans were literally loosing the the War for survival as they were quickly being catapulted back into the dark ages. Then a powerful Mystic came along and basically Defeated the great evil and re-sealed the mystic barrier. The fight cost him his life ultimately but before he fell he had established a house of mystics...to train in the "light" mystical arts.

As I said, humanity was back in the Dark ages and it took them a long long time to rise back up. History was largely lost..even to the point they had forgotten the dark evil threat by most. But some traditions remained such as most "new" tech was never to have A.I., and some clans within certain Mega Corporations remain complete Luddites...fighting with melee weapons and bows over machine guns and the like. So the game plays more like a "diesel punk sci-fi"

So the way Eleon Game Studios has set up their game imho is nearly perfect fit for such a game. Empyrion generates a solar system with varying planet types. I ofc would have the default as out solar system as per Mutant Chronicles spec such as Venus terraformed into jungle. My game would stray away from Empyrion's "survival" game meta.

I would from start allow players to pick at start what "faction" they belong to be it one of the 6 Mega Corporations..each having their own starting locations, but would be quickly on there way going to Earth's moon at the request of the Cartel (which is a mix organization consisting each "faction"/nation/mega corp)...think of it as more type of United Nations. From there in a solo game you would undoubtedly uncover a plots that the big bad(s) are back and it is up to you on how best to deal with them.

Multiplayer... you could run as a group through those same plots or opt to have a GM who would have access to run a campaign. Part of tools, for example, a GM could dig the ground and set up an elaborate "hidden" base for the group to encounter and go through...

I guess I am saying the game would replaces cardboard tiles and miniatures ...speed up combat systems, drop the paper character sheet in trade of an actual character, etc.

------------------------

As to the why? One of the best PnP game session I ever had was from Mutant Chronicls and I would love for ppl to have that experience.

We rented a motel room for the weekend as we had a long one....scooched the bed and chairs to perfectly fit a large'ish card table in the middle and we literally gamed non stop 24/7 for the next 3 days. We were all soldiers so 72 hour exercise was perfectly normal.

Down side to the game was clunky combat...it had multiple shot = possible multiple hits = multiple hit locations = varying damages per hits. and all of it had to be tracked as I will explain in a minute. We did our best to roll multiples of dice all at once but it all still had to be tallied up...multiplied by 6 players per round and you can imagine where we caught our cat naps at lol.

By day 2 we were still not even half way through this stronghold we were storming. Our Mystics were low if not out of mana. All of us were out of ammo and half of us were fairly wounded. And all around us were bad guys and their weapons... a real dilemma arouse. Mystics can't or rather wouldn't use tainted dark symmetry tech...this spooked the rest into using them as well fearing (and rightfully so) loosing their very souls to it. We started not knowing exactly what we was walking into but we packed as if we were going into war. and not even half way through the horror of realization creeped in....we had killed soo many zombies, ezoghouls, necro mutants, and you name it to the point of running out of everything and we were not even half way done.

Well now mind you this was a one off...and a regular campaign (which we had ran a few) went differently, but that weekend was the best
...reporting in.

Golden Ace

Re: If you were going to make a game what would it be?

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:08 pm

That sounds very cool.

I'd play it!

Myself. I have always been a favorite of what I call God games. my game would be something like you as a God create the world then create your species, then their civilization and direct it to advance and conquer the planet then conquer space the and the solar system (other inhabited planets) and then the galaxy where you meet other players doing the same thing. you can either trade with them, conquer them, or be subjugated by them because they were a superior species with superior tech. or frankly just drove you back with an ungodly amount of numbers.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:38 pm

Squooshoo.
Pokemonesque pet raising and battling game. My idea started as dragons and morphed into slimes over the years lol.
Your pets start off as a clear drop of slime. You feed it food, and it can absorb elements from the food to gain traits and appearance. For example, if you ate a shovel, you could get some wood and some metal element. You would turn shiny metallic with brown grains. You would have decent defense and some healing powers (wood being "nature" and "nature" having healing)
Owners can control what and how much their pet eats. Most things you find in the world will have mixed elements, it is very rare to find a pure element. Even if you do, your pet eats until it is 100% full, which can take his whole life to do. Once it's 100%, its traits are set.
VERY rare drops will have pure elements or allow you to "clear" some element from your pet. (cash shop items can allow you to completely clear your elements and buy 100% pure element items)
*note: pure elements aren't necessarily better than mixed, it just gives you more control of the final composition you are going for
I had a list with over 20 elements somewhere, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.
Your pet grows as it gets full, and at 75% they are big enough to ride! (if you have no legs on your pet, think hippity hop bouncing toys!)

Another thing to set it apart, is genetics. All Squooshoos start as pure blobs looking like drops of water. Genetic drift can occur during breeding, and mutations can occur (and be passed down) when eating an item with a hidden mutation modifier. You pet could grow legs, get 3 eyes, wings, tails, rooster combs, and much more. While elements only pass on 5% to offspring at random, mutations and genetic drifts pass on just like normal real world traits.

On top of your pet raising, there's player homes, fishing, resource gathering, crafting, socializing, monster fighting (dungeons only), costumes, Squooshoo racing, and more.
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

olepi

Postby olepi » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:29 am

I would make a Wild West MMO. With ranching, mining, and multi-faction PvP with cowboys, Indians, renegades, and outlaws.

When I retire next year, I plan to start coding it up. Have already spec'd out a lot.
2020: 43 years on the Net.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:09 am

I would make a superheroes in space game, sort of like COH and...

Wait. You know what I would do.

olepi

Postby olepi » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:40 am

I would make a superheroes in space game, sort of like COH and...

Wait. You know what I would do.
That would definitely be cool. Maybe have it on a ship. Call it Ship of Fate. Yeah, that's it :mrgreen:

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:38 pm

haha
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Red5

Postby Red5 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:43 am

narf
...reporting in.

Weylor

Postby Weylor » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:01 am

I've had 2 big game ideas that I've thought about a lot that I would die to have brought to life. Both would be insane to code but..here they are.

1. First, a new Dungeons and Dragons single-player game. It would be along the Sword Coast and be MASSIVE open world. The entire game world would have to be built with game logic as close to pen & paper as you can get. It would be semi turn-based but a new version of turn based that I haven't seen before. You run around in the open world, like in Skyrim, but once you get within a certain distance of an enemy you 'drop' into encounter mode where it is turn-based. Basically it would have the most options of any game to be as close to P&P as possible. Want to sneak up a tree? sure. Want to jump out of the tree onto an enemy? go for it. Want to try to burn down a forest? go for it but I hope you are commanding a dragon. Want to try impersonating someone? Pick who from a list of every NPC you have ever heard of or met. Etc etc etc. Super advanced AI for every monster species; roving barbarians, dragons, goblins, every monster in the MM.

2. This one is far simpler than the first. It's a transformers-esque game where you begin as a human sized living machine/robot and as you adventure, you defeat enemies and find loot you can use to replace your own body parts with to start getting bigger and stronger. You can fully customize every piece of your character to fit any 'class' you'd want to play; put everything into one massive attack, all defense, etc etc etc.

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:08 am

actually I have been thinking about Star Trek lately:

I dont know, if you recall that old one Birth of the Federation?
OK it was a little bit simple in question of graphics in some cases but a updated and more complete version of it would be great (like having more factions - Dominion would be a must have - and having the quadrants a little bit more detailed - more races too) and combining that with a solo part like being able to play a storyline paralell to the complete Universal Picture would sum it up to perfection :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Warhead

Postby Warhead » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:48 pm

I would make a Wild West MMO. With ranching, mining, and multi-faction PvP with cowboys, Indians, renegades, and outlaws.

When I retire next year, I plan to start coding it up. Have already spec'd out a lot.
I saw there is a wild west themed game coming out within the year. Have you seen it?

olepi

Postby olepi » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:16 pm

I saw there is a wild west themed game coming out within the year. Have you seen it?
I've heard of a couple of Wild West games, but no MMO's. You are talking about a new MMO?

Solari

Postby Solari » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:04 am

I've had 2 big game ideas that I've thought about a lot that I would die to have brought to life. Both would be insane to code but..here they are.

1. First, a new Dungeons and Dragons single-player game. It would be along the Sword Coast and be MASSIVE open world. The entire game world would have to be built with game logic as close to pen & paper as you can get.
I think the closest you can get to this is Neverwinter Nights or Divinity: Original Sin 2. I used to play NWN on Amia Online a fair bit and it's great when several DMs are online. Might have to get back to it.

I wish they'd make a new Neverwinter Nights or Baldur's Gate style game but Bioware just care about catering to the lowest common denominator nowadays so no chance.

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:42 am

1. First, a new Dungeons and Dragons single-player game. It would be along the Sword Coast and be MASSIVE open world. The entire game world would have to be built with game logic as close to pen & paper as you can get.
I think the closest you can get to this is Neverwinter Nights or Divinity: Original Sin 2. I used to play NWN on Amia Online a fair bit and it's great when several DMs are online. Might have to get back to it.

I wish they'd make a new Neverwinter Nights or Baldur's Gate style game but Bioware just care about catering to the lowest common denominator nowadays so no chance.
thanks for the infos - I loved Baldurs Gate :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Phantom Mouse

Postby Phantom Mouse » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:50 am

I'd make either a turn based strategy rpg (think Final Fantasy Tactics for instance) but with superheroes and optional missions where you take specific heroes out on a patrol. This would encourage players to use all the characters so they don't end up having to miss an optional mission because their character is to weak to perform well.

That or a turn based strategy rpg focused more on the super group. You'd "put out word" that you're looking for a specific type of character (tank, scrapper, blaster, defender, controller, etc) and within a couple missions you'd get one response that's determined from a pool of characters you don't have yet. You can then decide whether or not to keep the character. If you do, they are out of the pool of options, if you don't they remain in the pool. If I wanted to make the team grow at a quicker rate, I could allow for two or more heroes to advertised for, adjusting to what I felt was a reasonable play factor for team size.

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”