Didn't know CoX was capable of this

A1fighter

Didn't know CoX was capable of this

Postby A1fighter » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:48 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJtBaNZeHGE

The resemblance to those heroes is crazy :lol: .

Re: Didn't know CoX was capable of this

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:29 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJtBaNZeHGE

The resemblance to those heroes is crazy :lol: .
hope you don´t get that wrong with our history - but what do you mean with - you did not know?
You mean about the looks or about the powers?
If so, that is part of the reason why we CoH players are still mourning for it ;)
Still interesting seeing it again - was fun how much time and effort some put into reliving some sceneries and ideas :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Shieldwolf

Postby Shieldwolf » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:05 am

It was also the basis behind a lawsuit by Marvel. Their claim was that players could create looks that were identical to their intellectual property

Then two things came out during the lawsuit.

1. 90-95% of us CoH players were making our own UNIQUE characters, and;
2. The identical characters Marvel were calling foul on, were in fact created by members of their own staff to attempt to show the courts, "See!?"
Virtue server, Dawn Patrol SG
Crimsonstar
Chain Lightning
Lady Victoria

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:14 am

It was also the basis behind a lawsuit by Marvel. Their claim was that players could create looks that were identical to their intellectual property

2. The identical characters Marvel were calling foul on, were in fact created by members of their own staff to attempt to show the courts, "See!?"

I just created the characters I made for my own comic universe anyway ;)
Still you got to admit it was sometimes kind of fun kicking your old Comic-Book-heroes around :)
But, to your comment, though I do not know about that (never been so deep into that I guess) it sounds sadly believable
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

mereman

Postby mereman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:30 am

I liked to make a lot of my heroes look nothing like a hero :D
Still in mourning for CoH

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:51 am

While it is possible it was deeply frowned upon and cause to have your character generalized.

We will have the same policy or something similar. We don’t need a lawsuit by Marvel, or DC etc...
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:05 pm

I don't know if I can buy that because I have not played CoX, but I have played DCUO and CO. I had no idea the Hulk, Superman, Wolverine, Goku among others had so many twin brothers. It is impossible, let me say it again, impossible to play any of those games and not run into a Marvel, DC or anime toons within minutes of play. Some of them are hilarious :lol:

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:55 am

I don't know if I can buy that because I have not played CoX, but I have played DCUO and CO. I had no idea the Hulk, Superman, Wolverine, Goku among others had so many twin brothers. It is impossible, let me say it again, impossible to play any of those games and not run into a Marvel, DC or anime toons within minutes of play. Some of them are hilarious :lol:
90% of characters were not based on, inspired by, or intentionally derivative of existing IP's. Especially early in the life of CoH, infringements were common, but thanks in large part to the Marvel lawsuit, copyright violations of all types drastically decreased in later years. There were of course a few that popped up, but any that caught the attention of a GM ( or was brought to the attention of one) was quickly generic'ed. Fair use and parody exceptions be darned, I still reported anything that I saw, and I know many were more vigilant than I.

Just a note on point two as well... Yes, Marvel's lawyers were that stupid. (it's on page 2) - although having read through it, I think the ability to create copyright-infringing characters was the least laughable part of the lawsuit.

We now return to our regularly scheduled lurking. /pow_exec_toggle_on hide

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:07 am

90% of characters were not based on, inspired by, or intentionally derivative of existing IP's. Especially early in the life of CoH, infringements were common, but thanks in large part to the Marvel lawsuit, copyright violations of all types drastically decreased in later years. There were of course a few that popped up, but any that caught the attention of a GM ( or was brought to the attention of one) was quickly generic'ed. Fair use and parody exceptions be darned, I still reported anything that I saw, and I know many were more vigilant than I.

Just a note on point two as well... Yes, Marvel's lawyers were that stupid. (it's on page 2) - although having read through it, I think the ability to create copyright-infringing characters was the least laughable part of the lawsuit.

thanks for the link - interesting :)
you know that is truly the spirit of the land of infinite possibilities ;)
Seriously, I would be ashamed to death filing such a ridicolous case.
I mean sure, they have the right to make sure, that no foreign company is using their intellectual property, though I have to say, I don´t really see what they can gain by that (except damaging another company) - as they say, copying is the truest form of admiration ;) and as far as I recall they did not have their own online game at that time yet. It would have been way more intelligent trying to get their foot in the door and try to come to an arrangement, which propbably would have ended in a Marvel City of Heroes.

But anyway, do they really believe, that they will get bonus points when fans figure out, that they made it up and their own people where responsible for causes those incidents? That is so dumb, that you might think they only can walk upright because the air in their head keeps them that way! And than trying to weasel out of their own trap with dozens of laws, which all do not apply? What are they hiring for those kind of things? Priests? Because believing, that a lawyer would act so stupid, that they can get through with that, you have to have good faith in higher powers.

Well it is way behind us now, so nothing to think or worry about

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:36 pm

I know about that, but still don't buy it. Every CoX video I search contains stuff like this. A simple search for their transformation emotes is a rip off of popular characters..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKvRJHUHVqE
Powers rangers in CoX, X-men, etc. I am not saying you did that, but not buying the 90%. It is always 90% ;)

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:39 am

I know about that, but still don't buy it. Every CoX video I search contains stuff like this. A simple search for their transformation emotes is a rip off of popular characters..
Powers rangers in CoX, X-men, etc. I am not saying you did that, but not buying the 90%. It is always 90% ;)
it really doesn´t matter if that is for real or not - for me it is in that matter believable, because big companies work that way - they destroy possible oponents, before they can get big enough to cause trouble

And the 90 % is like you say a fillword for most people. It is just saying, that you barely ever see anybody having a stolen creation. And that is what any player can tell you.
I only played 4 years but I can count on my fingers how often I met somebody who had a character out of a comic-book (and I know about comic books I collect them since 25 years and have a portfolio which goes through all major american comic book companies).
Actually I would have been ashamed (and I believe a lot people think like me) if I would have been so uncreative as to use an existing character with a platform like CoH and most of the times it was commonly known, that people having an existing character we should inform CoH about them.

As I started here, for some it was fun (and why not) trying out, if they could create their favorite comic character and see how the powers looked like CoH could mimik - and it is nice to see in your video how much possibilities CoH gave us to have creative freedom, but it is not what a normal player was looking for (and in the very few cases I saw somebody doing it, they just entered the game, fought a few thieves and deleted them again).

About those Videos at youtube - they ain´t worth nothing for your argument, so you better forget them. Those Videos are nothing like a drop of water in the CoH-Ocean so to speak. For anybody making a Video you can find a thousand (or more) players who did not. So you might think, that CoH was full of rip off characters if you like but everybody who played it, knows that it is not true. So you can believe that or not.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:12 pm

About those Videos at youtube - they ain´t worth nothing for your argument, so you better forget them. Those Videos are nothing like a drop of water in the CoH-Ocean so to speak. For anybody making a Video you can find a thousand (or more) players who did not. So you might think, that CoH was full of rip off characters if you like but everybody who played it, knows that it is not true. So you can believe that or not.
But many small drops of water can cause or lead to massive flooding, and that is what I see whenever I search CoX. Popular comic or anime characters are scattered throughout Youtube simply by doing a simple search for CoX videos.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:04 pm

But many small drops of water can cause or lead to massive flooding, and that is what I see whenever I search CoX. Popular comic or anime characters are scattered throughout Youtube simply by doing a simple search for CoX videos.
Who’s characters were made just for the videos. Have they been running around live on the server someone would have reported them - And they would’ve been generalized.

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:29 pm

I could be wrong, but I think the term is genericised or generic'd and not "generalized".

I freely admit I may be wrong, it's just that generic'd is the term widely used on the Protector server when either a character's image or name was wiped and made generic by the moderators. Different servers may have commonly used different words for these actions.
When you defund the police, the terrorists win.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:57 pm

I believe you’re right. I just didn’t know the spelling…

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”