CoH Revival Project: SEGS

Taivas

CoH Revival Project: SEGS

Postby Taivas » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:33 am

So, I'm not sure if this has been discussed on the forum yet. Recently I was browsing the CoH subreddit when I saw a post from a guy talking about a project called SEGS (Super Entity Game Server). Apparently, a team of coders and testers have been slowly tackling the CoH code and engineering their own local servers. They eventually plan to have fully functioning CoH servers with combat, missions, NPCs, pretty much the game we know and love(d).

I've used their tutorial to install and run a local server using my IP address and I can confirm that this does work, although it is in VERY early stages and you can't really move or do anything substantial. The fact that you can connect to a localised server and be in Atlas Park with the game recognising that and not throwing you out immediately, crashing, or attempting to update through an NCSoft patch is amazing to see. It's baby steps, but it's still progression.

I don't know about the legality of this, especially considering NCSoft still owns the intellectual property, I think? In any case, the SEGS team claim to be different from Paragon Chat in that they are aiming for reviving the game and allowing people to host their own servers, or join existing ones, rather than merely running a chat client through a CoH environment. This could be what some of us have hoped for, or it could be a pipe dream. Either way, I'm keeping an eye on it.

Here's a video from someone at SEGS explaining what it is and how it differs from Paragon Chat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMDJYvmxQLM

Like I said, you can find extra information on the CoH subreddit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/

This isn't to take attention away from SoH, of course. I'm personally excited to see SoH thrive. I just know there are also people out there like me who would love to return to CoH too if at all possible some day.

Golden Ace

Re: CoH Revival Project: SEGS

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:42 am

one person has mentioned it before and I saw the video. they still have a long way to go. I wish them well. and if they get it up and running I'll certainly give it a try.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

SteelR4t

Postby SteelR4t » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:05 am

One of the guys doing the development also posted on the CoH Survivors group on facebook and I also was concerned about the possibility of those guys being sent strongly worded "Cease and Desist" letters from NCSoft Legal. This was his response:

"We’re not using any code from NCSoft in the server. The client and elements in there are being used as they were distributed by NCSoft. No modification of the actual client is is happening. We’re basically doing the same thing Paragon Chat and Star Wars Galaxies Emu did. So if they come for one, they’ll come for all. But it’s been 6 years since the Shutdown and 2 years since PChat started. And Galaxies has been going longer then both. And Sony has no issues. I’m pretty confident we’re good."

They also have a twitter feed and it seems they're making rather rapid progress now.

https://twitter.com/segscode

Colour me cautiously hopeful!

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:04 am

I think only a handful of lawyers really understand the murky depths of copyright law. Having said that, I'd be very surprised if NCSoft weren't keeping a close eye on these projects. As long as they're not making commercial gain or damaging NCSoft's reputation or competing with them, it's probably not deemed worth the effort or cost of going after them. Who knows what the future holds though. If they suddenly decided to try making another superhero type game they probably wouldn't tolerate the competition of someone using their own IP against them!
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Taivas

Postby Taivas » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:39 am

From what I've read, it seems like the Korean MMO market has no interest in the superhero genre. It's all about fantasy/anime/moba stuff. I hope that's true, and I hope it means that they'll leave us to quietly enjoy what's left of CoH if/when it becomes playable again.

I'm watching the CoH subreddit, SEGS on Twitter, and SEGS on YouTube with careful anticipation!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:04 am

I am concerned for them. Corporations place the value of their IP on their books as a major asset. They defend their assets vigorously, whether they plan to exploit any particular asset or not, in part because they do not want to re-state the book value of their firm.

It is an interesting project. I see they have one video going back to 2012, before COH closed. They've been working on this for a long time.

Red5

Postby Red5 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:38 pm

I think only a handful of lawyers really understand the murky depths of copyright law...
Just a thought...maybe we/they should get in touch with Leonard French https://www.youtube.com/user/ljfrench009 who happens to be a copyright attorney and youtuber. This kind of thing would be right up his alley.
...reporting in.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:25 pm

From what I've read, it seems like the Korean MMO market has no interest in the superhero genre. It's all about fantasy/anime/moba stuff. I hope that's true, and I hope it means that they'll leave us to quietly enjoy what's left of CoH if/when it becomes playable again.

I'm watching the CoH subreddit, SEGS on Twitter, and SEGS on YouTube with careful anticipation!
Pretty much the gist of it, superheroes are our things. Spikey hair is their thing and does well outside of Asian. The legal aspect? No idea, but NC is not going to make much money off of a dated version of the already dated CO. I don't see why ppl would play CoX when they can play CO.

Taivas

Postby Taivas » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:50 pm

Pretty much the gist of it, superheroes are our things. Spikey hair is their thing and does well outside of Asian. The legal aspect? No idea, but NC is not going to make much money off of a dated version of the already dated CO. I don't see why ppl would play CoX when they can play CO.
It's personal preference. I've got a level 40 on Champions Online, did some RPing over there for a while, but aside from the great character creator and the passable visuals, CO doesn't hold a candle to CoH for me. Their community is split between the hardcore PvPers, the RPers, the casuals, and anyone in between who isn't quite sure where they belong but want to play. I found myself soloing almost the entirety of the game with no real passion or excitement about any of it.

CoH's combat always satisfied me. It wasn't twitchy and fast like a shooter, it wasn't too slow and sluggish like a turn-based RPG. It was somewhere in the middle, the Goldilocks of MMO experiences. I don't even need to mention that CoH's community was inviting, helpful, and friendly. You usually didn't struggle to find a team to tag along with.

I'm hoping you're right about NCSoft losing any interest in an ancient MMO that hasn't made them any money in almost six years. They shouldn't care at this point what the fans decide to do with what resources they can muster. But who knows what the suits at the top of their company think... They could be heartless, soul-sucking vampires devoid of any compassion.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:37 pm

I'm hoping you're right about NCSoft losing any interest in an ancient MMO that hasn't made them any money in almost six years. They shouldn't care at this point what the fans decide to do with what resources they can muster. But who knows what the suits at the top of their company think... They could be heartless, soul-sucking vampires devoid of any compassion.
You never can tell. I think part of the problem is the way the system works, especially in the US. Where, as I understand it, if you don't protect your IP with legal action, you can lose it. No company wants that to happen.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Taivas

Postby Taivas » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:15 pm

Does anyone know if it would cost NCSoft any substantial money to enforce legal action against people attempting to revive CoH and use its IP? If that's the case, perhaps they wouldn't waste their cash on something so frivolous. What are the chances that they'd go in for the proverbial kill on this?

DomiDayglow

Postby DomiDayglow » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:39 am

NCsoft will probably take notice because, to their thinking, if someone does it for one old game with no consequences? It might encourage others to do it with another game. Then another after that. It would sort of be a potential snowball effect that accountants couldn't ignore.

It would be fine to be on the server for a while, but private servers are well, at the mercy of the whims of the owner. The other thing is that there wouldn't be much of a promise of 'new' content. It would be fun to be back in CoH for a while, but with nothing new coming? And the same content that everyone has seen before? I worry, after a few months of servers like this, if people will begin to see it more as a novelty since all the content is old. Then visit them only rarely.

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:40 am

to your "question"
I looked at CO and wasn´t impressed - CO has a cartoon style which I never could and wanted to get used of. I don´t know if you played CoH back in the old days but when I started with it I always loved the more "realistic" type of approach to character visualization and I would say, there are quite a few people who feel the same. CO may has its advantages in some things and a more progressed I won´t deny that but even the character creator and power set creator does give me kind of eye cancer (sorry if I hurt somebodys feeling, it is just to cartoonish for me). So people might want to play CoX for two reasons (as I would picture them)
Reason 1: because they prefer the optics of the old game
Reason 2: Because they have emotional and sentimental connections to that game and just might want to use it to go back memory lane - its not like one would take it back as the Number One MMO as in the old days - that surely won´t happen - but it can be fun to just try out the old powers as they used to look
Possible Reason 3: And you never know - if they go on like they mentioned in that one article between the lines, maybe one could eventually go a little bit into the codes and even change the looks and names of places and characters - and now picture that: having your own (though old and small) world which you can completely personalize
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

SteelR4t

Postby SteelR4t » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:47 am

Reason 3: because they want more than one quest path to level cap

CO could be so much better than it is and I'm frankly amazed its lasted as long as it has with such pitifully minimal development.

Taivas

Postby Taivas » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:44 am

Reason 3: because they want more than one quest path to level cap

CO could be so much better than it is and I'm frankly amazed its lasted as long as it has with such pitifully minimal development.
I agree. It appears to have been put into maintenance mode a while ago. There's not a lot of refreshing content to chew on, instead we get marketplace items to purchase with real currency. I'm particularly disgusted with the whole lock box feature where you either have to grind for keys or you can buy them. There's also an option to level your character through the marketplace. It shows both a lack of care from the developers and a desperation to suck dry the wallets of their playerbase before the game dies an eventual slow, painful death.

Still, the character creator is pretty cool...

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”