Share your Favourite CoH Moments

Flagwaver

Re: Share your Favourite CoH Moments

Postby Flagwaver » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:07 pm

My favorite moment was level 6. I got hover and spent an agonizing long time to get to the top of the Atlas Park map just to look around. Then, after getting my fill, I shut off the power. My stomach lurched and clenched as I fell. I hit the ground, was taken down to a single hit point, and felt the rush.

Oh, then there was the fun of flying around King's Row opening presents and spawning Winter Lords for the heck of it. I think I got twelve up at one point before the chat window began to explode with people cursing my entire lineage.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

A bullet may have a name on it, but 20 pounds of C4 is more of a "to whom it may concern."

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:42 pm

My favorite moment was level 6. I got hover and spent an agonizing long time to get to the top of the Atlas Park map just to look around. Then, after getting my fill, I shut off the power. My stomach lurched and clenched as I fell. I hit the ground, was taken down to a single hit point, and felt the rush.

Oh, then there was the fun of flying around King's Row opening presents and spawning Winter Lords for the heck of it. I think I got twelve up at one point before the chat window began to explode with people cursing my entire lineage.
LOL Flagwaver!

I remember once we were going to a really tall building in Steel Canyon and jumping off the top! I was on a 50 Fire/Energy Tank, with like 2200 hit points. I jumped off, hit the ground with one hit point left.

Then a level 11 Outcast got the one in 20 chance, and hit me for one point of damage...

My friends and I laughed for double digit minutes!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Mr_Axe

Postby Mr_Axe » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:15 am

Can't remember which zone but I was playing some rare pvp. A flyer was hovering high, directly above my team. Bit of a cocky move. They can't have been paying attention when I flew straight up, hit them with air superiority and knocked them down into the middle of my team. What happened next wasn't pretty lol. :lol:

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:14 am

Speaking of PvP, on Justice there was not much non-arena PvP. if you saw a villain in a PvP zone you would typically ignore them. Except in Warburg. THEN the kid gloves were off! My Ice/Rad controller friend and I went into Warburg looking for a fight, and we ran into a pair of Fire Brutes. Well, I jumped in and started beating on them, and a Stalker came out of nowhere and one-shotted my friend. He respawned, but the hospital was a ways away. So I Foot Stomped, which stunned the Stalker, and then KO Blowed him, sending him to the hospital. I said some cockemamee thing about vengeance and then started fighting the Brutes. It was a long fight, but I finally took one of them out. As he crumpled to the ground I thought, "Oh shit, he is going to try and stun me with Rise of the Phoenix." (by that time I had level capped two fire tanks, so I knew the tricks) So I hit Unstoppable and took a big purple! He hit his RotP which did not phase me, and then I stunned the other guy! One KO Blow later he was heading to the medic. That just left the guy who tried to RotP me. After a short fight he went down, but he saw the Unstoppable and knew I would be a sitting duck when it crashed, so he tried to use a rez. My icon was flashing then, so I wasted no time putting him 6 feet under! I flew away from the scene, but when the crash hit, I ran out of endurance, had no blues and hit the ground and died...

Great fun!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Coyote

Postby Coyote » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:09 pm

I got the badge for the head of the Hydra in the Sewer Trial, by being Stunned by a Rikti Drone that saw through my Group Invisibility, shot me, and Stunned me, breaking Hover so I fell onto the Hydra's head. But I was still invisible, so it didn't aggro on me, and I got the badge by literally faceplanting onto its head (down to minimal health after the fall), getting up, and running to hide before some other Drone got frisky.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:42 pm

One of my .... One of many was standing on the steps in front of atlas where everyone zoned in ..... and greeting them with a warm welcome and a question regarding there name .... got a wide verity of responses as you well could imagine ... but very enjoyable
Last edited by Eulb on Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

kinglucus

Postby kinglucus » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:03 am

I remember first entering Atlas and running around thinking I was "helping" by attacking mobs that a hero was already attacking. One day later I'm attacking a mob to get the last bit of XP to level up and a new player runs in and takes my mob out... karma.

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:37 am

- The first time I did the FF mission. It was the first real challenging door mission and there were so many places where us noobs could die. There was a real sense of accomplishment when it was done.
I think the most dangerous part of that mission was just getting to the door. There were some dangerous, non-level appropriate places that door would spawn.

Some favorite moments from my own memory:

Sole survivor of a cascade wipe on the first mission of Tin Mage, fighting the AV after the third (?) Malta ambush. I think a brute who was off-tanking also survived the Malta, but died when his Unstoppable ran out. I distinctly remember chasing Director 11 all around the map, tripping I don't even know how many of his invisible mines while my team lollygagged back from the hospital. Not sure how long that was, but I know it was longer than SoW's recharge, 'cause I used it twice. Fortunately I kept the good Director at under 10% health so he went down fast once everyone did get back. Good times.

------

All-scrapper Hess TF's. We did these regularly on Guardian. Not speed runs, but well under an hour. Rule 1: no stealth - we're scrappers not stalkers. Rule 2: no witnesses - if it's alive, it shouldn't be. Rule 3: no whining - take it like a scrapper and get back up. Complete chaos with the "team" generally fighting on at least 4 fronts, and clearing all those useless skippable tunnels.

------

Okay, so these 8 Storm/Energy defenders go into a warehouse in Croatoa...
This was a themed team, obviously. Everyone was required to take (and use) Gale. Learning how to angle properly to knock things into walls, and how far each kb was likely to fly was key to actually getting things done. And then we ran the first mission against the Cabal. So much storm, so much kb. Glorious.

So how much longer until this game is ready?

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:18 pm

First Hami wipe, on a char that needed the explore badge.. flew right above him and dropped through him. Managed to land on the badge alive for a split second before dying, so it counted.

Playing a character who was supposed to be insane, with storm control powers. Throwing tornadoes at the worst possible times, giggling like a madman as enemies went flying and bouncing along the walls, and allies went chasing. Only played her with friends who wouldn't hate me forever for it :D
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:30 pm

Playing a character who was supposed to be insane, with storm control powers. Throwing tornadoes at the worst possible times, giggling like a madman as enemies went flying and bouncing along the walls, and allies went chasing. Only played her with friends who wouldn't hate me forever for it :D
Good times *sniff*
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

E_Orrbon

Postby E_Orrbon » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:48 am

<QR> OMG man ... Getting Hover for the 1st time at lvl 6. Even though it was slower than molasses in the winter, I REALLY felt like a superhero.

Going into sewers missions with my storm/NRG corruptor (or devastator) and keeping mobs stuck in a corner with all the KB, while the melee toons beat the crap outta them.
@RageOfAngels, Virtue server. 7 year vet.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:23 am

Taking down something big.

lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:32 am

Don't know if I shared this elsewhere or not.

I was running a Terra Volta trial while playing my cowboy tanker, Harbinger of Moo (probably back in 2012). The team was doing great and we got to one of the inevitable lulls between Skyraider spawns. After waiting for a minute or so one of my teammates said something like, "I guess Tom Petty said it best". Obviously, they were referring to a Tom Petty song and/or title, but not being a big fan of TP or 'TP and The Heartbreakers' in that moment I hadn't a clue which one they were referring to. Dying to say anything, I went with my favorite TP song and devised something from it. So I said, "You mean we really don't have to live like a refugee?" My comment got a snicker and then my teammate informed me that "The waiting was the hardest part."

So from that day forward every time I hear either of those two Tom Petty songs I'm reminded of CoH and that Terra Volta trial. Sorry for necro-ing the thread, but I heard 'Refugee' on the radio yesterday and I really got a hankerin to play CoH when I remembered that trial. Since I couldn't play CoH I figured I'd just share the story instead.

:D
Time to let Ol' Painless out of the bag.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:45 am

Sorry for necro-ing the thread, but I heard 'Refugee' on the radio yesterday and I really got a hankerin to play CoH when I remembered that trial. Since I couldn't play CoH I figured I'd just share the story instead.

:D
No need to be sorry. Thank you for sharing that with us.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Postby Avatar PDM » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:18 am

I remember meeting a couple playing with them (and a few more) a few Hollows Missions (wasn´t necessary anymore because my Defender had enough lvls too be somewhere else, but still I kind of liked it, meeting people and helping them levelling through the Hollows. And man, they were fun :). After a while we three were the only ones left and I changed into my Scrapper. And they were good - we moved through the mobs like a knife through hot butter while still chatting about all kind of stuff :). Needless to say we decided to meet again. This time again I had my Defender with me and a few more players on board - and you know I have no idea how I triggered it (maybe polite people who look out for others where not maskulin enough for that guy - don´t know) but suddenly one guy started flirting with me (Ok my Defender was female - but so what, created her after my female Healer I created for my Shortstories) and those two who knew me already where having their laughs without end (knowing that I am a married male sitting next to my wife in the living room - thank god she is not so good with english - otherwise I would have had some explanations to give ;) ). Ok I have to admit, though I didn´t play around I didn´t tell him about his mistake neither (suddenly thinking about that I kind of having a bad conscience letting him make a fool out of himself, sorry I mentioned I have a mean streak sometimes ;) )

And of course another one of my very cherished memories, where when I created my first base and invited the first people in there :).
That couple I already mentioned - we decided after a short while to form a team and since I already was looking forward to that since I really wanted to try out that base creation system :roll: . So I worked on it for a while and actually the team stayed out of it, until I told them to check it out. And then the big day came and we went in there and I showed them, what I created and how I filled it - and we got stuck there. Instead of doing the mission we meant to, we were just walking around chatting about architecture and art :).
And like that it happened pretty often later too - we were just standing in the meeting room around this huge round table and where exchanging all kind of news, chatting about families and working stuff - it was the greatest time one could have - and that although we weren´t having any action but just being there for each other in any aspect which were on our minds
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”