Share your Favourite CoH Moments

JestersGhost

Share your Favourite CoH Moments

Postby JestersGhost » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:50 pm

I'm putting this in off-topic since it's technically nothing to do with SoH :)

I've seen a few stories shared in odd spots around the boards, but I figured it'd be nice to have one place for them, to avoid cluttering up random other threads :D And of course, who doesn't love to reminisce about the best game ever? :D

Here's a few of mine to start us going -

Grouping with a character who was apparently a fairie of some kind - and refused to touch the ground. Spent the entire time with hover on, and if she was ever knocked down would complain about getting dirty, and needing a bath, etc. Between mobs she'd chase my targeting drone around my head...

First time fighting Frostfire. Well, okay, first time discovering the ice-slides... :P The entire group spent easily more time on the slides than we did actually fighting through the rest of the mission :D

Repeatedly tanking the entire mob on my ill/storm/psy controller after everyone else died on an 8-man team, TP'ing everyone back as they returned from the hospital. I wasn't killing anyone, but between my powers and my soft-capped defense they sure as hell weren't killing me :D

One of my first times in a PvP zone (not long after CoV release) with my mind/nrg dominator. Got jumped by a scrapper, and immediately feared him, then pummelled his toggles off (that mechanic was later changed), and then stunned him before finishing him off. Was very satisfying to go toe-to-toe with a scrapper and have him calling for his friends for help within seconds :D
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Blue Djinn

Re: Share your Favourite CoH Moments

Postby Blue Djinn » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:40 am

I will have to think about this. Man!

People forget there were some balancing issues in pvp. I don't think people really (devs AND players) knew what they were getting into. I am not a pvper and I do some crazy builds no matter the game so the same kind of thing would happen to me when I got jumped. I guess I am like the crazy guy on the subway, everyone ended up leaving me alone till stuff got nerfed.

Love the FF story, I would do that just to go ice skating!

Winged supers... so many varieties. There was a SG that was like Beetle Squadron or something so cool!

My Illusion / Storm was survivor guy too; only my phantom army and doppelganger generally could keep stuff busy till I could get my spectral up and keep them paralyzed with feeeeeeeeaaaaar!

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:15 am

I have a lot of fun stories about CoH, but I'll list my favorite.

We are fighting Tyrant with a 6 man team. No problem, easy peasy until we get to fighting Tyrant. I'm the tank so I'm insulting his mother and throwing KO Blows whenever I can. But then I notice my health is going down much faster than it should. I see the healer is just standing there, and then disappears! DISCO! So I start chomping on inspirations as we wear him down. The others are dropping insps on me, but eventually I'm out. I have no choice,

I go UNSTOPPABLE. The disco globe goes crazy, and I'm awash with recovery and regen goodness. We keep on working on Tyrant. I get a PM asking for a reinvite from the healer, which I do. We work him down to about 30%, and then I see the Unstoppable icon flashing, 10 seconds to the crash! I still have agro, and move away from him, and then it hits. no endurance, and all of my toggles drop. 10% health and one blow will take me out.

Suddenly the Ice Blaster fires Freeze Ray, and its the one in 50 chance to cast a hold on an AV! He is locked up in ice, and I see someone dropped a big endurance inspiration on me. I use it, and get toggled up before he breaks out. Just at that moment the healer catches up to us and hits me with a big heal. A minute later Tyrant is on the ground and we rescue Statesman.

Now, couldn't that whole incident have come right out of a comic book? That is what I love about this incident. It would have been a plot worthy of a front line comic book, and of course, CoH was based on the comics!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:56 pm

Hummmm...... so many .... i was a young hero and just was able to go into perez park for the first time and just getting to the gate there was tank agro-ing the whole zone and well it was a free for all and sooo much fun right at the gate WOW
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Wing Leader

Postby Wing Leader » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:21 pm

The Accidental PVPers

Our small group of five regular players created an all-Defender team and chewed through missions like crazy. At one point we were in Warburg for one of those rare PvE missions where the mission door happened to be in a PvP zone. Most of us weren't into PvP and had no intention of seeking out conflict with any villains in the zone.

So we finish the mission and exit the zone, and right there at the door are a handful of player villains, gathering for their own PvE mission at the same door. We spent about ten seconds debating among each other over whether or not to attack. And even though none of us had any real PvP experience, we decided to go for it. We buffed up like we would against any PvE mob and began attacking.

It was a massacre. They never stood a chance. I don't think they knew what hit them, and even if they had decided to put up a real fight, it wouldn't have mattered. With all our stacked buffs, we were accustomed to taking out AVs in under 30 seconds. It was a total thrill. It was also the one and only time we participated in PvP as a team.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:24 pm

Hummmm...... so many .... i was a young hero and just was able to go into perez park for the first time and just getting to the gate there was tank agro-ing the whole zone and well it was a free for all and sooo much fun right at the gate WOW
Hmm was that tank me? That was one of my favorite things to do with my Invul tanker! Gladstrike on Justice...
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:49 am

Alas i don't think it was you Gladdog ... for i played exclusively on liberty ... but knowing that you did the same on other servers , then a lot of peeps enjoyed the part of COH also

Taivas

Postby Taivas » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:06 am

Repeatedly doing the low level CoV bank vault mission on different toons was always a highlight for me. Make an alt, find a PUG, quickly grind to level 6-8, BANK VAULT TIME. I loved that mission, it felt so villainous.

I also liked to repeatedly do the Terra Volta TF. It was probably my favourite TF aside from the Imperious TF (which was incredible). Obviously, as the OP said, Frostfire has to be mentioned too. Those ice slides are legendary.

Of course, getting the cape at level 20 was a big deal. Completing that mission and making my way back to Atlas Park to hand it in was exciting, but not as much as dashing to ICON in Steel Canyon. It was the same with auras at 30.

I remember when I first played the game as a young teen, every power combination wowed me. Using Gale from Storm Summoning to throw enemies backwards was awesome. Using Energy Melee or Energy Blast powers for the same purpose was also great fun.

Like a lot of people, I've never been that into PvP. At some stage I found myself in Recluse's Victory on my WP/SS Tank and... I was shocked at how easy it was to just stand there and take hits. I wasn't built for PvP at all, I was slotted with some pretty basic stuff by any advanced player's standards, yet there I was screwing around and watching people struggle to take me out. That was a good laugh.

To this day I think CoH is the only game I've ever attempted to spend an entire weekend playing without sleep. I managed to stay up all night on a Friday evening, then most of Saturday afternoon (using Red Bull and coffee), but by Saturday evening I was crashing. I never was good at missing sleep

St0rmbringer

Postby St0rmbringer » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:29 pm

I just LOVED the Baby New Year mission.

I had a DB/Inv Scrapper (Pscythe) who I would run through there until nothing was standing.
I found more rare drops there than anywhere else. Sometimes 3 or 4 per season.
I could also use it as an XP farm for SG mates who needed a few levels.

Penniguin

Postby Penniguin » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:10 pm

I LOVED Halloween on CoH. You and a bunch of friends would put costumes on and go door to door, trick or treating. Would it be a treat or would it be a fight, then everyone in the group would open a doors that were close together and it would be a free for all. So much fun. But one my best memories was changing the SG base around. I didn't realize my husband was in the SG base when I deleted the room he was in. I hear, "what the....." and look over at his computer to see he scrapper in a constant, perpetual state of falling in white nothing-ness. The more he tried to figure out was going on, the harder I laughed. Then him yelling at me, "its not funny" when he did figure out what I did. And of course, I laughed even more. Now we both laugh about it.
I am gonna need to stop for coffee before we head out for the battle. 8-)

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:09 pm

ONE of my fondest moments was i had just got into the game under the atlas and was walking round looking at all the toons that others have created and i got a tell from a toon ... " HealthCare" ...greeting me and she started a conversation with me . I felt very welcome and excited that any one would even say hi to me. Im projection my enthusiasm toward the "Kick start"and i definitely want to meet as meny peeps as possible and team with all my new friends that i'm meeting here in form ( wow whats it going to be like in alpha/beta ????

kinglucus

Postby kinglucus » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:30 am

I remember how laggy it would get when everyone was doing the Invasion raid, i would stand in the centre as a healer and just spam everything.

What was the giant Octopus monster in the water? i remember flying around as my blaster and seeing the call over global chat and seeing everyone rush over.

I remember getting hover for the first time (i had to get hover before i could get flying) and taking an hour to just "fly" up one of the buildings feeling so proud!

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:39 pm

Thinking I could superjump off Luska's head. I didn't even reach it, she just swatted me out of the sky...
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Bilious Slick

Postby Bilious Slick » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:26 pm

Did any of you know about Kheldian Fridays? My main was a Warshade, and when I first heard the idea of an all-Kheldian group running Task Forces, taking down Giant Monsters, and other fun things, I was immediately enamored. I'd never been in any big groups before (anxiety is fun - the only reason I asked to be invited in the first place was because I accidentally hit "enter" instead of "backspace"), so it seemed daunting to me at the time. My favorite moment is when I joined my first Kheldian Fridays group and asked about strategy, and the reply I got was "just follow the chaos"; as silly as this may sound, I had never felt so simultaneously relieved and excited, and nothing has made me feel the same way since then.

Codex

Postby Codex » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:07 pm

Great topic!

Here are mine:

- The first time I stepped into AP and saw a fire/fire tank use super jump. The trail of flames was amazing and I knew I was hooked.

- The first time I did a respec, I played with two blaster named Mary Kate and Ashley (after the Olsen sister). They constantly typed in the chat box to each other and they sounded exactly how I would expect the two "sisters" would talked to each other. It was hilarious. Watching them talked to each other was more fun than the respect.

- The first time I finished a Hami raid, back in the days when we were still learning how to do it. It was such a sense of accomplishment.

- Having a casual in my SG say in chat how unbelievable it was that a piece of salvage he needed cost 5 million in the auction house. A bunch of use came on and said that was no big deal. We all volunteer to give him inf. I ended up giving him 100 million since I was closest to him. He was so happy to get that but to us hardcore players, it was no big deal.

- The first time I did the FF mission. It was the first real challenging door mission and there were so many places where us noobs could die. There was a real sense of accomplishment when it was done.

- After playing the game for 5+ years and FINALLY realizing that in the Hollows, you run away from the smoke so you don't wake the stone (or was it fire) mobs. Big fail on my part!

- Soloing AVs with my ill/rad. That was tons of fun.

- Finally, a shout out to all the great people I met in my SG, the Wildcards on Triumph.
aka Backer 68

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”