What is the Starboard Lounge for?

Dakosan

What is the Starboard Lounge for?

Postby Dakosan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:08 pm

I was strolling on by, so I decided to walk in and see what's up....

Can I get a drink or appetizer or something?

Flagwaver

Re: What is the Starboard Lounge for?

Postby Flagwaver » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:52 pm

**hands you a whisky and a conundrum**

If the bow is straight up, the stern is straight down, and there is no top or bottom to the ship, which side of the compass points toward the starboard?
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

A bullet may have a name on it, but 20 pounds of C4 is more of a "to whom it may concern."

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:54 pm

The side opposite port, of course.

-Griff

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:42 pm

The side the stars are on.

Dakosan

Postby Dakosan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:04 am

* Drinks it down in one gulp *

Starboard is a direction?

I thought it was like a surf board or somethin'

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:20 am

Strolling by an seeing the lights on , i enter to drop off a batch of moonshine i just stilled , and over hearing the compass discussions .... and I thought you don't see that the arch magnetic collider field ... sets up the north / south direction as the magnetic field circles around the arch and centers in the middle and while facing in the direction that the magnetic field enters the arch ( that's North ) then west is all ways left . Your guys are drinking to much ... enjoy the new batch of Moonshine its peach.
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:11 am

Seriously, Starboard is right side, which makes sense in a game about right and wrong. That will likely not translate well into other languages!

The easy way to remember which is which? Port has 4 letters, and left has 4 letters. They are the same side, port = left. The 'other' side has more than 4 letters, whether you are talking about ships or whatever.

And can I get a glass of Port in the Starboard lounge?
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Dakosan

Postby Dakosan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:18 am

* shakes head *

We're on a boat?

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:51 am

* shakes head *

We're on a boat?
LOL a space boat! I think most peeps assume that a space fleet would use Naval terminology for a lot of stuff; fore, aft, port, starboard, keel haul the bastard, and so-on.

"AVAST YE LAND LUBBERS!! YOU GOT YER SPACE LEGS YET??"

Flagwaver

Postby Flagwaver » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:56 pm

The problem is that the bow is straight up and the stern is straight down. In which case, the port and starboard would be unknownable without knowing the physical top and bottom of the ship in transit.

I would love to see the "Pocket D" type club be called the Starboard Lounge and be located in the middle of the ship somewhere.

A bullet may have a name on it, but 20 pounds of C4 is more of a "to whom it may concern."

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:05 am

seeing the confusing looks on all the patrons faces as i leave the the starboard lounge. I shake my head and say to my self " self they need more spirits "
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Flagwaver

Postby Flagwaver » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:17 am

seeing the confusing looks on all the patrons faces as i leave the the starboard lounge. I shake my head and say to my self " self they need more spirits "
"We already had that problem and I don't want to see them back," Flagwaver says from the bar. "Thankfully, one of the waitresses new a guy who knew a shaman to exorcise them. Oh, and don't try hitting on her, she packs a mean punch with that bionic arm of hers."

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:40 am

The drunk former Marine at the bar overheard the conversation about port and stabberd, and unpolitely jumped into the conversation (Marines are not known for their political correctness, after all!). He grabs a sandwich off the bar and Karate chops it into a narrow triangle shape. he starts moving it with the tip forward. "The point is the bow, or fore, part of the ship." He points at the back side and says, "This is the engines, the aft side of the ship." He then gets a little unbalanced and points at the bottom, "This is where the loading docks are, this is the keel. So the port is the left side of the sandwich, and the stabberd is the right." He drops the sandwich in a big mess on the plate and gets up to waddle off to his quarters. "Sorry about yer sandwich." And then he leaves.

Flagwaver

Postby Flagwaver » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:54 am

Flagwaver walks into the lounge groggily. He walks up to the bar and grumbles something. You aren't sure, but it could be cookie, possibly coffee. The bar-tending droid pours a muddy black substance that looks like steaming tar. He takes a sip and consciousness returns to his zombie-like visage.

The now alive veteran looks at GladDog and nods. He them pulls a bottle out from behind the bar and sets it on the polished top.

"Bow," he says pointing at the top of the bottle. "Stern," he says pointing at the bottom of the bottle. "Where port, 'n starboard."

You can tell that the coffee hasn't quite revived all of his brain, but enough to get his point across.

Penniguin

Postby Penniguin » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:07 pm

*seeing some activity in the Starboard Lounge, Penniguin walks in, orders some coffee, sits down (on the port side), pulls out her knitting and takes it all in* She thinks to herself, "I really hope this FHS gets on its way soon, these Ya-hoos really need to get a day job. :roll: :)
I am gonna need to stop for coffee before we head out for the battle. 8-)

Return to “The Starboard Lounge”