NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Golden Ace

Re: short story based on Your Fantasy Book Title

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:00 pm

guess I go first.

The City of Night and Nightmare

Those who dwell within its walls call it the City of Night, long ago it had another name, but that was before darkness enshrouded the land in eternal night. None of them remember its original name, nor that it was the great legendary city of light shining on top of the proverbial hill. They have long forgotten that it was the worlds destination to gain fame and fortune. Nor do they recall the legendary wealth, power and abundance for all who lived within its walls.

Its reputation of lavishness drew people to it like moths to a flame. Its great walls protected its citizens while its armies marched across the lands putting down tyrants and spreading peace and prosperity to all. They do not remember, but I do, I also remember their sloth and hubris that allowed me to gain entrance to their city.

But that was long ago, and those same walls that kept its enemies at bay keep its citizens trapped within, fearful of what lies outside, fearful of the unknown. They no longer enjoy the legendary lavishness their ancestors enjoyed, now they fight over scraps in the streets, and those famous golden armies of old, my armies now, marching out to conquer spreading the darkness and my rule with them.

No one else remembers that great city, I remember, for I am Nightmare, and this is now my city, my capital, the City of Night and Nightmare.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:19 am

City of Shadow and Smoke

Sunset was what they had been waiting for, the moment of safety. Thoughout the day, they’d been hiding in little pockets in the earth, clawing their way down as far as possible. They’d been hiding under rocks and inside trees like common criminals. Anything to get away from the devastating scorching sunlight; artificial but just as damaging as the real thing.

But now their time had come.

Careful to stay under the horizon, they quietly formed in large groups. Not a word was spoken. There was no need. Every one of them knew their role and would strive to fulfil their duty, to the very end.

Violetta, their leader for now, looked down at the city with shuttered eyes. For too long the humans had hunted her and her kind. Since her untimely discovery on their 'ship' centuries ago, they’d seen her as a threat and total eradication of her kind was their cure. She’d tolerated the occasional loss but the final straw had come when she’d discovered her mate, chained to a post and left to burn slowly in the rising sun.

She had suppressed her fury at the time but they all knew that they would never have peace while humankind was nearby. She was well aware of their overwhelming numbers and superior technology, and those 'special' ones that had mysterious powers exceeding even hers. But she had one very important factor on her side, something that the humans understood all too well; you cannot kill what’s already dead.

When she was ready, her gaze shifted to the city gates and her scarlet eyes, dark and brooding, flashed briefly. Within seconds, a strange menacing darkness began to spread through the city. Barely perceptible at first, it soon smothered the artificial lights, leaving the streets in total darkness. It seeped into the homes of the humans with a chill that touched their very souls. She could feel the bewilderment coming from those she despised, she could hear their thoughts and she could sense their fear. Why weren't their computers helping them? What of the heroes? Where were they?

She glanced behind her. Hundreds of large catapults had been pulled all the way by huge tame animals of various kinds, avoiding detection by smothering themselves with the same stygian darkness that now enveloped the city way below. At her unspoken signal, the cauldrons on the catapults were lit, each one burning with an eerie blue flame.

She looked back down into the basin as she raised her arm. The city was already in shadow, now it was time for the smoke.
Last edited by lunawisp on Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:53 am

The House of Shadow, Wind and Smoke Part 1

The House of Shadow, Wind and Smoke - Tireen had to surpress the urge to laugh about that name. Of course, it was normal on Noctaraz that at the age of 17 one had to go through the trial of Houses. It was that ancient ceremony which decided about the future and fate of any Noctarian. A Ceremony, which through a combination of ancient magic and boring to death politics the Houses picked their share of each age group.

He was picked by this one! The Grand Mage explained him, that his spiritual essence and mental structure and of course his personality was so special, that he would not fit in any other house. Basically that meant, that since he did not belong to any of the big families and also not to any of the obvious stars of his class he was cast to that one House which did not really matter to anyone.

Just great! Of course, with his black curly hair, slender limbs and not too big build he was no one, who drew attention. Also he felt, that his facial features where a little bit too soft for his taste though he was pretty satisfied with his bright green eyes. Eyes so intense, that it seemed to others like he saw through all the shells right into the core of another persons being.

He liked it, how people sometimes became nervous and more and more uncomfortable when he was looking into their eyes, while talking to them. He sighed and shaked his head slightly. His youth was over since now 20 minutes and he was loosing time by standing around, contemplating about his exterior features.

A little bit annoyed with his display of emotion he pushed those thoughts away and pushed a button on his bracelet which opened his AI panel. a small display made of hard light appeared above his bracelet and with a short thought he made it open the city map.

It was time to find out, where his new center of occupation was located at. It took a moment and then the map began to move on the screen and showed him the route all the way through the city until it finally stopped at a certain place. There the map changed into a 3D feature of the building he was searching for, than went back to a full view of the city which showed the route from here to there. Again a short sigh escaped him.

That was getting better and better. No surprise the Headquarter of that house was the only one he never saw before. That place was so far away it was fair to doubt that it even was really considered part of the city. A fact that showed him again, how important his House was since the importance was shown by how close to the city center a house was located. Well, no sense in dwelling in self pity now - he would have to find his way and the bright side was in a House like that he had a good chance of not disappearing in insignificance because of the competition. Especially since he was only one of three people which where chosen by the House of Shadow - which they called themselves short - this year! Well, always look on the bright side.

to be continued...
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:41 pm

BOOK OF SHADOW STARS

Looking out the observation window 7 on FHS Justice city level 7 , and contemplating about all of the stars I can see , knowing the that each to these points of light is a monstrous power that one needs to be feared.

Thinking about the Planet that i just left ... the Heroes on the "FHS Justice " say I was rescued … "but I don't know ... liveing in the cestial orbital shield sence birth, and knowing that the close proximity location to the sun and any slight variation in shield tilt that the power of the sun would be vaporized all living on the COS.

The feeling of no more death lumming over head , no more sturggle to eat , and the ease of living ... this new life will be easy to get used to ...

except for this " Darkness" that the heroes call "Night "
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Postby Avatar PDM » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:16 am

The House of Shadow, Wind and Smoke Part 2

Tyreen finally reached the Alley in which the House was located and looked around. There it was at the far end of the Street. It was big and old. Its dark grey walls certainly had seen better times "I don´t know why, but suddenly I feel sooo depressed!" he sighed. Slowly he walked forward and tried to find something positive on the surroundings. And he tried really hard. But all there was here was grey, massive and dark! Completely unlike the city center with its filigrane structures in white and alabaster, sometimes mixed with light and warm colours and rainbow glass everywhere.

In that moment he reached the gate in front of the building and stopped to take another look. Yes, indeed it was old, dark, dusty and massive. The structures where broken by ornaments in regular distances and every floor up to the roof had statues of different types positioned at the corners and the windows. Even the roof seemed like made out of Stone. This was it then! His new home. The place which was supposed to be his future.

While he was still lost in his thoughts a door opened and a boy or young man appeared in the doorway "Hey there, everything all right? Come in, everyone is waiting for you!" he smiled to soften his words and Tyreen woke up from his daydream, a little bit startled about the sudden appearance. Did he stand around that obvious, that they knew he belonged here? "Sorry, I´ll be right there". He reached towards the handle of the gate, but before he could grab it the gate opened inwards and he went inside, still looking around. It was old but whoever was responsible for that place took care that it was clean. Everything here seemed to have is place and looked like it belonged there - absolutely fitting.

He passed the paved circle in front of the entrance and went up the stairs. The boy stepped aside to let him in and he entered the main hallway for the first time going into the entrance hall "You must be Tyreen, right? I am Garean and was chosen for this House like you today!" His eyes moved back to Garean and he looked at him more conciously. He was there today too? He wouldn´t have noticed. But then on the other hand he never really cared about other peoples business. His eyes wandered down and back up at the other newcomer. He was a little bit taller and had broader shoulders than him. His hair was in a slightly golden tone, which together with his open smile made him look kind of wrong in that place. "You are sure, they chose you to be in this house?" The other boy looked a little bit surprised "Of course, why should I be wrong?" Tyreen shrugged with his shoulders "Well, everything here looks kind of dark, even me. And you, well I guess you know how you look like yourself." Garean laughed "Oh, I belong here don´t worry - otherwise the house wouldn´t have let me in! You should be aware of that!" Tyreen looked a little bit annoyed but of course Garean was right. Houses like this are full of old magic which takes care of a lot of things. It was a simple and obvious fact about which he hasn´t thought and since he did not reply the other one turned around and with a short "Now follow me - The House Master is waiting!"

He went on through the entrance hall and through a long corridor. Tyreen was surprised, that the building did not look half as dark inside and gazed at the old flags, armors and paintings which where positioned along the hallway-walls. Finally he turned right and opened a door to let him. He went into a room which seemed to be a conference room. A big table was the center of the room and as he came in a dozen heads turned towards the entrance and looked at him. Garean followed him, closed the doors and took a place on the far right end of the table. Since he did not know what to do else, he followed him and took the place next to him. Since they both where first day apprentices here it shouldn´t be wrong taking that place. His eyes inspected the reaction of the adults around and it seemed alright. In that moment the man at the other end of the table stood up "Know that we are complete, let me and my fellow Masters welcome you all here in this venerable Walls of the House of Shadow, Wind and Smoke!"

to be continued... (next week ;) )
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:04 am

The House of Shadow, Wind and Smoke Part 3

The House of Shadow, Wind and Smoke! Tyreen eyes wandered from one Master to the next, trying to recall how they have been introduced. There was Grand Master Faoron of course, who was the 29th Grand Master and leader of the House. He was kind of surprised, that this house existed that long already since the Houses about which he was doing research in the last few months in hope they would pick him, where nowhere as old as this one. The oldest of his dream houses currently had their 18th Leader. Taking into account that the average Master would be at least 50 years around that would mean, that this House would be more than 500 years older than most of the others! Tyreen started to realize, that his new home did not just look old – it was old!

He went on to the next one. Master Maelian was the chronist and master of the Houses knowledge and of course its library. Master Tovair was the Swordsmaster and Master Daraan the Master of Spells, Artefacts and Magic. Opposite to him there was Master Sindral, the teacher and man who was responsible for all the apprentices. His eyes went on to his neighbor.

Tyreen was not sure, if the last one who was introduced did really fit as a Master in comparison to the other ones but he stayed silent. After all he was new here and did not want any trouble he could avoid. And if the caretaker had a title here then it was so. Master Varaok was officially responsible for all supply, the stables, the security and book keeping. What a combination!

The last one oft hat group was the Master Apprentice. The currently oldest apprentice, who was being taught in this House. He had a special position since technically he still was an apprentice but with extra benefits. Regarding the fact, that he was close to completion they obviously expected more from him and so he was responsible for making sure that the younger apprentices behaved right. Currently that meant taking care of the fooleries of close to three dozen young creative minds.

Two more Masters completed the group, which where not present for obvious reasons. One was their representative in the high council Lord Master Gleanar and the other one was the leader of their houses operational units Master Willain. They did not explain though of what those operations consisted of in which those units where active. Nearly against his will Tyreen got curious.

Curiousity, which he was very well aware of would not be satisfied for a while and so he tried to concentrate on something else. That something else turned out to be the third member of this years group. He met Garean already, so there was only one more left and gazed around the bouquet of plants which where positioned between him and that last apprentice.

He saw facial features with skin so light and even that it looked like chiseled out of marble, big almond formed ice-blue eyes, long white hair, soft, gently curved lips. While he tried to get the picture together their eyes met and she raised one of her perfectly formed brows. That moment, the picture finally formed a concious thought – the third member of their group was female! The discovery hit him like a sledgehammer! Garean smiled at him knowingly.

Tyreen forced his mind back to the Grand Master. He did not plan on making an idiot out of himself on his first day. But instinctively he realized that this was going to make his time a lot more complicated since normally female apprentices where chosen as part of the four major houses and not by one oft he smaller ones! She was most propably the only female apprentice in this building and if that wouldn´t be enough he was part of his group and therefore together with Garean he was responsible for her here in the House of Shadow, Wind and Smoke!

to be continued...
Last edited by Avatar PDM on Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:54 am, edited 4 times in total.

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:06 am

City of Shadow and Smoke

Sunset was what they had been waiting for, the moment of safety. Thoughout the day, they’d been hiding in little pockets in the earth, clawing their way down as far as possible. They’d been hiding under rocks and inside trees like common criminals. Anything to get away from the devastating scorching sunlight; artificial but just as damaging as the real thing.

But now their time had come.

Careful to stay under the horizon, they quietly formed in large groups. Not a word was spoken. There was no need. Every one of them knew their role and would strive to fulfil their duty, to the very end.

Violetta, their leader for now, looked down at the city with shuttered eyes. For too long the humans had hunted her and her kind. Since her untimely discovery on their 'ship' centuries ago, they’d seen her as a threat and total eradication of her kind was their cure. She’d tolerated the occasional loss but the final straw had come when she’d discovered her mate, chained to a post and left to burn slowly in the rising sun.

She had suppressed her fury at the time but they all knew that they would never have peace while humankind was nearby. She was well aware of their overwhelming numbers and superior technology, and those 'special' ones that had mysterious powers exceeding even hers. But she had one very important factor on her side, something that the humans understood all too well; you cannot kill what’s already dead.

When she was ready, her gaze shifted to the city gates and her scarlet eyes, dark and brooding, flashed briefly. Within seconds, a strange menacing darkness began to spread through the city. Barely perceptible at first, it soon smothered the artificial lights, leaving the streets in total darkness. It seeped into the homes of the humans with a chill that touched their very souls. She could feel the bewilderment coming from those she despised, she could hear their thoughts and she could sense their fear. Why weren't their computers helping them? What of the heroes? Where were they?

She glanced behind her. Hundreds of large catapults had been pulled all the way by huge tame animals of various kinds, avoiding detection by smothering themselves with the same stygian darkness that now enveloped the city way below. At her unspoken signal, the cauldrons on the catapults were lit, each one burning with an eerie blue flame.

She looked back down into the basin as she raised her arm. The city was already in shadow, now it was time for the smoke.
by the way ;) I am looking forward reading from you again :) (not that I have to do the whole filling here ;) )

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:08 am

guess I go first.

The City of Night and Nightmare

Those who dwell within its walls call it the City of Night, long ago it had another name, but that was before darkness enshrouded the land in eternal night. None of them remember its original name, nor that it was the great legendary city of light shining on top of the proverbial hill. They have long forgotten that it was the worlds destination to gain fame and fortune. Nor do they recall the legendary wealth, power and abundance for all who lived within its walls.

Its reputation of lavishness drew people to it like moths to a flame. Its great walls protected its citizens while its armies marched across the lands putting down tyrants and spreading peace and prosperity to all. They do not remember, but I do, I also remember their sloth and hubris that allowed me to gain entrance to their city.

But that was long ago, and those same walls that kept its enemies at bay keep its citizens trapped within, fearful of what lies outside, fearful of the unknown. They no longer enjoy the legendary lavishness their ancestors enjoyed, now they fight over scraps in the streets, and those famous golden armies of old, my armies now, marching out to conquer spreading the darkness and my rule with them.

No one else remembers that great city, I remember, for I am Nightmare, and this is now my city, my capital, the City of Night and Nightmare.
sounds like an epic start :) am looking forward reading more of it ;)

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:41 am

by the way ;) I am looking forward reading from you again :) (not that I have to do the whole filling here ;) )
Oh, er, ok. Guess that means I have to finish the story, or at least do another part of it! That was just the prologue of a story I was considering writing to go along with my superhero one, or maybe merge with it in some way - it's all up in the air at the moment :|
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:55 am

Oh, er, ok. Guess that means I have to finish the story, or at least do another part of it! That was just the prologue of a story I was considering writing to go along with my superhero one, or maybe merge with it in some way - it's all up in the air at the moment :|
sorry, I did not want to put any pressure on you, was just a nice prologue and I was wondering if there is more to come. If you didn´t plan to, not a problem I did not mean to be intrusive

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:10 am

sorry, I did not want to put any pressure on you, was just a nice prologue and I was wondering if there is more to come. If you didn´t plan to, not a problem I did not mean to be intrusive
hehe Don't worry, you weren't being. It's just my quirky sense of humour. I tend to forget that humour doesn't always travel well over the internet! I'm still trying to make my mind up about the direction of that story. Been thinking about tying it into my (waiting patiently to be created!) SoH main character's storyline somehow.

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:39 am

hehe Don't worry, you weren't being. It's just my quirky sense of humour. I tend to forget that humour doesn't always travel well over the internet! I'm still trying to make my mind up about the direction of that story. Been thinking about tying it into my (waiting patiently to be created!) SoH main character's storyline somehow.
true, humour is a little bit complicated without mimics and voice variations (it was a valid point you made after all, so it would have been understandable and I prefer apologizing once too often before getting the reputation of being the annoying intrusive guy ;) ). But I am positive that when we players here know each other better that will work too and next time I will recognize your sense for irony without you having to explain it ;)

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:21 am

The House of Shadow, Wind and Smoke Part 4

Garean, Tyreen and Sareja, the third member of their class where following Dranaan, the Master Apprentice through the house, trying to memorize everything the older apprentice told them about the building and the history. A feat which Tyreen realized, was destined to fail utterly. After all their leader had several years to learn and repeat it and so he began to relax and concentrate more on the structure of the house and that labyrinth they called hallways.

That House really was huge and when they finally stopped at a door in the fourth floor he could see the relief in Gareans eyes. „OK, Garean and Tyreen – this will be your room! You will stay here for the first year until you graduated before being allowed to move to the quaters closer to the stairs, so make yourself comfortable here. Sareja you will have your room over there on the other side. Remember that! This is yours – over there is hers! It will not be tolerated that you are in each others room after dinner time! And each room has its own sanitary spaces, so there can also be no mistake on getting accidentally into those! Basically said – don´t make anything stupid. It will have consequences!“

Dranaan left and Tyreen went inside. That speech was unnecessary! He wondered, if he was supposed to say that or if it was in fact part of his dirty fantasy which made him believe that anybody else would surely take the first chance on jumping on each other. He looked around. The room was simple but clean. There was a bed on the left and a bed on the right side. Next to each bed there were a wardrobe and a shelf. On the other side in front of the windows where a writing desk for each of them and in the middle of the room there was a big table. It was definitely better than the place he grew up in.

Questioningly he looked at Garean „I don´t really care, so choose the side you prefer and I will take the other one!“ His new roommate smiled and moved to the right side „Thank you. So, what is your impression? Except of course, our other classmate. Your impression in that case was quite obvious.“ Tyreen, stopped putting his stuff in the wardrobe to look at the blonde boy „What are you talking about? In what manner was my reaction obvious?“ The smile got wider „Tyreen, you had a look on your face, like she was the first girl you ever saw. You did look pretty impressed, to say the least!“ He took a deep breath. That guy should better stop smiling. „You got it wrong! I was surprised, because girls are normally in the big Houses and I am pretty sure this is not one of them! That is the only reason why I stared at her!“ Garean shrugged his shoulders while his face went normal again „Well, you are right with that of course, though I have to admit I am surpised, that you know in what kind of House you are. I had the feeling you knew nothing about that place. I mean, don´t get me wrong, most don´t know about that House, so it is nothing to be ashamed of. I just wouldn´t have taken you as the guy who is interested in ancient history.“ Tyreen finished putting his stuff away, than turned around to him again „You should always be careful with first impressions. Though in that case you are right. I don´t know about ancient history and nothing about this House. But I know about the major Houses and since all of them have their place, the place of this one has to be quite exotic.“ Garean nodded „You are right about that one! This House has indeed an old History and in former times it was the House of Exploration! Since that word of course leaves a lot to imagination and is pretty flexible to define it has become basically the House of Investigation of the Unknown!“

Tyreen was surprised. Both by the fact, that this boy knew that much, that he was actually chosen for it and even more that he himself has been chosen by that House! What in all the worlds could they have seen in him, that made them believe, that he was the right person for this career? The other one started smiling again, while getting him back out of his thoughts „Anyway, it would have been understandable too, if you would have been staring at Sareja, because of her looks. I mean, she looks quite beautiful, you have to admit that!“ Yes, she did and again he wondered, what they actually did here. This scholar-to-be, him and that pale beauty across the hallway. What made the Masters believe, that they where linked to Shadow, Wind and Smoke?

to be continued...
Last edited by Avatar PDM on Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:49 am

The House of Shadow, Wind and Smoke Part 5

It was his first morning here and Tyreen already had the urge to kill somebody! His roommate to be exact! For starters, that guy was the first thing he saw, when he woke up today - the smile of a person, who actually seemed to like the sight of a sunrise. Then during their breakfast Garean tried again and again to force him into a conversation. As if he looked like he was the type of person to chat about irrelevant stuff over breakfast. And now he started a Monologue after the Master asked the simple question why they are here! Why would they be here after all? Of course the answer is, because they where chosen! They were here, because during the Trial of the Houses some must have seen something in them - or not have seen something, depending on the point of view - which made them believe, this where the place for them!

That moment Garean finally seemed to have finished, because Master Maelian took over again "Very well! Thank you for that insight. Anyone else? Tyreen?" He froze in his thoughts. He was quiet for a moment trying to gather his wits before answering "Simple! Because the Members of the Council saw in us a potencial, which best is being used here!" He noticed from out of the corner of his eyes that Sareja was raising an eye brow. But the Master just nodded "Very good Tyreen! As interesting and impressive as Gareans knowledge is, that is the core of the whole thing! And nothing else is important! You are here, because you have the talents and therefore have been chosen, that you serve the people best here! And the less you expect and know of here, the better! Because what you need to know - which is a lot to say the least - we will teach you! We will guide you through those years here and we will widen your horizon step by step! I like Gareans enthusiasm but it is a dangerous path! It is like a glass. If it is too full with water it cannot be filled with wine. And therefore we will have to get rid of the water first, so we can refill it as we know it has to be!"

When the three got out of the class room two hours later Garean rushed to walk next to Tyreen while they where on their way to the Training-Rooms. And the smile was back although he really had hoped so hard, that this annoying smile was gone after that little lecture. But here it was again. "That was good! And I actually thought you where daydreaming in there." He moved on, making it as hard as he could for his companion to follow "You know, just because I don´t talk that much, does not mean I don´t think much. I try to be open for anything the Masters have to give, so I don´t even try to show off with any possible knowledge. It is nowhere near something which is worth mentioning here anyway." The other boy nodded while struggling to stay next to him " You know, I think you are right. It is just, well unlike you, I have informed myself about all Houses and it was my dream for a while now, that this one would choose me!" The smile was gone and Tyreen slowed down while looking at his classmate, like he have seen him for the first time "You wanted to be here? Why?" Now it was on Garean to be surprised "You are here now for more than a day and the possibilities haven´t occured to you yet? Just think about it for a moment. All the Houses are restricted in some kind of manner. Either in there field of knowledge or in their freedom to move or even travel. They will be taught on what to wear, how to behave, what to talk or think. Here you have infinite possibilities and nobody will do anything against it, because that is what you are!"

He thought about what Garean had told him and tried to compare it, with what he knew from the other Houses. It never came into his mind, that they were chained in some manner but it dawned him, that indeed those apprentices where in a Golden Cage. Golden, but a Cage nevertheless! Still he wasn´t sure, what to think of this place. It was a thought, which he had to put on hold though, because in that moment they reached the Training Room and Master Tovair waited already for them. "What took you so long? Stop chatting like girls and get into your training clothes. We are waiting for you!" We? He glanced around the Master and noticed Sareja standing there - already in those Combat Clothes. How on all worlds, did she come here so fast? Not mentioning having even changed clothes already.

A few minutes later the three Firstlings - as Tovair called them - where standing in the Training Room, watching their Trainer demonstrate, what he expected them to achieve when they graduated here. Tyreen stood in awe, watching how all those seemingly random tools, which where laying here and there where used against training puppets or imaginary opponents while moving in a speed, which where nothing less then lightning fast. Faster than they could imagine anyone would be able to run through that parcours, let alone performing fighting choreographics, he reached the far end of the hall. And went right back startling all three of them, when he slightly hit them with the baton, he held in his hands at the end of his performance "Well, what shall I say, you three are all dead now!" Garean wanted to reply, but Tyreen grabbed his arm squeezing it slightly. This was neither the place nor the time to argue with their Master. The older man put the baton away "You have to understand one thing, which is more important than anything else you can learn here. Never trust anyone that much, that you let your guard completely down! When around compatriots or friends you can relax but still you always need to be prepared to react and buy yourself the time you need to survive any possible attack! If you don´t you are dead. And if you are doubting my lecture here than I want you to talk now because otherwise you might as well just be wasting time and ressources here in the esteemed Halls of Shadow, Wind and Smoke!"

to be continued (next year ;) )

Return to “The Starboard Lounge”