Game Platforms

stexxa

Game Platforms

Postby stexxa » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:19 pm

Hey so i was wondering if this game will be available for Mac? I’m ecstatic about this game ever since I have found out about it but I don’t own a PC, all the computers in my house are Macs. If it isn’t available currently for apple platform then can you please make it available? Thanks!

JestersGhost

Re: Game Platforms

Postby JestersGhost » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:17 am

That will probably come later, unfortunately. This is a small dev team, and rather limited as to what can be done. Personally, I'd love to see a linux version, but I'm not holding my breath. It makes sense for the team to focus on the best return on effort invested, and that pushes less popular platforms down the priority list unfortunately.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:02 am

They have no plans to port this game to any other platform - no Mac, no Linux, no consoles. But, never say never. If the game is wildly successful and there is a demand, they may make a mac port and/ or a Linux port.

That said, this dev team knows windows. They would have to bring in a new team to do any kind of port, and other than maybe Xbox, we would be looking at many months before such a port would be ready. Microsoft is cunning, and there are tools in Win10 (if the game is Win10 only) that allow a workable port to Xbox One in just a few weeks.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Apparition

Postby Apparition » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:53 pm

I realize that this thread is a bit old, but I just wanted to voice my support for adding Linux as an eventual game platform. I have no intention of ever using Windows 10 on bare metal for various reasons, and Windows 7 and 8.1 are slowly heading towards end of life. Worse comes to worst, I can run Windows 10 in a virtual machine, but native Linux support would be welcome. :) Certain recent technologies has made developing games for Linux easier, such as Vulkan.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:49 am

As long as this thread has been re-opened, I want to tell people that it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY we will see a MAC port. Apple has removed all support for Vulkan and OpenGL (the basic of UE4) and instead put their support behind their own gaming API, Metal. These APIs do not port back and forth at all.

What does that mean? It means that any publisher that wants to make a game for Windows and for Mac will need to completely make the game - twice. Any patch or update for said game will have to be made and tested twice.

Unless the publishing house is huge and has a compelling financial reason to make a game for both PC and Mac, it ain't gonna happen.

One of the kickstarter stretch goals that City of Titans met was to make a Mac port. I am sure that goal is now history.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Odee

Postby Odee » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:17 pm

Curse you APPLE, and your proprietary ways!
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:21 pm

Thank you GladDog for your answer. good information to know.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Odee

Postby Odee » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:34 am

As long as this thread has been re-opened, I want to tell people that it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY we will see a MAC port. Apple has removed all support for Vulkan and OpenGL (the basic of UE4) and instead put their support behind their own gaming API, Metal. These APIs do not port back and forth at all.

What does that mean? It means that any publisher that wants to make a game for Windows and for Mac will need to completely make the game - twice. Any patch or update for said game will have to be made and tested twice.

Unless the publishing house is huge and has a compelling financial reason to make a game for both PC and Mac, it ain't gonna happen.

One of the kickstarter stretch goals that City of Titans met was to make a Mac port. I am sure that goal is now history.
Okay, it's back to the Old School Days. I remember well how us Atari ST 520 users would run MAC, Apple II, and IBM software on our puny game machines with a simple emulator. Said emulator let us run all the applications, games, and apps that Apple, and IBM put out in the late 80s, through 2000. Point of fact, IBM used the Atari format, to copy protect their software.

To that end, I offer you MAC peeps, a way to play Ship of Heroes, without having to buy a whole new computer.

https://www.iphonetopics.com/windows-emulator-for-mac/

Apparition

Postby Apparition » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:37 am

Technically speaking, there is a way to use Vulkan on macOS via MoltenVK, but it's a hack and Apple has always been hostile to video games. It's just not worth it for most small video game developers.

Odee

Postby Odee » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:04 am

Technically speaking, there is a way to use Vulkan on macOS via MoltenVK, but it's a hack and Apple has always been hostile to video games. It's just not worth it for most small video game developers.
With the emulators, at least back when, you didn't need to hack. Just boot up the emulator, and start playing PC games. Should work the same today.

Return to “Ask the Devs”