My Chat with Consultant

GladDog

My Chat with Consultant

Postby GladDog » Sat May 27, 2017 10:25 am

I had a very fun conversation/interview with Consultant on Friday. I think we talked more than we interviewed :D I took away a few things from this ‘interview’ that overlaid the entire conversation.

1 – Casey is very passionate about this game. He will see it to the end!
2 – He is very invested in building a community. He said several times that the thing that set CoH apart from other games was the strong sense of community. I looked at my notes and the word ‘community’ was listed about 7 times! If you have any suggestions, comments or complaints, Casey wants to hear them! He is very interested in what the community has to say.
3 – Casey is having a lot of fun on this project. He mentioned before we ever got into this that if we were going to talk about gaming, and especially this game, I had better hunker down, because he could talk all night!

I’m planning to write an article to list on MMORPG.com and other such sites. But before that, I wanted to give THIS community some treats from our talk! I copied several passages from Broxen’s SoHWIKI post and I am going to answer them to the best of my ability based on the interview.

List of current Organizations/Villain Groups
Can you share a list of current Villain Groups?

Right now, there are only the Nagdelians and the Prometheans. They are working on two more groups they will have in the game before the end of the year.

What level of the ship is Apotheosis City?
I read somewhere that it was on level 20 near the engines, though this seems like where you would place less valuable cargo in the event of engine explosion/failure. Also, I can't find this mention again to corroborate my (terrible) memory. Can you confirm?

Apotheosis City is the level right above the engine area. There is a lot of shielding and underground area between the engines and the city. You can see for yourself in the video that shows the Justice in space on this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sinx_e5IfGc

Dark Magic Cyborgs - PARTIALLY ANSWERED
Elsewhere on the forums, it has been mentioned that the second Villain Group will be Dark Magic using Cyborgs. Can you confirm the existence of this group? Where are they from? What do they want? What do they call themselves?
These aliens are called Prometheans.
Their origin and motivations are still unknown.

They cannot reveal anything about the Prometheans without spoiling the encounter for new players. But let it be known they have an extensive and very interesting backstory.

Other Servers? Are the FHS Liberty and FHS Freedom potentially future servers? - Asked by KidRad
- In terms of servers, have you considered making it a fleet of ships, rather than just one ship? That way, at the outset, there will be the FHS Justice, and as servers are added, you can pick other ships (servers) to play on.

The game will be on a megaserver platform, it will be highly unlikely that there will be any other ships (servers). They are planning on using Amazon server services, so they have no idea yet of the location where the game will be hosted. It would not surprise me if eventually we would visit other ships, but they will not be the settings for other servers unless they develop foreign language servers in the future.

Meltdown's Costume Change
In early concept art, Meltdown has a costume of predominantly Gold with red accents and highlights. Later in-game screenshots depict a costume that is the exact opposite. Another podcast mentions giving him a cape. Are all the signature heroes still evolving during development? Has Meltdown's costume been finalized?

The signature heroes will continue to evolve. Right now they are adding more basic human models, which will affect several of the signature heroes.

The Character Creator
Will the character creator be released early as a standalone beta for the community?

Yes. The timeline lists September as when the alpha version will be available to those who have donated to the game to a certain level. The beta version will be available to others later. Keep in mind this will be an ALPHA version. There will be things that are not perfect, and the dev team will welcome both kudos and concerns.

Crafting
It's been mentioned that crafting will exist in the game in one form or another. What is the intention there? How detailed will it be? Will it be necessary to reaching end game or participating in endgame content? Will it release at launch, or in a later patch?

The game will release with very limited crafting, mostly the ability to make temp powers is what we will be able to do. These temp powers will be very important in game, as self buffs and additions to your arsenal. For example, people that choose Super Speed or Teleport for a travel power will very likely want to make or purchase a jet pack to get to difficult areas of the map. Melee-centric ATs will have a blaster, but it will be weak at first. Crafting grenades may be a very worthwhile thing for them. Squishies may want to craft a temp power that improves their defense for a specific length of time. These temp powers can be tailored to your mission, which is very nice.

Influence (Currency)
How does currency work in the game? What is it called?

It is called DUST. It is leftover processed Unobtainium that is used as a currency on the ship.

-------------------------------------------

And here are a few highlights of our conversation. Some of this material was from questions supplied by Eulb and Penniguin, regular forum posters.

THE GAME WILL BE FREE TO ACQUIRE, SUB TO PLAY. There may be premium or digital deluxe versions that people can buy, but the basic game will be free to acquire. HOWEVER, you cannot play without a subscription. At release there will not be a trial or demo available.

VOICE COMM – highly unlikely they will have voice comm in game, at least at release. Yes, it is built into UE4, but it will take a lot of programming time to make it viable, time they cannot spare. Blow the dust off of those Discord servers!

CUT SCENES AND VOICEOVERS – there is a lot of time, money and effort involved in these. Yes, they want these features, but it is unlikely we will see them at release, or even at the first few major patches.

ARCHITECT SYSTEM – They want this very badly, but it may not be in at release. It will be a priority for one of the first few major patches.

The game will release with as broad of a range of hardware compatibility as possible, although Casey could not give me any detailed information on system requirements yet. Don’t expect uber leet OMGWTFBBQ settings at first, but they will be in the game later. Also, UE4 is pretty modern; a Core2Duo system isn’t going to play it.

Right now the dev team is trying to develop well over 100 hours of content for release. They want it to be fun to repeat, so it won’t just be a lot of filler missions.

Devastators will be closer to Corruptors than Blasters. They will have self buffs and team buffs/ enemy debuffs. However, don’t expect a Devastator to be a primary healer, although they will probably be able to help as an off-healer. Their primary thing is damage, so look to the Defenders as healers and buffers.

The final form for Controllers is still up in the air. The team is still deciding whether they will be more like CoH Controllers or CoV Dominators.

Former CoH developers are still under a non-competition agreement until October/ November, so SoH can talk to them, but they cannot bring them into the team – at least not yet! We will see what the future brings!

We talked a lot about what will happen to ‘bad’ people. This game will be family friendly, so if someone cannot control their mouth, they will be silenced in everything but team and guild chat. At first it may be just 10 minutes, but the silence will get longer and longer and longer, until they are banned from the game temporarily. Dragging high level bad guys over a costume contest for new players, for example, will get you banned. Once again, the time banned will increase from say 30 minutes, to 2 hours, and so on, until your account is banned permanently. The devs want people to have time to realize that if they change their behavior, i.e. how they treat others, they can have a great time in game. But if it becomes obvious that these people are just there to cause problems, they will lose their accounts. Most importantly, the devs are committed to making and maintaining a fun environment where a player can bring their spouse and kids into the game. They want a community that will grow, not stagnate.

Super Speed people will be able to run on water! They won’t be able to run up buildings though, another good reason to have a jet pack. With the limited number of powers available at release, no one will want to devote two of them to travel powers, so make that jet pack!

Right now, they are not seeking investors or help from a publisher. When you do these things your game suddenly is a profit center and the investor/ publisher takes significant control of creative content. Will this change in the future? Who knows, but right now they plan to put this game up without these resources.

-----------------------------

I want to say that I thoroughly enjoyed our conversation. Casey and I had a lot of fun talking about all kinds of things. I hope I get the chance to talk to him again in the near future. Also, he only lives about 1.5 hours from me, so I am still hoping we can have a face to face meeting sometime in the near future!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

broxen

Re: My Chat with Consultant

Postby broxen » Sat May 27, 2017 11:05 am

Former CoH developers are still under a non-competition agreement until October/ November, so SoH can talk to them, but they cannot bring them into the team – at least not yet! We will see what the future brings!
This is VERY interesting!
-Broxen

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sun May 28, 2017 10:35 am

Don't read TOO much into this - Casey said he met Matt Miller (Positron) once at a conference, but that was a long time ago - CoH was still running. He also has not tried reaching out to any of the CoH dev team, since they are under an NCA. But when it lifts, who knows what could happen? If we do our part and get the word out on the game, maybe they will be the ones doing the contacting!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

broxen

Postby broxen » Sun May 28, 2017 2:55 pm

List of current Organizations/Villain Groups
Can you share a list of current Villain Groups?

Right now, there are only the Nagdelians and the Prometheans. They are working on two more groups they will have in the game before the end of the year.
Can you confirm the spelling on Nagdelians?

Nagdelians or Nagdellians?
Several sources spell this organization with one L, but in the game footage GIF of Meltdowns Plasma Blast ability, the soldier is spelled with two L's. What is the proper spelling?
-Broxen

broxen

Postby broxen » Sun May 28, 2017 2:56 pm

Don't read TOO much into this - Casey said he met Matt Miller (Positron) once at a conference, but that was a long time ago - CoH was still running. He also has not tried reaching out to any of the CoH dev team, since they are under an NCA. But when it lifts, who knows what could happen? If we do our part and get the word out on the game, maybe they will be the ones doing the contacting!
Ah got it. Well.. one can hope!
-Broxen

Country Strong

Postby Country Strong » Sun May 28, 2017 3:46 pm

And may be nice on a nostalgia note, but from what I've seen so far, this a team doesn't need it, they're on fire with the game so far!

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Sun May 28, 2017 7:56 pm

Really useful info all round, good interview :)

I'm surprised but pleased to see how high up the priority list the mission architect system is, but I guess for a small team it does make it easier to get good content into the game by crowd-sourcing it from the players :) Definitely planning on releasing some content through that myself when it launches.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Sun May 28, 2017 10:01 pm

Good going Glad, all of his videos are informative. I did not know he was the same guy with the narrator voice until he started doing interviews.

You can't help but support this project. He is not fooling around and you can tell he is adamant about reaching his goals without misguiding his fans.

Penniguin

Postby Penniguin » Mon May 29, 2017 12:53 pm

Thanks GladDog! We very much enjoyed reading your post. It's so hard to have to wait to play Ship of Heroes, anytime I get to read or watch stuff about the game, it helps to feed the anticipation! keep it up :D

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Mon May 29, 2017 2:46 pm

Super grate interview GladDog and immmmmm sooooo jealous ..... but ill direct that jealousy toward building the community.

I'll have to tell you I'm not looking for a end to SOH ....but a Progression growth forward ...

Thank you Dev's for picking a grate moderator who will kept us informed Yeah

about the badie's there are nags and Promethean's .... don't for get Flagwaver's SRAG's ( Supernatural Robot Alien Game-members )

one question still remains to be addressed is ... GM's ... the police of the game community that will help in game real time ???

One last thing YEAH Super speed .... yeah ill be able to run on water .... yeah REALLY looking forward to that ... may be not at release but as an earned reward for a story line completion.
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Tue May 30, 2017 6:34 am

Broxen, for the record, Nagdellian with two l's.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Tue May 30, 2017 7:34 pm

Is that just so it's no longer an anagram for "Dang Aliens"? :P
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

broxen

Postby broxen » Tue May 30, 2017 9:40 pm

Noted! Thank you!
-Broxen

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed May 31, 2017 6:42 am

Actually Nagdellian was always spelled with two l's. But one of the things we do is we don't hold much back, so once we had them we showed them in an interview. I was telling a writer about this enemy group and the name Nagdellian was spoken, but we did not give a written back-up in time and the article went out with one l. Ironically one of my own team members here at SoH saw the article and thought I had changed the spelling to one l.

It took a week or so of confusion to get it straightened out. Sorry about that.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Wed May 31, 2017 2:33 pm

So am i missing something ?????.... does Nagdellian have another meaning , or reference i'm not aware of ????? some one tell me Please

So if you have all ready referenced the word in earlier posts ...is it a word you have made up ????? or does it have real meaning ????
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Return to “Ask the Devs”