Cel-shading toggle off?

Crowe

Cel-shading toggle off?

Postby Crowe » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:06 pm

One of the first major turn-offs for me about Champions Online was the actual look. It just looked like it was put together by a group of amateurs rather than professionals who had previously created a relatively successful superhero game. Now I'm well aware that many love the cel-shaded look but I can't count myself in that crowd. Once one of the Champions players mentioned that the cel-shading could be toggled off, I immediately gave it another try. (and then I discovered the beta mechanics... 1,1,1,1,1,1,1, 2! So that's a separate story.) From some of the screenshots here, it appears that SoH may be going down the cel-shaded route and I was hoping that this might be something that could be turned off if so desired. Hopefully, this is early enough in the process that such things can be considered and built into the longer range planning. Thanks for your consideration!

Nightasy

Re: Cel-shading toggle off?

Postby Nightasy » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:07 pm

Well, you're in luck. We aren't planning on using any Cel shading in the game. The goal is more ArchVis/Photo-realistic.

(I too am not really a fan of the whole cartoony look in some games.)

Gooch

Postby Gooch » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:07 pm

Yes, as Nightasy pointed out, there won't be a cel-shading "look" to the game.

You may see some art from time to time in the form of concepts or sketches that are more illustrative or line form in style, but the game isn't cel-shaded, so there's nothing you'll need to turn off. 8)

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:07 pm

One of the key points to be aware of is that right now (December 5th, 2016) the Ship of Heroes website has three kinds of visuals -- 2D concept art, placeholder mock-ups (like the rough mock-up of a character creator on the landing page) and 3D concept art. This is where designing the game starts for us, with mock-ups. But the Unreal Engine creates a much different look than was present in COH, or is present in Champions Online. From this perspective, Ship of Heroes will look and feel very different than previous games with Hero themes.

We plan to reveal the progress we are making as the game develops. The next major milestone is to show some great screenshots from within the game, which will allow our future players to get a look at how well we did, transforming the concept art into an environment for playing a game. This will be shown in about 10 days to two weeks.

In January we will show a working (but not completely polished) Character Creator, with the first three models we'll be using for the game. And you will be able to see one of our NPC Characters made in the Character Creator, because our philosophy is that we should use the same tools to make the NPCs, for the most part, that you will use when the game launches. But we will not be limited to the kind of 2D look and feel you see in the concept art -- the characters will look much more photo-realistic than the concept.

One more point to be aware of is that we are reading the answers to the daily polls to see what the community wants. So please share your ideas!

Crowe

Postby Crowe » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:07 pm

Thanks so much for the replies, guys! It's heartening to know you're listening! (you're on track to be developers known for being in touch with your users!)

zapped

Postby zapped » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:07 pm

Thank you!!! Im not a fan of cell shading either. Got the beta invite for Champions Online and didnt play for more than 5 minutes because of it. It was kind of insulting actually. Its as if the people who worked on the game thought that everyone who liked superheroes must be a 7 year old ben-10 fan.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:08 pm

Its as if the people who worked on the game thought that everyone who liked superheroes must be a 7 year old ben-10 fan.
Hey, I take offense to that. I'm a 40-year-old Ben-10 fan, thank you very much :P

But yeah, not a fan of the cel-shaded look in Champions Online. I thought I'd like it, but it just didn't work for some reason.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Major Victory

Postby Major Victory » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:50 pm

So how do you turn off the cell-shading in Champions? May give it another try while waiting for SOH to come out. :)

brawlizard

Postby brawlizard » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:59 pm

So how do you turn off the cell-shading in Champions? May give it another try while waiting for SOH to come out. :)
It is in the settings, very easy to find, I turned it off within the first few seconds of logging in

Melanieshaman

Postby Melanieshaman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:06 pm

I thought it was fitting being based off a comic book style, but i get why people didn't like it. It also, bizarrely effected performance on certain systems.

Rune

Postby Rune » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:48 pm

I thought it was fitting being based off a comic book style, but i get why people didn't like it. It also, bizarrely effected performance on certain systems.
Low spec systems only. I myself had a lower end system for the game until about four or five years ago, got a new rig, new GFX card, and new widescreen monitor.. Boom, suddenly Champions Online with all the bells and whistles on [and the comic shading off] is actually a surprisingly pretty game, especially the environments.

It's pretty easy on the eyes in some areas, but I do wish Cryptic had stayed and concentrated all it's efforts on it instead of getting immediately to Star Trek Online and then Neverwinter Online immediately afterward. Those games are both super gorgeous, run in the same Cryptic 2.0 engine, and are really just more refined, better looking iterations of the same game engine Champions runs in. Champions could have eventually looked as good as those games do today. Alas, likely impossible now.

Return to “Ask the Devs”