reassigning power colors

Gilbegger

reassigning power colors

Postby Gilbegger » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:18 am

Ok..this may seem confusing, so Ill try my best to make sense in my question.

After watching "The Restorative Nanites Powerset" video....I thought of something. Most of the powers' colors were matching. Not the physical effect but the "power icon' in your power bar . This makes power selection confusing.

For instance....(In my mind)

healing = green
mana regen = blue
to hit buffs = yellow
dmg buffs = red

and so on..

Will we have the ability to change the appearance (symbol or color) that appears in our power icon tray?

When playing in hectic situations having clear ways of differintiating powers /icons really aids in my speed of selecting powers.

Consultant

Re: reassigning power colors

Postby Consultant » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:27 am

This is a really good question.

Right now, we have never considered this.

I'm almost of a mind to say that we should have a thread on this issue, since if we create a re-coloring option, some people will use it to solve thier issue, and others will simply struggle along.

Maybe we need to discuss how to make the icons work for everyone?

I know that's not a perfect solution, but it is crossing my mind. I always have this concern in the back of my mind...the game has to be fun and relatively intuitive for a newcomer who never played City of Heroes and is thinking "what's going on here?"

Also, I should say that we have powers that do multiple things, which you would color code differently. And we've even toyed with the idea that over-healing a teammate would buff their accuracy, damage, or something, like a temp power.

Pyrion

Postby Pyrion » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:00 am

And we've even toyed with the idea that over-healing a teammate would buff their accuracy, damage, or something, like a temp power.
This could have negative consequences where a healer will be viewed as lazy if he "only" heals team mates to full. I think if you want to do something with overhealing it might give some percentage of it to a damage absorb buffer with diminishing returns. That would still be heal related and healers could overheal on purpose before a very hard fight.

Another thought: If you do support classes that do not heal (like force field or sonic), you would need to establish something similar for them.

The perception that all supporters that can not heal are worthless would be enforced by such a decision.

Parabola

Postby Parabola » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:18 am

And we've even toyed with the idea that over-healing a teammate would buff their accuracy, damage, or something, like a temp power.
This could have negative consequences where a healer will be viewed as lazy if he "only" heals team mates to full.
Yeah I have to agree with this. It would add legitimacy to the 'H34l0rz must rock the aura' crowd. I'm still irritated by the memory of being told on my Rad defender to 'stop wasting end with the toggle debuffs and just use the aura'!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:50 am

I’m not sure I understand the negative aspect you’re talking about. I think it’s a wonderful idea if once you’re fully healed the defender uses the Aura again and you get an accuracy, damage or an endurance buff or something else.

I think it’s a wonderful idea and makes that kind of defender so much more useful.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Apparition

Postby Apparition » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:56 am

This could have negative consequences where a healer will be viewed as lazy if he "only" heals team mates to full.
Yeah I have to agree with this. It would add legitimacy to the 'H34l0rz must rock the aura' crowd. I'm still irritated by the memory of being told on my Rad defender to 'stop wasting end with the toggle debuffs and just use the aura'!
Agreed. I'm already getting bad flashbacks about a particular Defender on the Champion server of City of Heroes that did absolutely nothing but "rock the aura."

Pyrion

Postby Pyrion » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:00 am

I’m not sure I understand the negative aspect you’re talking about. I think it’s a wonderful idea if once you’re fully healed the defender uses the Aura again and you get an accuracy, damage or an endurance buff or something else.

I think it’s a wonderful idea and makes that kind of defender so much more useful.
I think you didn't read my post if you just flat out do not understand.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:21 am

I read your post. Let me clarify, I don’t understand the reasoning behind the attitude you described.

Odee

Postby Odee » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:50 pm

I read your post. Let me clarify, I don’t understand the reasoning behind the attitude you described.
nodnod What does the color of a Healer's powerset, have to do with their Healing players? :shock: Nothing. Anyone who is even half observant, will see they are being healed, regardless the color of the powerset. :roll:
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Parabola

Postby Parabola » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:19 pm

Yeah it'll probably be fine. I just worry about the perception that if you have a heal you will be expected to keep using it regardless of the situation because it buffs a bit too. I think a powerset should be a toolkit with different powers for different situations and that heals should really be the least part of what a defender does.
nodnod What does the color of a Healer's powerset, have to do with their Healing players? :shock: Nothing. Anyone who is even half observant, will see they are being healed, regardless the color of the powerset. :roll:
None of this has anything much to do with the op it's true! Mind you that was about recolouring the power symbols in the toolbar rather than the powers themselves. Which seems a cool idea to me if doable. Mind you i always played by assigning keybinds rather than clicking and just learning where everything was so i don't know how much I'd end up using it.

LaughingLandry

Postby LaughingLandry » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:42 pm

I like the idea of having multiple uses. Maybe they could do something like situational effects....I.e.... a power can heal a teammate for whatever hp, or if that teammate is below 50% health the power heals for 25% more in that instant. Or something. And they’d have to come up with appropriate effect for the different powers. Like idk a fully debuff hero could have 20% more debuff strength for foes over 75% health. I don’t know how difficult that would be to balance of course. Lol. But I agree that “healer” supports shouldn’t be the go to. The fun of CoH was being able to play support and still help the team win without “needing” a full healer” but I think that’s all a question of proper team composition too.

Pyrion

Postby Pyrion » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:19 pm

Yea sorry about my earlier reply, i think it was looking worse than intended.

In CoH a lot of healers just had area heal on autocast. That was incredibly lazy. A mechanism that gives other buffs for overheals would encourage that even more, no skill involved at all. That's another reason why i don't like such a thing.

Tomblady

Postby Tomblady » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:46 pm

I like the idea of the op.

Since I am a point and click player (too small hands to reach many keybindings) I like to sort my abilities. Color coding could also help to find the right ability without looking too intense on my ability bar.

If you have a power with two different mechanisms you can color it half and half, so if its green/yellow you know its heal/buff.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:15 pm

Yea sorry about my earlier reply, i think it was looking worse than intended.

In CoH a lot of healers just had area heal on autocast. That was incredibly lazy. A mechanism that gives other buffs for overheals would encourage that even more, no skill involved at all. That's another reason why i don't like such a thing.
That I understand and I think you have a good point. buddy of mine hates the new changes in WoW because his wizard can go through an entire dungeon and only click two powers. i.e. no skill involved anymore.

Odee

Postby Odee » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:20 pm

Yeah it'll probably be fine. I just worry about the perception that if you have a heal you will be expected to keep using it regardless of the situation because it buffs a bit too. I think a powerset should be a toolkit with different powers for different situations and that heals should really be the least part of what a defender does.
None of this has anything much to do with the op it's true! Mind you that was about recolouring the power symbols in the toolbar rather than the powers themselves. Which seems a cool idea to me if doable. Mind you i always played by assigning keybinds rather than clicking and just learning where everything was so i don't know how much I'd end up using it.
So you are talking about the User Interface, not the powers.
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Return to “Ask the Devs”