PvP

Wreck

PvP

Postby Wreck » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:44 pm

My favorite thing to do in CoH was PvP. I was hoping you could elaborate more on how PvP will be in your game.

CoH didn't pay attention to PvP at all after Issue 9 or something, which I think, caused PvP to plummet and leave a whole bunch of imbalances and spawn a bunch of toxic players. So if you don't mind, what are your plans, if any, about PvP?

Styrj

Re: PvP

Postby Styrj » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:44 pm

Devs, please do not have open PVP.
:D If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D

tennscott

Postby tennscott » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:44 pm

I agree with Wreck, the PvP environment stagnated, and many stopped participating. Maybe including your project planning a cyclical set of enhancements and settings to introduce, expand, and revisit.

I also agree with Styrj. PvP should be an opt-in feature is for the best. I personally am a PVE player, but my sons love PVP also.

Making exclusive content for the PVP would help spur interest in participating, and making distinct environments (initially??) would help separate the operational code needed.

TRINITY

Postby TRINITY » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:44 pm

I used to live for developing pvp chars in the earlier days. Didnt really like the new pvp action that sprung up. My stalker Trin gave some real head aches im sure. I would love to get the community back together. Was an amazing adventure for sure

Remedies94

Postby Remedies94 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:44 pm

All you guys are cry babies, this game NEEDS to have open world pvp, atleast in some zones if it wants to be anywhere near as fun as CoX, Open world, and arena should both be in the game.

minifig404

Postby minifig404 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:45 pm

I hope no one is arguing for open PvP in every zone. Given a sufficient amount of PvE content, both arenas and clearly-marked open PvP areas can work, even in the same game. Depending on how the ship interacts with the galaxy, maybe it could be possible to travel to a "rogue sector." But, if the beginner zones include open-world PvP, that's going to make it far too easy to grief new players.

That said, Dev's call as to how much money there is in PvP vs. PvE.

Styrj

Postby Styrj » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:45 pm

All you guys are cry babies, this game NEEDS to have open world pvp, atleast in some zones if it wants to be anywhere near as fun as CoX, Open world, and arena should both be in the game.
And you, Remedies94, are a warmonger! The LAST thing this game needs is open world PVP. PVP should be VOLUNTARY and take place in distinctly marked zones/maps. Forced PVP in every zone/map will surely bring this game down before it gets a chance to grow & mature.
:D If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D

Blue Proteus

Postby Blue Proteus » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:45 pm

PvP is popular enough that I'd be willing to bet that it will be there in some form or another.

But as others have pointed out, open PvP everywhere is a recipe for disaster. I think having dangerous areas, whether in the city, or underground, or on other vessels in space would be great. But lots of people *aren't* interested in PvP that much, so they shouldn't have to be a part of it if they're primarily interested in other things.

But players should indeed be able to pound on each other to their heart's content in the danger zones. 8)

Silverphish

Postby Silverphish » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:45 pm

I'd like to see arena instances where the game changes from MMO to twitch style gameplay. There could be different kinds of arenas, like racing, aerial deathmatch, capture the flag, some kind of ball game, etc. This would allow a voluntary competitive element that wouldn't necessarily have to fit into a storyline. I also would prefer an emphasis on teamwork, while typical PvP is frequently about personal glory, who has the best button-masher script, and griefing.

Lazarus

Postby Lazarus » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:46 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing something like a PVP 'event' where you opt-in, play the 'event' - which could be an all-out melee for a set amount of time, or pick-up teams fighting to the death, or something otherwise relatively short - and then get rewards when it ends before returning to what you were doing before opting-in. I've seen that in The Secret World and thought that was a pretty interesting concept for PVP.

Remedies94

Postby Remedies94 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:46 pm

lol without pvp theres no real need to get gear ect, may as well play farmville, what are you going to do, get gear to see have fast you can run missions and farm all day for no reason just to make a new toon and run more missions? lol what made CoX sik was the whole travel powers plus city sized battlefields, hardly find a game like that, and the PvP zones dont have to be in the low level zones of course they dont even have to be part of the main story line, but there still should be the option to go to a open world pvp zone and just kill for fun/rewards. without it gg whichever game gets the open world pvp right will be the funnest therefore bring the most pop. but ok w/e enjoy farming 24/7

Golden Stone

Postby Golden Stone » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:46 pm

PVP in one or multiple full deck sized areas would be ideal, as well as some interesting ideas I read a few posts above above for arena, and race events. The thing to be avoided imho is involuntary PVP. If you are in an unsecured area you know what to expect, and what to bring. With that being said, extra risk could also bring extra reward by missioning in areas where you might just get jumped on the way to the door. My concern is that one would need a whole different set of gear for missioning vs PVP. Junk hunting for months on end just to find enough gear to avoid getting one shotted just doesn't seem like fun to me. Perhaps have some level of gear with switchable or dual attributes for each respectively?

Nightasy

Postby Nightasy » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:46 pm

In the various games I've played and worked on there's been different ways that PVP is handled. Some games have PVP, PVE and PVP/PVE servers. Other games have a combination of that along with Battlegrounds and Arenas. Nobody need worry, I'm just joining the conversation from a player perspective. I'm not saying the game is going to be any which way or the other, I don't make those decisions myself. The ship has a variety of levels on it much like the city level that we've all seen in the latest news post. What if various levels of the ship had various PVP oriented settings. For instance, one level is PvP and another is PvE, etc. Could be something to that, thoughts?

Wouldn't so much apply to entire planets that the ship visits as they would have to work differently but for the various levels of the ship itself? What do yall think? That would certainly be different from anything else I've seen. What if PvP wasn't a forced choice but an option? Like you could complete a series of quests on one story of the ship that is PvP oriented to reach the next series of levels or choose a different story of the ship to attain the same series of character levels that wasn't PvP oriented. I don't know, might be something to that. Sounds cool to me anyhow and if done right it might work. No one would be restricted to joining a server with a friend that likes PvP when they themselves don't. World PvP gets to be a thing while not forcing anyone to take part in it if they don't want to (so long as they don't go flying around in a story of the ship that has PvP on it.)

(By stories I mean like a building has floors, you know like the first floor the second floor, etc. The ship has several "floors" so to say.)

Like I said, I know I'm one of the developers but I'm also a gamer. Nothing I say is in anyway a "decision" but more just me having an idea and getting feedback about it. Us Devs all plan to play the game too 8D. Hopefully I'm understanding right but this sort of seems like what some of you are talking about. If I understand correctly.

Golden Stone

Postby Golden Stone » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:46 pm

To me that sounds like the best option, as well as perhaps some planets could be of a different security level than others. some might favor pvp while others would not so much?

Nightasy

Postby Nightasy » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:47 pm

To me that sounds like the best option, as well as perhaps some planets could be of a different security level than others. some might favor pvp while others would not so much?
Well, yea, if something like this was implemented it would have to make sense. There would need to be some sort of Lore related concept to make it work. Maybe on some levels of the ship if PvP is impossible it's because there is not enough Unobtanium dust present on that floor to make Hero powers work. Something like that maybe? Or some reason why PvP can't be done on that level of the ship. Just throwing out ideas here.

Return to “Ask the Devs”