Melee Staff Fighting

Odee

Melee Staff Fighting

Postby Odee » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:58 am

Are there any plans for Staff Fighting Melee skills on launch, like we had in CoH?
As I recall, some of the powerset you could:
1. Root single target with foot stabs
2. Knockdown multiple targets with a whirling low attack.
3. Knockback single with an uppercut swing.
4. Overhead smash that stunned/dazed/interrupted
5. Flail quick strike for high damage
6. Lunge attack for moderate damage

Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Re: Melee Staff Fighting

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:57 am

I am with you - Staff fighting has to be there :D
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:59 am

This is a good description. For right now we are preparing a spear powerset with some of the things you described. but when I read you post I was thinking that I wish I had seen this post twelve months ago when we made the animations for spear!

Spear is being worked on right now. But to get exactly what you are describing, we may need to create a new powerset, which does take some time.

Odee

Postby Odee » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:45 am

This is a good description. For right now we are preparing a spear powerset with some of the things you described. but when I read you post I was thinking that I wish I had seen this post twelve months ago when we made the animations for spear!

Spear is being worked on right now. But to get exactly what you are describing, we may need to create a new powerset, which does take some time.
If it helps any, here is a CoH teaser of the Spear powers in action.

https://youtu.be/WJOc4bkfeIw

Odee

Postby Odee » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:11 pm

New Emote mod in Paragon Chat, called Biter/PChat that has most of the staff fighting animations, and the staff itself shows if you have that class character use the emotes. I was shocked, and awed that the staff for my PChat recreation was the same from CoH.
It's only 3 files that are changed, and very quick to update.

Search https://crashpositron.wixsite.com/pchat ... itters-mod for the link, and follow instructions.

Odee

Postby Odee » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:19 pm

Why not both Consultant? Spear for Piercing damage, and Staff for Blunt. Could cut down on animations by using
similar moves for root, overheads, AOE and such, but with different powerset affects, maybe?

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:22 am

Eventually, it is quite likely that we will have Staff as well as Spear. I have not spoken about animation creation recently, but it takes quite a bit of time to make a powerset and have it be good. For example, Spear has been languishing a bit, falling behind other higher priority items, but we're on it now. But we did Mocap the original animations for Spear during Christmas break.

Christmas of 2017.

On the other hand, I forwarded and then discussed the video link you shared from the COH staff set, with the animator who is working on Spear, and he was excited to see it. So some insights can be gleaned from the speed of the powers in that video.

I'm hoping to see a revised version of Spear during January, and we'll be able to decide what modiciations we need to make, if any, before we can show off the set.

Spear and Staff both kind of get less attantion in games these days. we're going to try to push back against that trend.

Odee

Postby Odee » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:21 am

That's great news Consultant! Paragon Chat has a mod called Biter that also shows off the Staff motion set in chat now, if the animator needs more styles, or ideas. :) :geek:

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:45 am

Hey, if there is something else you'd to show, go ahead and record it an send it to us. We'll look at it. :)

Odee

Postby Odee » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:49 am

Hey, if there is something else you'd to show, go ahead and record it an send it to us. We'll look at it. :)
Here's some live action demo of a few moves with the staff, done slow, and with explanation. I'm working on something in Paragons Chat to show off the old CoH moves better. 45 degree top down and side views for each of the moves available. Will post as soon as I finish it.

https://youtu.be/6baBbBwGldk

And this guy starts out slow with 10 spinning guards/Defense, and Strikes demo. His speed is phenomenal.
https://youtu.be/ENqMy1BU2-Y

Actjcksn

Postby Actjcksn » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:51 pm

And this guy starts out slow with 10 spinning guards/Defense, and Strikes demo. His speed is phenomenal.
https://youtu.be/ENqMy1BU2-Y
Those spins make me think of staff as a defensive set. Looks like it could be quite effective and impressive.
3) Expect the Plan to go off the rails...
4) ...Throw away the Plan

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:48 pm

I actually discussed this video earler today with our animator who is working on the spear set now. Then we looked again at the COH clip that Odee sent.

We're kind of thinking we need to increase the speed of our animations for this powerset. Since our normal process is to begin with Mocap (that's an expert, doing the motions, wearing a special suit), we tend to get the kind of motions a human actually makes in real life for the powers. Then we clean them up, target them, and polish them to make them better than normal, but still withn the realm of a normally skilled human.

But some of this powerset's charm may be that the character is stretching the suspension of disbelief...he may need to strike faster than real life would allow, for example. and hit multiple targets without having his weapon lose momentum.

The real human in the clip (with over 3 million views) is amazingly fast. I don't know him, but I suppose he is some sort of super master of the Bo Staff.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:58 pm

Had to YouTube bo staff to see this guy.

Wow.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Odee

Postby Odee » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:43 pm

Had to YouTube bo staff to see this guy.

Wow.

IKR? Jake Mace has a certain elan in his demonstrations. Starts out slow, so you can follow, then goes into Don't Blink mode.

Polearms, such as the Spear, and Staff are great AOE crowd control, and devastating against single targets. IRL, I use an old style wood cane, when I can't conceal carry. In the right hands, a cane is like a blunt sword, and very effective at persuading nayer do-wells to leave you alone.

Odee

Postby Odee » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:46 pm

I actually discussed this video earler today with our animator who is working on the spear set now. Then we looked again at the COH clip that Odee sent.

We're kind of thinking we need to increase the speed of our animations for this powerset. Since our normal process is to begin with Mocap (that's an expert, doing the motions, wearing a special suit), we tend to get the kind of motions a human actually makes in real life for the powers. Then we clean them up, target them, and polish them to make them better than normal, but still withn the realm of a normally skilled human.

But some of this powerset's charm may be that the character is stretching the suspension of disbelief...he may need to strike faster than real life would allow, for example. and hit multiple targets without having his weapon lose momentum.

The real human in the clip (with over 3 million views) is amazingly fast. I don't know him, but I suppose he is some sort of super master of the Bo Staff.
Consultant, thanks for the nod. What speed is the mocap done at, and can you accelerate the capture in processing alone, if the mocap is relatively slow initially?

Return to “Ask the Devs”