Magic/Psychic Origins

broxen

Magic/Psychic Origins

Postby broxen » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:28 pm

My main in CoH was a Magic based angel archetype (I'm not actually religious, but it's a fun rp)

How does that character fit into the narrative of Ship of Heroes? Does magic even exist as a concept, or is it "sufficiently advanced technology..."

Are there magic based villians and villian groups like Circle of Thorns? Magic themed areas, like Croatoa in CoH? What about Psychic or Mind Control? How would a character like mine, or a character like Doctor Strange fit into this world?
-Broxen

Coyote

Re: Magic/Psychic Origins

Postby Coyote » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:51 pm

There are several sci-fi / fantasy books that utilize a scientific basis for magic.

The general concept usually is that magic is "hacking the universe", where patterns created by information (with thinking and awareness both being examples of highly dense information) can, if they match the right "codes", affect the material universe.

Patterned thought and concentration affecting reality, even if it's sourced as utilization of natural laws, is generally a good description of Magic. Especially so when you consider that magical precepts like study and concentration and formulas and such can all be considered ways to guide the thoughts of a self-aware entity into generating the correct patterns to affect the universe.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:39 pm

Well, the second enemy group are "dark magic" using cyborgs, so I'd say yes, probably :P
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Flagwaver

Postby Flagwaver » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:49 pm

Technically speaking, City of Heroes was science fiction. You have high tech humans (Malta) alongside alien invaders (Rikti) and magical people (Carnies). Even more, look at the various divisions of the city: DATA, MAGI, GIFT, ELITE, and SERAPH covering Tech, Magic, Mutant, Natural, and Scientific. They were all under the FBSA (Federal Bureau of Super-powered Affairs).

Magic in space is nothing new. Look at the idea of the Infinity Stones in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, for instance the Aether was a magical force that was able to be scanned with technology and used by a non-magical character to full effect. On the other hand, the Mind Stone was able to fully integrate into technology to produce Vision.

Magic is just power that is freely flowing through the universe and can be tapped into by those who know what they are doing. For those who know what they are doing, Magic can even be used to benefit a ship in space. Being able to warp the physical world with arcane power can do things that not even technology can do.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

A bullet may have a name on it, but 20 pounds of C4 is more of a "to whom it may concern."

broxen

Postby broxen » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:29 pm

I suppose my question is more specific to Ship of Heroes.

How does the games lore address Magic?
-Broxen

broxen

Postby broxen » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:52 am

Well, the second enemy group are "dark magic" using cyborgs, so I'd say yes, probably :P
Do you have any links where I can learn more about this?
-Broxen

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:32 am

In a YouTube interview (don't ask me to find it; I've watched/ listened to about 6 of them), they said that magic that created the potential for magic origin heroes originated on one of the planets that the HMS Justice will visit frequently. That magic infiltrated the Justice, and while it is not prevalent, it is there.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:31 pm

oooh my GladDog... yes that is a wonderful suggestion for a lore and storyline development and game build progression . visiting a planet... we get a new power story line, along with all the harvested goodies, new custom peaces made from the different planets inhabitants. Then along comes the bad guys that stowaway to infect the ship, and more work we have to do cleanse the ship. " A Heroes work is never done "
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:18 pm

Do you have any links where I can learn more about this?
Not yet, I basically just quoted everything I've ever seen from the devs on the subject so far :P

But it means, yes, we have magic. More details to follow as the game grows, I'd imagine.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:20 pm

oooh my GladDog... yes that is a wonderful suggestion for a lore and storyline development and game build progression . visiting a planet... we get a new power story line, along with all the harvested goodies, new custom peaces made from the different planets inhabitants. Then along comes the bad guys that stowaway to infect the ship, and more work we have to do cleanse the ship. " A Heroes work is never done "
This is the story they already have in place, this is solid lore. It was in one of the (hour long) interviews. I think we really need all of the interviews to be linked somewhere on this site, instead of having to go digging through youtube to find them all. Or have someone who's awesome transcribe them so they can be added to the forum here.
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

broxen

Postby broxen » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:35 am

This is the story they already have in place, this is solid lore. It was in one of the (hour long) interviews. I think we really need all of the interviews to be linked somewhere on this site, instead of having to go digging through youtube to find them all. Or have someone who's awesome transcribe them so they can be added to the forum here.
Ship of Heroes Wiki perhaps?
-Broxen

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:50 pm

*laughing*

I go to look up "sohwiki.com" for domain availability to buy/manage for the community....

Already taken and semi-configured.

I love you guys.

-Griff

broxen

Postby broxen » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:05 am

*laughing*

I go to look up "sohwiki.com" for domain availability to buy/manage for the community....

Already taken and semi-configured.

I love you guys.

-Griff
I guess I'm to blame for that. Seemed like if I thought a wiki would be useful, I should just make one.

I wanted to get a basic framework setup before really opening it up to anyone. That said, I think we're basically there. If anyone is interested in contributing, go to http://sohwiki.com/system:join for instructions on joining.
-Broxen

slacktech

Postby slacktech » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:32 am

Ship of Heroes Wiki perhaps?
Great idea :)

Return to “Ask the Devs”