Can We Have A Legacy Naming System?

Golden Ace

Re: Can We Have A Legacy Naming System?

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:49 pm

A simple answer to this is to hide the global name unless the character is targeted AND then the person looking needs to click 'inspect' or some such thing.
Concur.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Gamegod

Postby Gamegod » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:13 pm

While I agree that we should be able to identify who individuals are I just don’t want to see the tag name along with your superhero name - it just ruins the whole superhero experience. Superman is known as superman, not as superman@Clark_Kent.

As long as we have a way of identifying the individual by clicking on his name and seeing that full name I’m OK with it, but just being out in the open and running around every one should just see “Golden Ace” If someone wants know who I am they can click on my character to see the full name.
I rarely agree with anything anyone posts, but I love everything Golden Ace just said here.
Never say too much; always say enough. :roll:

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:58 pm

went through and this is what I came up with. basically 3 choices. unless I missed something.

now to figure out how to put it in question format. unless the Poll links to this post.

Option 1

• Choose any name you want as long as nobody else has chosen it first if they have, figure out another name. reserved, banned or not authorized names are off limits. This is the only name you have and nobody can make another character with that name. Very similar to City of Heroes before global names.
Option 2

• Choose any name you want with the exception of a reserved, banned or not authorized names. but these names will be connected to your global name. Global Names would be unique. Your global name will always be invisible; however you can be identified if you send out a broadcast message, you send or receive a private message, or someone clicks on your character and selects "identify". all of the above will show your current character name followed by your global name. With this system you can have multiple of the same name in the game at the same time.

Example:
    • Captain Flash-Bang when identified would show up as Captain Flash-Bang@Consultant
    • Captain Flash-Bang when identified would show up as Captain Flash-Bang@GladDog
This system does not allow you to be anonymous anyone could, with very little effort, find out who you are. However, you can /hide so you don’t show up on friends lists or on global searches.

Option 3

• Similar to option two with a few changes. Every Global name also has a numeric value based on order of signing up (or what have you). So with this system GladDog who has the number 17 associated with his global name could make Captain Flash-Bang that could be identified as either Captain Flash-Bang@17 or Captain Flash-Bang@GladDog. Further you have the option of being anonymous by requesting a code instead of your number or global. The code will last 10 days. At which time it will revert to your global.

Example:
    • You requests a random code for Captain Flash-Bang, which ends up being 1234aB~!. This code is assigned to you for 10 days. So now you are using Captain Flash-Bang@1234aB~!. The only people that would know who you are the ones on your friends list, and you can still /hide so you are not showing up online to anyone. After 10 days your character’s name will automatically revert to your global name, or you can request a new random code.

Option 4

• Tell us what you want.

Banned or not authorized and reserved names explanation

• Banned or not authorized names would be the likes of Superman, Hellboy, Captain America, along with any name that is not polite to say in public - No profanity.
  • Reserved names are names that have been reserved by people who have donated to a certain level.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:07 pm

On a side note Dev's will always know who you are. They can always see your global and tell if you are online even if you are hidden.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:39 am

I'm interested to see how the community will cooperate and bring this home, with a single naming policy approved by all (or mostly all).

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:07 am

Maybe this would be a good poll question? It would probably require a lengthy lead up paragraph so people really understand what they are voting for.

This poll question relates to the naming policy in Ship of Heroes.
*Having unique names means that no names can be duplicated. This means that names could be 'horded' to sell, or a popular name you would like to use may be already gone.
*Global names means that names can be re-used. For example you can have Fire Lord@Golden Ace and Fire Lord@GladDog. As an option, players can use a number - my suggestion is to use the order you register your SoH account - if you are the 17th person to register with SoH, you Global name would be a choice between your chosen family name and your number. If I was 17th, I could choose between Fire Lord@GladDog or Fire Lord@17. Global names would be hidden, although they can be revealed by targeting the character and clicking 'identify'.
*Another option would add the ability to add a random string of numbers as your global name. Only the dev team could identify you with this chain of numbers. This would be a good option if you really want to solo and not be easily identifiable.

**One exception to global names would be reserved names. You get one when you sig n up for an account, and you can get additional reserved names based on your donation level. Minimum for this is $50 to add one name. People using their unique names would never have their global name attached to it.

The dev team needs to be able to identify every player in case a situation that compromises the community friendly atmosphere SoH is trying to generate occurs.

---------------------------------------------

That said, here is the poll.

-------------------------------------------

What naming convention would you prefer for Ship of Heroes?

1 - Unique names only

2 - global names attached to all names other than reserved names.

3 - same as choice 2, but adding the ability to request temporary random global identifiers to increase anonymity.

4 - Something else - tell us in the forums.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

brando81373

Postby brando81373 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:17 am

I like option two. (And nice work gathering all the posts into a poll!)

mjplb

Postby mjplb » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:48 pm

Would it be possible to have option 3 be instead numerical based off of toons with said name created? So if I'm the first Fire Lord it'd be Fire Lord@1 if I'm the fifth Fire Lord, it's Fire Lord@5 then it brings anonymity without needing a generator... So you could switch between the two.

Another reason I like this a little better is because if you're shooting for something a little more unique then when you're creating your toon, before you enter the game it'll give you the global identifier option, so if you're the 357th Fire Lord it'll let you know. You could choose to mess with your name little more to be unique, or for RP you really want Fire Lord then so be it...
“So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.” Christopher Reeve

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:21 pm

There are three reasons for global names; one is so that the 'good' names won't disappear too quickly, Another reason is to prevent 'name selling' which happened a lot in early CoH. You can't sell a name if anyone can use it! The third reason is so that GMs can quickly find an identity. Using the same designators for all characters means it will be easy to find someone. So if my family name is GladDog and I am the 17th person to register, ALL of my characters will be @GladDog or @17. making it easy to find out who I am for the GM.

The system you proposed would mean it would be a lot more work to find the offender, if someone is offending. The lone exception proposed, a 10 day random generated string, would be a lot of work for a GM to find. For that reason I would rather not see it in game. However, some people want the ability to run in the game incognito, so we have to give them something to work with. If such a system was put in the game but was greatly abused, then the system could be taken out of the game.

KeyboardNotPresent

Postby KeyboardNotPresent » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:19 pm

I would like to see a slightly modified version of option 2. With global names you could have multiple characters named, for example, Dark Tornado running around so it would be nice to be recognized as the first to pick that name. Perhaps by giving the name a different color.

Black Tornado (Color for the first to pick the name)
Black Tornado (Color for the second to pick the name)
Black Tornado (Standard color)
Black Tornado (Standard color)

mjplb

Postby mjplb » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:26 pm

I can understand where you're coming from with the registered user, instead of toon created, Fire Lord@1 would still register with the user account just the same as would Fire Lord@mjplb. But all that is neither here nor there honestly, just thought about the amount of players that might want a specific name, and if you're going for unique and couldn't tell until you're running around and suddenly see a mass of same named toons then that might be a little odd. But this might all be mute anyways because I'm assuming most of us are creative enough to come up with decent names if we are allowed maybe 25 characters per name.
“So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.” Christopher Reeve

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:01 pm

I can understand where you're coming from with the registered user, instead of toon created, Fire Lord@1 would still register with the user account just the same as would Fire Lord@mjplb. But all that is neither here nor there honestly, just thought about the amount of players that might want a specific name, and if you're going for unique and couldn't tell until you're running around and suddenly see a mass of same named toons then that might be a little odd. But this might all be mute anyways because I'm assuming most of us are creative enough to come up with decent names if we are allowed maybe 25 characters per name.
Getting 'good' names became a problem early on in CoH. That is why CO released with a global naming system - both games made by Cryptic, and naming became a serious headache for them, that was solved by global names. Some people were 'name hoarding', taking names they had seen in other games and trying to sell them. I'm sure it was profitable at first, when the game was new, but these same people would hold onto the names when they quit playing. This became such a problem that the CoH dev team reset the name of any character that was under level 35 and had not played for 60 days. They did this continually while Cryptic was running the show. I had a couple of friends that had their names taken away while they were taking a break. One had a 33 Scrapper lose his name... When Paragon took over, they lowered the threshold to level 10.

The point is that global names solved huge problems, which is why I support them.

KeyboardNotPresent

Postby KeyboardNotPresent » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:44 pm

Getting 'good' names became a problem early on in CoH.
I totally agree. It was very frustrating to come up with a cool concept only to find out the name was taken then try name after name until you found one even remotely suitable to the idea you had in mind. I have a friend that told me he won't go near the game if the names aren't global. I'm sure he's an exception but that sentiment does exist out there.

For example, I go to name my character Sun Stone:

Sun Stone (taken)
Sunstone (taken)
Sun-stone (nope, taken)
Solar stone (taken)
Solarstone (taken)
Sol Stone (Seriously?)
Solstone (taken)
Sol-stone (nope, begin banging your head on the desk)

Eventually you end up with a goofy name like Sun Stone. (with a period) or Sun St0ne (with a zero in place of the O). Or even worse: $un $t0ne

Then you try to team and have to patiently explain that the O is really a zero or the 1 is an l or something similar. Not fun.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu May 02, 2019 6:56 am

I think we're closing in on an answer.

olepi

Postby olepi » Fri May 03, 2019 12:54 pm

I understand why people want global names. But I also don't want to see two different characters with the same name. I surely don't want to see another Olepi playing.

"Don't invite Olepi, he's a jerk!"

"That's the *other* Olepi"
2019: 42 years on the Net.

Return to “Ask the Devs”