Can We Have A Legacy Naming System?

Echo 6

Can We Have A Legacy Naming System?

Postby Echo 6 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:55 am

Can we have a “Legacy Naming” system in game?

Often when I was playing CoH I would create a character with the perfect costume, name, and backstory but the power set wasn’t quite right. So I made due and RP’d the powers that didn’t quite mesh with my story/character concept. However, sure enough, to my excitement, a power set would come available in a update later on.

But there lies the problem. Here I am with a level 50 character with the perfect name that I now have to delete, quickly remake my costume in the character creator, and hope in that time spent remaking that no one took my name before I launched him again. With my only other options being add to the name with a number or something weird. But the issue with this is not only do I loose my level 50 character but I also possibly loose the name I had.

I know some may say “well whats the problem with that? Come up with a new name and character.” . But for hardcore RPer’s having every element of the correct is what makes these games a lot of fun. Dedicating time to your "primary" characters to get the details right is what keeps you coming back. MMORPG’s is the only place we can live out that vision of a character we worked so hard on and immerse ourselves in the game.

Which is why I would like to request a Legacy Naming System in game. Where if you have the name “Super Fry” for a character you can choose to passed down that name to another new character you create. Instead of being forced to name him or her “Super Fry2”. There could be an added rule to the system where during the process of the name passing on the original characters name should be changed or the original character would be unable to reenter the game until a new name is decided.

This also works for those who are RPing that their hero is retired, died, disappeared, etc. Because now the name can be RPed to be taken up by a sidekick or another character to carry on their original characters legacy. I’m thinking characters like Wally West aka the Flash, Carol Danvers aka Captain Marvel, and so many others that this has happen to in mainstream comics. There even could be an end game mission attached to it that possibly gives you this option similar to the respec missions in CoH.

In closing I really think this could be unique and fun feature to have in the game for RPer’s and casual gamers a like. That not only functions for the player but adds more story elements to the game in general. It could truly add to the super hero themes while opening up the players creativity.

Blaze Rocker

Re: Can We Have A Legacy Naming System?

Postby Blaze Rocker » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:32 pm

Without a Legacy Naming System this issue could be dealt with quickly in the final years of CoH. You needed one Character Rename Token and the desired costume saved to a file, which could be accomplished from either the start of a new game by playing around with the CC or from any Icon store while playing around with an existing character.

With the costume savefile at the ready for the unmade character, and a replacement name ready for the existing character, you use the Rename Token on the existing character and logout to the character creator. Choose the desired AT, powersets, load the costume savefile, and punch in the desired name and register the name. The whole process should have taken less than three minutes and the odds of losing the desired name in that three minutes were pretty darn slim. I might have even used that method myself at least once.*

Outside of a legacy system, I would suggest that a reservation/cool-down period allow an account to hold on to a newly disused name anywhere from ten minutes to twenty-four hours so that you can decide whether or not you want it back. - Of course if HGC is going with a Global naming system for SoH rather than CoH's old method then this probably won't be necessary at all.

*Actually, I remember using this method at least a couple of times for rerolling the same character into different archetypes or power sets. On occasion I even reworked the character's bio to indicate the change.
Last edited by Blaze Rocker on Thu May 02, 2019 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
How many people telling the same lie does it take for that lie to become true?

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:36 pm

We're still hoping the community will come up with a widely accepted naming system through discussion here in the forums.

But we agree something has to be done so that players can hold onto a name they are using and want to move to a new character.

Echo 6

Postby Echo 6 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:44 pm

Without a Legacy Naming System this issue could be dealt with quickly in the final years of CoH. You needed one Character Rename Token and the desired costume saved to a file, which could be accomplished from either the start of a new game by playing around with the CC or from any Icon store while playing around with an existing character.

With the costume savefile at the ready for the unmade character, and a replacement name ready for the existing character, you use the Rename Token on the existing character and logout to the character creator. Choose the desired AT, powersets, load the costume savefile, and punch in the desired name and register the name. The whole process should have taken less than three minutes and the odds of losing the desired name in that three minutes were pretty darn slim. I might have even used that method myself at least once.

Outside of a legacy system, I would suggest that a reservation/cool-down period allow an account to hold on to a newly disused name anywhere from ten minutes to twenty-four hours so that you can decide whether or not you want it back. - Of course if HGC is going with a Global naming system for SoH rather than CoH's old method then this probably won't be necessary at all.
I stopped playing City of Heroes towards the end due to me finishing up school. But I hope Ship of Heroes doesn't follow that route. Because what would happen if your computer crashed or a power outage happened while you were in the process of changing the name? It be nice to have a sure fire way to just keep the ball rolling if you wanted to switch characters without being "punished" for doing so. On top of that it the CoH way seems like a lot of trouble to go through just to move a name you claimed onto another character.

City of Heroes was great but there are quite a few things I hope doesn't make it into this game. That sorta feels like one of them. At least to me.
We're still hoping the community will come up with a widely accepted naming system through discussion here in the forums.

But we agree something has to be done so that players can hold onto a name they are using and want to move to a new character.
Do you think it I should post my idea in the poll section of the forum to see if it gets any traction? Or do you feel like this idea isn't really viable for Ship of Heroes?

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:57 pm

My suggestion is for you to write up a poll question here, along with possible answers and let's see if the community wants to edit the text.

Echo 6

Postby Echo 6 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:30 pm

My suggestion is for you to write up a poll question here, along with possible answers and let's see if the community wants to edit the text.
Done! Hopefully, we will get some good feed back. :D

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:01 pm

Hadn't it been decided that SoH was going with the Global Naming System so that anyone could make a "Dr. Evil" if they wanted to and their attached global name would always differentiate them from everyone else?

Or had that idea finally been turned down and I missed it?

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:46 pm

Hadn't it been decided that SoH was going with the Global Naming System so that anyone could make a "Dr. Evil" if they wanted to and their attached global name would always differentiate them from everyone else?

I think that's the way we were heading and I'm all for it as long as I can turn off the global name so I can't see it. the other suggestion that I liked was for your global name to be locked for a character. so if your global is blaze rocker no one else can get blaze rocker for a character.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Dezzer

Postby Dezzer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:50 pm

If a global naming system were implemented, not that I am opposed to it, what is the point of reserving a name as a reward to the donators? Do we know how the reserve system is going to work yet?
Some will say the glass is half full,
Others will say the glass is half empty,
I say just give me the drink! Cheers!

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:17 pm

Dezzer
If a global naming system were implemented, not that I am opposed to it, what is the point of reserving a name as a reward to the donators? Do we know how the reserve system is going to work yet?
I don't know but as long as I can reserve my global name, I'm good.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:18 pm

This is my idea on this;

Have global names. That way you don't have to worry about names at all. I could have Fire Lord@GladDog, and you could have Fire Lord@Echo 6. If you were the only Fire Lord on the server at the time, your global name would not show.

If you did not want to have your global name shown to the world, then you could choose a number that represents the order that you registered into the game compared to other players. So if you were the 14th person to register into the game, you could choose @echo 6 as your global, or @14. And you could change between them at will in the options menu. If I was the 36th person, then I could choose @GladDog or @36. So my character could be Fire Lord@GladDog, or Fire Lord@36.

There is an exception; If you donated enough to get a unique name, you get that name. If you choose Echo 6 as your unique name, no one else can take that name. And, your name would not have the global marker. So your character would show as Echo 6. Nothing else, and there would not be another Echo 6 in the game. If you donated enough to get two unique names, they are yours and no one else can ever use those two names.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Echo 6

Postby Echo 6 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:59 pm

Is the donation idea an actual thing or are you just suggesting it?

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:37 pm

GladDog
There is an exception; If you donated enough to get a unique name, you get that name. If you choose Echo 6 as your unique name, no one else can take that name. And, your name would not have the global marker. So your character would show as Echo 6. Nothing else, and there would not be another Echo 6 in the game. If you donated enough to get two unique names, they are yours and no one else can ever use those two names.
That sounds acceptable. Although anybody wanting names like Dr. Feelgood or Neo would then have to settle for alternate spellings all thanks to the people with the biggest bank accounts.
So, if I have any say in that method I would recommend that name reservations be available only to those that can truly afford it. If somebody really wants that name to be theirs, make 'em pay for it. That may sound like a bad thing but just think about all of those special features, years down the road, that that money could pay for. It isn't all bad.

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:51 pm

Donations page.

Note the Stylish, Deep Pockets, and Prolific reward levels.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:54 am

You can reserve one name at $50 donations, and two names at $500. If you are REALLY into the game, you can reserve 3 more names (total of 5) for a $5000 donation...
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Return to “Ask the Devs”